• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Go on and get yourself one Sir..............you deserve it, lol.
    Bought a Remington model 31 with a poly-choke years ago at an estate auction 'cause it was cheap and I'd never owned one. Turned out to be a fine rabbit and upland bird gun. Ammo can be a bit hard to find sometimes but not impossible.
    A sweet 16 at moderate price may be harder to find than the ammo.
    Good luck with your search.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Go on and get yourself one Sir..............you deserve it, lol.
    Bought a Remington model 31 with a poly-choke years ago at an estate auction 'cause it was cheap and I'd never owned one. Turned out to be a fine rabbit and upland bird gun. Ammo can be a bit hard to find sometimes but not impossible.
    A sweet 16 at moderate price may be harder to find than the ammo.
    Good luck with your search.
    Good to see you on here again. How's the new place going?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    That would be too pretty to take out.
    why is that so cheap? 1200?
    12 days left so I'd guess it's a new listing. Put it in your "watch" list and see what happens. Odds are it will get bid up with a few days left then really go up with a few hours left. Watched many guns on there and that's how it goes.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    As far as the Browning 16ga goes, the "Sweet Sixteen" is to their regular 16ga what the "Light Twelve" is to the A5. For some reason people go nuts for the light Browning.

If it were me, I would get a A5 in 16ga (some call it pre-sweet sixteen) and put the other $1200-1500 back in my pocket.

They are out there from FN and the only issue is the older ones could be chambered in something other than 2 3/4.

I looked at an A5 16ga in great shape, 2 3/4 chambered one at the Orleans show for $500, I bought one 3-4 years ago for $325.

It is hard to get the 16ga shells in the # shot you desire just by walking into a store on a whim. It has to be bought when it is there and believe it or not Walmart does carry it. Most of it is heavy loaded in 7.5 and 8 shot but other offerings do appear.

I can't even tell you how many 16's I have, nor how many 12's, but I never had something get away because it was shot with a 16 and not a 12. I have even bought a few from Kennedy. If you stay away from the "sweet" one they are quite affordable and great to shoot.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Ammo is sporadic at Hammond Cabela's. Sometimes they have Herter's for $16 a box. I picked up some Federal hunting loads several months ago for 30-35 as I recall and have a stash.

Sometimes kick myself for not getting a nice sweet 16 they had at Cabela's awhile back for a bit over 800. Thought I had bought a F.A.I.R. Iside off gunbroker until I sent a MO and then they told me they had to order it and may take 4-6 months so I got my money back.

I layed off the idea until I stumbled into Westforth's last year and they had this LeFever Nitro Special SxS. It's a nice tight gun so I bought it for $280 and shot it better at practice trap then I did my Browning Citori Lightening which is my favorite shotgun. There was one on GB lately they were asking 365 for.
    sxs.jpg
    sxs2.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    As far as the Browning 16ga goes, the "Sweet Sixteen" is to their regular 16ga what the "Light Twelve" is to the A5. For some reason people go nuts for the light Browning.

If it were me, I would get a A5 in 16ga (some call it pre-sweet sixteen) and put the other $1200-1500 back in my pocket.

They are out there from FN and the only issue is the older ones could be chambered in something other than 2 3/4.

I looked at an A5 16ga in great shape, 2 3/4 chambered one at the Orleans show for $500, I bought one 3-4 years ago for $325.

It is hard to get the 16ga shells in the # shot you desire just by walking into a store on a whim. It has to be bought when it is there and believe it or not Walmart does carry it. Most of it is heavy loaded in 7.5 and 8 shot but other offerings do appear.

I can't even tell you how many 16's I have, nor how many 12's, but I never had something get away because it was shot with a 16 and not a 12. I have even bought a few from Kennedy. If you stay away from the "sweet" one they are quite affordable and great to shoot.
    I haven't seen A5's at those prices for a while. That's a good find.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I haven't seen A5's at those prices for a while. That's a good find.
    There were some good finds to be had at that show if you had the time to look.

One seller had a 1920's Savage 99 in 30-30 (a tough caliber to find) in great condition, except someone put a sling on it, he would sell for $800. That is about 2/3rds of current value. I had a hard time not bringing it home with me...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was pushed, involuntarily into the 16ga caliber.
    A friend showed me a J.C.Higgens 16ga bolt action shotgun that had a broken stock.
    The wrist was cracked all the way through.
    He asked me if I could repair this stock.

I told him I'd see what I could do.
    I pried the crack open far enough to get a good bit of wood glue in the crack.
    I clamped it together best I could and set it aside to dry.

Meanwhile, back at superhero headquarters, I decided to see if I could just find a replacement for the stock.
    To my surprise, I found a used stock for this shotgun model for $15 SHIPPED!

This is a good friend so I bought the replacement stock without even asking him.

When the replacement stock came in I installed it and took it back to my friend.
    He looked it over, said good job, and handed it back to me telling me it was now mine!

I probably have 200 rounds of 16ga shells that one person or another have given me.
    No, it's not a Sweet 16, but a free shotgun is nothing to sneeze at.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    For some reason, I have been thinking about getting a 16...
    What is currently available that would be worth trying out?
    But I don't want to spend a fortune...
    If I found a decent Sweet Sixteen...
    I have 3 16 gauges, a Wards Hercules Model 10 single barrel that was my great Grandpa's, a JC Higgin's Model 583.21 bolt action that was my Uncle's, and a Stevens Model 770 pump that my Dad gave me, so no, I am not qualified to be talking you out of one. A man who was a big influence on me growing up had one of the Original Ithaca Deer Slayer pumps and also bought one when they were re-released. He loved the 16 gauge.

Reactions: Mij

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was pushed, involuntarily into the 16ga caliber.
    A friend showed me a J.C.Higgens 16ga bolt action shotgun that had a broken stock.
    The wrist was cracked all the way through.
    He asked me if I could repair this stock.

I told him I'd see what I could do.
    I pried the crack open far enough to get a good bit of wood glue in the crack.
    I clamped it together best I could and set it aside to dry.

Meanwhile, back at superhero headquarters, I decided to see if I could just find a replacement for the stock.
    To my surprise, I found a used stock for this shotgun model for $15 SHIPPED!

This is a good friend so I bought the replacement stock without even asking him.

When the replacement stock came in I installed it and took it back to my friend.
    He looked it over, said good job, and handed it back to me telling me it was now mine!

I probably have 200 rounds of 16ga shells that one person or another have given me.
    No, it's not a Sweet 16, but a free shotgun is nothing to sneeze at.
    I used my BIL's 16 gauge Mossberg bolt action with Poly-choke to hunt rabbits for a bit when I was a kid. I could get 3 shots off at a rabbit if I had to with that thing (and sometimes it took me to the third shot to hit the rabbit :): ). He had refinished the stock with BLO but he had some major effort in it. The finish was as shiny as a polyurethane finish.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Sweet16 was my first hunting shotgun, my father bought it for me when I was 12 (many, many years ago). Belgium made (50's) with vent rib barrel. Will never let it go, period!
    Yes, 16 is getting harder to find and I buy when I have some extra $$. Nice balance between the 12 and the 20 (and yes i have those as well) vent rib and 50's Belgian manufactured.
    Don't pass up a piece of history, you just can't beat a Browning A5 made in Belgium!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sweet16 was my first hunting shotgun, my father bought it for me when I was 12 (many, many years ago). Belgium made (50's) with vent rib barrel. Will never let it go, period!
    Yes, 16 is getting harder to find and I buy when I have some extra $$. Nice balance between the 12 and the 20 (and yes i have those as well) vent rib and 50's Belgian manufactured.
    Don't pass up a piece of history, you just can't beat a Browning A5 made in Belgium!
    I have the 12 mag and the lightweight In A5. I have plenty of 12s and 20s. I think the only 16 I have is a Win 97.

Top Bottom