• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    On a related note, after putting up a "no soliciting" sign on the door, knocks were greatly reduced. Once I put up the obvious camera, they stopped completely. Something about having a perfect picture of their mug probably had a bit to do with it. It even stopped the "hiimaninnercityyoutsellingcandytokeepmeoffthestreets." Peddlers.

I like this guys sign but I'm thinking Mrs Glue would cause more harm to me than any intruder would.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I always put pants on before going outside. If you happen to have to chase the perp, others might be confused at your intent. (depending on how "excited" you are during the chase)

[video=youtube;IKFthgUbCdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFthgUbCdY[/video]

about 1:46

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I always answer my door, had some issues with "friends" of the previous tenant's son, even 5-6 years after they had moved. Had to get loud with them to get them to leave. Every 8-13 months it would be a different group of "friends." Only once did they try something, my wife was home with our daughter and supposedly tried to get in through a side door, luckily it was locked.

My house was broken into once, I think my wife left the doors unlocked, I'm guessing by the same group. Nothing was taken, but a closet and my breezeway were ransacked.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    I've had a couple late night knocks. I always answer the door with my weapon in my hand out sight. If I recognize the knocker, it's as easy as saying "hey hold on a sec" while I put the weapon away. If I don't, I say "why are you here?" and escalate force as needed.

Watch out for people that claim to be with a gas company casing your house. I once startled one when I was coming home from work late in the evening. After being in Baghdad suspicious people make your spidiey-sense tingle, you learn to trust your instincts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the idea of a camera at the front door, especially if it provides a real-time view of who is at the door.

For those who don't like to answer the door, perhaps an intercom would be a good compromise. You can challenge anyone who approaches without getting near the door.

I suspect that a sudden "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" from a speaker would be an effective deterrent.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like the idea of a camera at the front door, especially if it provides a real-time view of who is at the door.

For those who don't like to answer the door, perhaps an intercom would be a good compromise. You can challenge anyone who approaches without getting near the door.

I suspect that a sudden "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" from a speaker would be an effective deterrent.

I'll have to find it, but Ive heard of a doorbell cam that connects to your existing wiring, or can be run on batteries. When they ring the integrated doorbell, it calls the app on your phone so you can answer the door from anywhere and see who they are and what they want. (anywhere you have decent cell service provided you have a good data plan) Even if you are at work, they dont know it because you responded. Under $200 as I recall.

Found it: https://ring.com/

ETA: and my NVR can text me when it detects motion, and I can remote in and see any of them. Its not as fancy as the RING device, but works well.

Last edited:

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    If you would have answered your door, this whole incident probably would never of happened. Most normal people answer the door when someone knocks. Do you people really have a gun in your hand everytime someone knocks on your door? Come on, really?
    If you answered your door and the bozo said something you could not understand or said he used to live there. Then you say, you are trespassing please leave my property or I will call the Police. If he doesn't respond properly or doesn't leave, then you get your firearm and get more aggressive. Ever heard of "Common Sense" people?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    If you would have answered your door, this whole incident probably would never of happened. Most normal people answer the door when someone knocks. Do you people really have a gun in your hand everytime someone knocks on your door? Come on, really?
    If you answered your door and the bozo said something you could not understand or said he used to live there. Then you say, you are trespassing please leave my property or I will call the Police. If he doesn't respond properly or doesn't leave, then you get your firearm and get more aggressive. Ever heard of "Common Sense" people?

Why take the risk of not having your firearm with you? Usually mines already on me, if there's a knock at night it most definitely is with me unholstered and at my side. Police are only minutes away, around here that's anywhere from 15-45 minutes. Common sense dictates, keep the upper hand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....if someone is knocking we do not know them.
    Those who know us announce they are coming by phone text before or as they get here. It is expected.

2nd....if the knock is on the "Wrong" door (those who have been here know what I mean) it is again, not a known or expected person so that raises a flag.

3rd....Living in the City has it drawbacks admittedly. My area is really calmed down over the last year or so and it is nice.
    "But"....living on the main drag draws an element. We have been brought out of a deep sleep in the past with nonsense that was quelled pretty fast when answering the door in my undies (carry that pic with you :):) and a 1911 in hand.

Every one has their own ways of looking at this. Depends on where and how you live.
    We just will not let go of the upper hand. Praying it never comes into play.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why take the risk of not having your firearm with you? Usually mines already on me, if there's a knock at night it most definitely is with me unholstered and at my side. Police are only minutes away, around here that's anywhere from 15-45 minutes. Common sense dictates, keep the upper hand.

Indeed. Why would would someone remove their carry gun just to answer the door? Yeah, I'm going to remove a barrier that could buy me some time if there is a problem by opening the door and then make sure I am less capable of handling a problem by disarming first. Not.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    In my area 75% chance it is.
    My Screen doors are heavy steel security doors anchored into the frame of the house. They are dead bolted at night and the front door 24/7
    so no way in hell someone is forcing their way in.
    My neighbors garage caught fire last spring and he came to the proper door to knock. We have a system. If you know us you announce you are coming by cell. You also know which door to use. Wrong door, you do not know us.
    Sounds a bit critical maybe but we are not far off the 38th st. corridor and there is an element in the area apts. and their activity has bled out in the area at times.
    The area has quieted a lot in the last 2 years as LEO and an influx of new home owners have came in.
    We are still alert to what is going on. You knock (on the wrong door) and you will be met possibly by me in my underwear holding a 1911.

Not very trusting these days.
    Ooh, a naked bully with a gun!:nailbite:

:cool:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    yes, if you knock on my door and I don't recognize you or your vehicle, my gun IS in my hand!
    These days that IS common sense!

Top Bottom