• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Hello all, I am looking for a back gun to carry at work and when I’m off. It will be pocket carry or vest carry (maybe sometimes appendix around the house). I currently carry a 365 in this capacity or a 340 PD. From experience I know I want to carry a revolver. From looking at different models it seems that the colt 357 snub model and the 640 Pro are the two I like the most. The actual sights of the 640 pro are what gets me most interested. Does anyone have any experience shooting both? Or general thoughts on the the 640 pro? Also does anyone have suggestions for a nice durable pocket holster? TIA

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a 640 Pro that I carry in a (otherwise empty) pocket daily at work. I use a Galco leather pocket holster, which is pretty minimalist but does a good job of protecting the trigger. It's held up well over years of daily use. I really like the Centennial Smiths in that role, as there's no hammer to snag, and no channel to get crammed with lint. The only issue I had with it was that I had to round off the top edges of the sights a bit with a file so they wouldn't snag on the holster.

51714716145_fb2ab58642_o.jpg

I find the gun to be easily carryable in a pocket, and the weight isn't really a problem unless I'm trying to carry in gym shorts or something. That's where the 340/360 really shine, but the steel 640 is much more shootable than those, especially with the dovetail sights. In BDU pants with a belt, I don't even notice it's there.

51711400596_0be603d75b_o.jpg

My carry load of choice is the Speed Gold Dot .357 Mag 135GR Short Barrel. It's a bit hotter than a .38+p, but softer than most full-house Magnum loads. I've chrono'd it at right around 1050fps. It's a very comfortable load to shoot, and makes pretty efficient use of the short barrel. Unfortunately, it's kinda hard to find in stock.

My buddy has one of the new Colt King Cobras, and I've shot it. His is a 3", and it's a very nice shooting gun. I think the trigger is a bit better than my 640, but not by much. It also holds 6 instead of 5. Were the plan to carry it on a belt, I think the Colt may have a slight edge, but for a pocket gun the trimmer 640 is what you want.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Just out of curiosity, why are you considering a 640 over your 340PD? I currently have a 360J that I really like, but have also been considering picking up a 340 to have an ultra-lightweight snagless pocket option for those times when the 640 is just a bit too heavy. I am kind of leaning towards the steel cylinder 340 M&P version despite the couple of ounces of extra weight as I've heard the titanium on the PD models can be a pain to care for...do you have any input on this?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a bit of a J-Frame addict...I want one of each!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had a 640 pro for a little bit. It was a great gun. Sold it in the classifieds here a few years ago. Those "sights" you're talking about. Don't get to excited about them. They help(ish) but it's still a very short sight radius. It also suffered from the draw backs of revolvers. Heavy for capacity and long heavy trigger pull, slow to reload. That being said I've still not found a gun that's more comfortable to carry appendix, pocket carry was easy with the right holster. I used a DeSantis nylon pocket holster. And it tamed .357 fairly well with that extra weight. I kinda wish I didn't sell it but I'm also not really a revolver guy.

SlowPlay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have one of each. 340 M&P does get more pocket time than the 640P, but I think the 640P carries better AIWB. Don't really know why. The 640P with FMC is about as fast as anything else I CAN RELOAD. I'm not crazy about .357 mags in the 640P, but it is nice to have that option. I use a STICKY pocket holster & a nice JMCK kydex AIWB.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Just out of curiosity, why are you considering a 640 over your 340PD? I currently have a 360J that I really like, but have also been considering picking up a 340 to have an ultra-lightweight snagless pocket option for those times when the 640 is just a bit too heavy. I am kind of leaning towards the steel cylinder 340 M&P version despite the couple of ounces of extra weight as I've heard the titanium on the PD models can be a pain to care for...do you have any input on this?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a bit of a J-Frame addict...I want one of each!
    I really like revolvers for the possibility of in close use but I like the sights of the 640 pro in case I have to take a longer shot. Due to policy I have to carry 357 mag in my 340 pd and it’s a little snappy for follow up shots. I have shot the regular 640 and liked the extra weight when shooting 357 rounds.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You're on the right track then. Shooting the 640 with magnums is nowhere near as punishing as the 3xx guns, and I love the sights on the 640 compared to the trench sights on the fixed-sight guns. They stand out from the stainless frame and are easy to acquire, and the fact that they're night sights instills a little more confidence in the dark. I have no problems qualifying out to 25 yards with my 640...not that I can't with my 360, but the 640 makes it easy.

I actually have a 3" model 60 that has all the things that on paper should make it a better shooter than my 640: Adjustable sights, longer sight radius, even more mass, etc. I still find myself carrying the 640 in situations where I could carry the 60 because I have more confidence in the 640's sights and its trigger is smoother and more consistent.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I have the 340 PD and the 340 M&P. Both no lock. Both are excellent pocket guns. Also have the 3" 60-4 which is good in the field. Always have loved the looks of the 640 Pro. I have a small supply of the GD short barrel 357 loads. I'm thinking the 640 Pro, those gold dots, and adding CT green laser grips would be one heck of a back up.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I picked up a Model 19 recently and got it out to the range today. This thread reminded me that it's been a bit too long since I shot the 640 so it came along too. I ran them both through the Wayne Dobbs/Daryl Bolke "Super Snubby Test" (5 rounds at 3 yards one handed in 3 seconds, 5 rounds at 5 yards in 5 seconds two-handed, and 5 rounds at 10 yards in 8 seconds two-handed). The 640 didn't give anything up to the bigger gun, and I honestly thought it was easier to shoot in DA because I grip revolvers high on the backstrap and that stupidly oversized target hammer on the 19 kept bumping the web of my hand and I found it distracting. The sights on the 640 were also a lot easier to pick up against the B8 target than the solid black target sights of the 19. I'm also a huge fan of the S&W rubber boot grips and how they fill my hand. I have a faux Tyler T-Grip coming from BK Grips for the 19, but it's not here yet and those combat grips are just too small.

After shooting this drill, I switched to shooting the 6" plate rack at 25-30 yards, and was hitting them consistently 3 or 4 out of 5 with the 640. I didn't feel too bad about that for a DAO snubby.

I put about 300 rounds total through the two guns today...no pain or fatigue whatsoever. I'm not sure I'd be saying the same had I been shooting an airweight! I do need to run the drill with my 360 sometime and see how the results compare to the 640, though.

53303997779_90e13e9701_b.jpg

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    I picked up a Model 19 recently and got it out to the range today. This thread reminded me that it's been a bit too long since I shot the 640 so it came along too. I ran them both through the Wayne Dobbs/Daryl Bolke "Super Snubby Test" (5 rounds at 3 yards one handed in 3 seconds, 5 rounds at 5 yards in 5 seconds two-handed, and 5 rounds at 10 yards in 8 seconds two-handed). The 640 didn't give anything up to the bigger gun, and I honestly thought it was easier to shoot in DA because I grip revolvers high on the backstrap and that stupidly oversized target hammer on the 19 kept bumping the web of my hand and I found it distracting. The sights on the 640 were also a lot easier to pick up against the B8 target than the solid black target sights of the 19. I'm also a huge fan of the S&W rubber boot grips and how they fill my hand. I have a faux Tyler T-Grip coming from BK Grips for the 19, but it's not here yet and those combat grips are just too small.

After shooting this drill, I switched to shooting the 6" plate rack at 25-30 yards, and was hitting them consistently 3 or 4 out of 5 with the 640. I didn't feel too bad about that for a DAO snubby.

I put about 300 rounds total through the two guns today...no pain or fatigue whatsoever. I'm not sure I'd be saying the same had I been shooting an airweight! I do need to run the drill with my 360 sometime and see how the results compare to the 640, though.

53303997779_90e13e9701_b.jpg
    That’s awesome! I love Darryl’s stuff! I need to get my hands on a 640 I think!

cmdrken1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 28, 2023
    Saint John
    The 640 for me is a little heavy for a pocket gun. I've been carrying a M&P340 no lock with hogues to get my whole hand on it for years in a sticky holster in my right cargo pocket of my Duluth flex fire hose pant and short wardrobe. I wouldn't go back to a 640 from the M&P340 personally. As far as shooting not gonna lie magnums aren't fun but this is my on body during all waking hours last ditch gun for close in self defense only. When I holster carry it's something with much more capacity.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

Don't we all........

Top Bottom