• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I think you may be missing the point of the distraction. In my case, it was to draw his attention from the kid to me, take the risk on myself to protect the kid. I'd be gambling that it would take him time to shift his point of aim from kid to me and that I can take advantage of that fraction of a second to drop him. A gamble, but aided by the fact that even if he gets a shot off, it won't be well aimed (he won't have time for a "well aimed" shot) and, well, statistics are that there are about 6-8 wounded for every one killed by gunshots. Under those circumstances, I have a lot better chance of surviving than the kid does at essentially zero range with a rifle pointed at his head.

And even if I lose the gamble, I'm still likely to get my shot off or give someone else the opportunity to jump him.

My model in this was the church shooting some time back where the shooter was stopped by an armed parishoner serving as volunteer security. The other hero in that case was a vet who was not security and when one of the other "volunteer security" people was cowering and wouldn't loan the vet his gun, the vet jumped up as a distraction, drawing the attacker's attention (and getting wounded in the process) long enough to give the other volunteer security person her shot.

"Rule one: protect the innocent." It's the motto of the lead character in my webcomic, but I'd like to think it could serve as my own motto as well.

Exactly. If the man has a gun to the head of a child you don't have time to try to get into a better position without risking the child dying. You have to act NOW!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. My thinking is that yelling would not only distract him, but it would also be distracting to me.

pinshootrs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    I would run towards him, gun drawn, screaming get down, drop the gun etc. when he raises the gun to shoot me or shoot the kid, start firing, by then you should be point blank.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I would draw as I yell "You just won 5000 dollars!" at the top of my lungs. Sometimes something crazy can distract someone even if they are focused. Perhaps when he looked I would have a clear shot depending on the distance. Perhaps someone else would jump on him. I would be hesitant to step into the hallway with him holding a rifle, but if he gets a clear shot to me, then I should also have one on him. I would go gun to gun with someone to MAYBE save a child, or at least I hope / would like to think that I would.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd draw the best shot that I have and move to to get the better shot. I would not yell, or warning shoot. I would take him by surprise and hopefully before the kid, if I don't stop him before the kid, it will bother me the rest of my life, but I want the shot that puts him down, and he doesn't get the next person. I do not know how he will respond, he may turn toward me, he may just shoot the kid. I do not know if a warning shot will have any impact.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm with BloodEclipse. Put one in the ceiling to draw his attention away from the kid. If I had a shot, I'd take it, but the description states that you have no clear shot. If the obstruction is a wall or sign, sure, take the shot. But if it's screaming people, I wouldn't risk it.

Additionally, if you fire, people will scatter from you, and you may suddenly have opened up a shot at the bad guy.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    engage immediately

I would fire on the man with the rifle immediately whether the shot was clear or not. My next move is dependent on the rifleman's move. I imagine he would retreat immediately, he is coward if he is about to shoot a child on the floor.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    What do you mean, "I open the door?"

I'm staying put, 'cause I'm a big scaredy cat, and I'm on my cell phone with the gun pointed at the door. Wouldn't even see the kid!

I shoot 10 to 50 round per day, depending on what I've had time to handload the night before. My weapon is dialed in to hit a human eyeball sized target at 15yds, and I am confident in my ability to do this. If we must get the child involved, I would get a clear line of sight, even if it meant charging through the crowd (or whatever), and get the shot off as he was bringing the rifle to bear on me (hopefully not more than halfway up).

CQC: Pistol fast. Rifle slow(er). Even the M4 from what I've seen.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A well braced and well placed shot to the medulla. Look past the perp and see what is down range...block or brick wall? more kids? I would use the door jam to steady my weapon and shoot for his head. Maybe I could assume a lowered position to change my trajectory over the heads of innocents down range. I would not break cover against a rifle. Spare mag in my hand. If I miss, God forbid, he may come for me...and I would probable be trapped like a rat. I would have trouble not blaming myself if my startling the perp made him pull the trigger on the child. Turn him off like a switch.... base of the brain... One shot one kill

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I shoot. I'm confident enough in my pistoleering (tested under time pressure in competition) at "fast-food hallway distances" to make a partially obstructed shot. Pass-through with a 185-grain hydrashock is a risk and a consideration, but in ten seconds my answer is still shoot.

Top Bottom