• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I take fresh picked corn, put it in a cooler covered with water and ice for 1-2 hours, cook it in the husks on a medium hot grill for 20 minutes turning halfway through. When cooked this way the silks come off very easy as you peel the husks.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I take fresh picked corn, put it in a cooler covered with water and ice for 1-2 hours, cook it in the husks on a medium hot grill for 20 minutes turning halfway through. When cooked this way the silks come off very easy as you peel the husks.

That how i cook it too! Dipped in butter and salted...UMMMMM

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just a note to add. Part of the reason this is so good is the amount of time it takes for sweet corn to deteriorate. Did you know that about one hour from being picked the sugar in sweet corn starts rapidly turning to a more complex starch? That is if it is not refrigerated or kept cool.
    I know y'all couldn't live another day without that bit of info! :)

You can also shuck it and give it a fifteen minute soak in ice water with 1 drop of lemon juice and 2 drops of clorox bleach(plain unscented) per gallon of water. And it will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge compared to 1-2 days un-soaked.

YouTube - Good Eats S2E14P1: Ear Apparent
    He starts talking about the enzymes about 5:20, and the soak about 7:10
    ETA I have NOT tried this yet.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am at 4.50.

Corn is better off kept in the husk for storage. Fresh picked corn will keep 2 weeks without any prep in the cold. It needs to be kept out of plastic bags, really storing and produce in plastic is bad, as the plastic hold the moisture in.

I run tests on my stuff as it comes out of the field. I take 12 or so ears and put them in the cooler. Eat some a 7 days and then at 14 to check eatability. This is mainly so I know how particular varieties shelf life compares to others, so I can grow corn that has a long shelf life for my grocery warehouse customers.

Top Bottom