• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Spent the better part of yesterday morning helping pick sweet corn. We picked maybe 30-35 dozen ears or so. By the time we were done, I was hot, sweaty, itchy, and scratched up.

But it was all worth it when we shucked some and boiled it up for lunch right away. To me, Sweet Corn is right up there on my favorite foods list, and one of the treats of living in prime sweet corn country.

Who else loves sweet corn!!! :rockwoot:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    we grow a bunch, but yet dad and me don't like to eat it, lol. Maybe it'll grow on me eventually though. When we pick it here in a week or two we will be having family come over to help shuck, clean, and cream it with Grandma's old recipe.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    What's the difference between an epileptic corn shucker and a hooker with diarrhea?
    An epileptic corn shucker shucks between fits.:laugh:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    We've been shucking our corn then giving it a light coat of butter and salt. Then wrap in foil and put on the grill with the steaks. Tried it in the husk, but like the taste more just in foil. Life is goooood...:yesway:

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    But it was all worth it when we shucked some and boiled it up for lunch right away.

Fond childhood memory of putting water on to boil, then walking out to the field with my grandfather to pick dinner.

Just a note to add. Part of the reason this is so good is the amount of time it takes for sweet corn to deteriorate. Did you know that about one hour from being picked the sugar in sweet corn starts rapidly turning to a more complex starch? That is if it is not refrigerated or kept cool. I am not a huge corn fan but once or twice when in season I like to have it but I won't eat it unless we buy it from one of the roadside stands who pick fresh in the morning and sell right away. One gal I buy from picks early when it is just light and the corn is damp and cool from the evening and she puts it in coolers and keeps it shaded while selling.

I know y'all couldn't live another day without that bit of info! :)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Can we make this an INGO event? :D

haha you'd have to fight my family for it. :):

I think we are going to be doing this about the time my cousin and his wife and daughter will be visiting from NJ, along with my aunt and uncle from Ill., and another cousin of mine and her family will prob come up from Fishers at some time or another. When sweet corn is ready around here, me and dad are prob the only ones that aren't excited about it and don't want any. :):

Top Bottom