• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I don't have a lot of experience with them, but have handled and shot one a good amount. I'll say for the money, they're pretty nice. A pretty good shooter, not the best 1911 trigger IMO though. Fit n finish isn't as good as some other 1911s. Out of the couple thousand rounds my buddy put out of his, and the few hundred I've put out no issues as far as functionality.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    pretty good value gun but when it comes to upgrading them tings like trigger parts dont always interchange wth other 1911 parts, their safeties break frequenty. I have seen ths frrst hand.
    I confess I am a "bit" of a snob on the 1911 platorm, not that I have a favorite brand I just appreciate a quality gun.
    I have owned and worked in Taurus 1911's. I wont waste my time ever doing a trigger job on one again and will never own one in 1911 again.

I try not to post negitive about brands but I would go a different route.

IMHO

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What I've heard about them is that they are hit or miss. You could get one that's great, but you have just as big of a chance of getting a lemon. My buddy and I rented one at Parabellum last month and it worked fine. Felt pretty good, shot decently, though it had a spongy trigger. Overall it wasn't bad. For admittedly more money, you can pick up a Ruger SR1911. I have one and love it and I haven't heard a bad thing posted about it. I got mine for right around $600, which was a heck of a deal for a gun with so much quality and some nice features. The trigger was also very nice, which was a bonus. I would choose the Ruger over the Taurus simply due to their reliability and reputation. There are other guns around that price as well that are very good, like the SA Range Officer. Good luck researching and finding a 1911 that's right for you :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For that price point I would "Have" to throw a few more dollars in the budget and step "UP" to at least the Ruger.
    Having owned/shot both, Rugar hands down.
    Better Warr. and just an all around better gun.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have owned 2 and currently carry my 1911AR. I got it used and it was fired enough to show wear and Ive put about 400 through it and replaced a few cosmetic things but I say they are a good buy and worth it if you can get a good price on one. When it comes to guns or anything else you can always go better quality and higher price but a Taurus 1911 is a nice piece. Anything is hit or miss in my experience.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I own one and have shot another. Haven't had a single issue with either. The finish on the blued models aren't great. Once you get a couple rounds down range and loosen it up, you can hear a slight jiggle, meaning the fit isn't perfect. They're great for the price, though. If Taurus is at the top of your price range, go for it.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have had a couple in the past, and have a stainless one now. All three ran perfect with no issues. As far as 1911s go, I also have a Kimber, Colt, Detonics, and a retro build with an Essex frame and a 1944 Ithaca slide. When I take a .45 to the range, I usually grab the Taurus. I wouldn't pay MSR for one, but good deals can be found for them if you look.

Dave

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    For the price unless they are giving them away again for $300 is to get a ruger or catch a sig on sale.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Spend a little more (very little) and get a Rock Island

And yes I do own one, I just think the Rock Islands are a better value.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    pretty good value gun but when it comes to upgrading them tings like trigger parts dont always interchange wth other 1911 parts, their safeties break frequenty. I have seen ths frrst hand.
    I confess I am a "bit" of a snob on the 1911 platorm, not that I have a favorite brand I just appreciate a quality gun.
    I have owned and worked in Taurus 1911's. I wont waste my time ever doing a trigger job on one again and will never own one in 1911 again.

I try not to post negitive about brands but I would go a different route.

IMHO

For that price point I would "Have" to throw a few more dollars in the budget and step "UP" to at least the Ruger.
    Having owned/shot both, Rugar hands down.
    Better Warr. and just an all around better gun.
    We'll here you have 2 Jedi master smiths of the 1911 platform and they are both saying stay away from the Taurus. To me this is like the clouds parting and a hand reaching down from the sky and slapping me in the face and saying "need more proof?" !!!
    N n n n n n NO SIR!

so I'll not be buying one. Take your own chance I guess. Not worth even a 50/50 shot to me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We'll here you have 2 Jedi master smiths of the 1911 platform and they are both saying stay away from the Taurus. To me this is like the clouds parting and a hand reaching down from the sky and slapping me in the face and saying "need more proof?" !!!
    N n n n n n NO SIR!

so I'll not be buying one. Take your own chance I guess. Not worth even a 50/50 shot to me.

Exactly right. You can take their advice as gospel.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I don't take anyone's advice as gospel, even my own!

I bought one of the "pimped out" Taurus 1911AR's when CDNN ran them for $399. I got the .38 Super model with the dark black blue job and gold accented trigger, safety, grip safety and hammer. Don't really care for the looks, but I had never had a 1911 in .38 Super. I own 7 other 1911's, Colt's, Springfield's and a Les Baer. The Taurus isn't the equal of my other guns, but I haven't had any problems with it. It seems a lot more muzzle heavy with that rail.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I had a matte stainless Taurus 1911. I thought fit and finish was very good, and it shot very well, but I shot it very little. I needed some money for some projects, so it was first to go. I regret getting rid of it, but if I buy another 1911 I have heard good things about the Magnum Research full size, and the entry level STI.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Mine has shot flawlessy for the time I've had it...a little over a year. It's a range gun only and I shoot cheap brass FMJ, Fedeal aluminum case, and yes Tulammo steel cased rounds. I paid a whopping $459 out the door. My only gripe would be the thin parkerized? finish.
    And as far as the safetie...the early runs had an issue with the ambidextrous safeties coming apart (not constantly breaking). It's a Taurus...if one safety falls apart, 100 guys had issues and it's junk, lol.
    It's a great gun for the money....IF you get a bad one, Taurus will pay shipping and make it right. If it's used and someone jacked it up...shipping is on you but the warranty is for life.
    Taurus issues have been amplified drastically online in my opinion. Look at real failure percentages and turn around time from actual owners. There are better out there, yes, but a good value imho.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I bought a Taurus back in 2007 during my last year in school....I would have obviously preferred a Springfield or Kimber, but on my broke college kid budget I ended up with a Taurus 1911, a Lee reloading kit, and a Kimber .22 conversion kit for it.

I'm not going to say it's better than the higher end 1911's, but I've had no issues with mine. I adjusted the trigger overtravel adjusting screw a little snug, and had resulting issues with light primer strikes, but after backing it out a few turns, it was running like a top again. My only real complaint is the finish. It's thin, it's no secret. I might have it refinished one day.

I've got it's twin brother in 9mm....runs the same (though I really haven't shot it very much at all), especially after putting a lighter recoil spring for 115 gr vs. the 125 gr ammo that Taurus recommends. The trigger isn't as good as my .45 though.

Even though I have no real complaints about my two, if I was in the market for a 1911 today (with a non-broke-college kid budget), it'd be a Ruger, no doubt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom