• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'll preface this with I worked nights last night, and was just about to fall asleep when this went down.

At approximately 0940 hours, I'm in my recliner about to fall asleep, watching the republican debate that I tivod. And I hear a knock at my front door. It was a soft knock, that I thought I heard, but wasn't exactly sure. As a matter of fact my dog perked up also, but didn't bark. I gored it, as I wasn't expecting anyone. And even if I was sure someone knocked, I wouldn't have answered anyway.

About 20 seconds go by, and I hear my screen door open, with another knock, this time on my interior door. It was a knock that I was sure I heard, and the dog started growling. I ignored it and told the dog to be quiet, then a few seconds later I see the doors off of push in, like someone pushed it. It was dead bolted, the dog went crazy, barking and ran to the door, knocking things over as she went(big dog, a Great Dane).

I jump ump up and get to the door, look through the peep hole, and see a guy on the porch turn to walk away. Towards his truck that's parked on the street in front of my house. I go to my bedroom and throw on a pair of pants and grab my cell phone and 1911. Cell phone goes in my shirt pocket, gun in my hand at my side. I look out the peep hole, truck is still there, but no one is in it or near it. I head out to the front porch, and I don't see anyone.

I look at at my house from the street and my back gate is wide open. At this point my adrenaline is pumping higher then it was when the door was pushed. I walk to the edge of the hour and look doesn't the side of the house, no one is seen. I slowly walk into my yard, my 1911 still at my side, thumb on the safety. I get to the back yard and look, and there's a guy by my shed, back turned to me.

I bring the gun slightly forward, maybe a low ready, thumb still on the safety... Questioning if I should take the safety off, but the guy is around 75 feet away, so I decide to keep the safety on.

I say, voiced raised and sternly " Can I help You!" Not so much as a question but as a statement.

He turns slowly, sees gun in my hand puts his hands in the air and says "don't shoot."

i say nothing, nor do I change my posture, I just stare at the guy for any movement or explanation.

he mumbles something about his name is Chris, and he was a previous owner, and more that I don't understand.

i say "I don't know, but I was sleeping and I heard someone try to open my front door!"

he he mumbles more of the same. Then says, are we ok or something to that effect.

I nod yes. He starts walking my way. Then I say "did you try to open my door?"

He says "no, maybe you heard your dog hit the door."

i dont respond. Then I tell him I'm tired, and follow him back out of my yard and through the gate. He hands me a card with his name and business. And says "thanks for not shooting me."

i reply with "No problem, goodbye!"

he then heads to his truck, I go inside and watch him pull away.

i then decide to cut my wet grass to spend some excess adrenaline. After I tell a few people what transpired, they recommend I notify the police. Which had just started crossing my mind.

I decided to drive to the police station, instead of calling. Thinking that if I called I may have to stay awake until the police got here, and the station is literally a 4 minute drive.

I tell ell the police what happened, they agreed it was suspicious and took my information, and my half way description of the guy and his truck... But it wasn't good, being tired and running on pure adrenaline I was focused on the trespassers actions, not his looks or his vehicle.

Police said aid they would increase patrols on my street, and look out for the vehicle. Stopping and questioning people matching it. And to call them immediately if I see him again so they can question him.

One he bright side, I love the Cedar Lake PD. when I told them the story, and got to the part where "I grabbed my pants and my 1911, then went outside to confront the guy. They didn't even bat an eye.

Still got got a bit of an adrenaline rush and can't sleep. Thinking back I should've stayed at the door, and called the police. But it happened so fast, there was no thought, just action.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's what we call "sketchy". I have never heard anyone use the phrase "are we OK?" when they weren't caught in the midst of trying to screw someone over.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    That is super shadey. The guy knew you had a ginormas dog and still came in the yard is ballsy.

I cannot understand meth heads speech either. It sounds like their tounges are swollen and English is their third language.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I spoke with a former neighbor who lived next door when my house was built and she said that it didn't sound like him. But couldn't be certain.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    As tired as I was, I'm still wide awake right now. I think what creeped me out was the fact that he stopped trying to get in when he heard the dog, then later said the noise I heard when the door was pushed hard was my dog. But my dog didn't go to the door until after he tried pushing it in.

Then in the fact that I was so focused on him in the yard, if there was someone else, I was pretty certain there wasn't, they could have come up behind me and knocked me out. It was almost tunnel vision.

I was was aware of my surroundings and scanned everything pretty good, but once I saw someone where they weren't supposed o be... I became super focused on them and their movement. And feel like I zoned everything else out. Although I positioned myself at an angle so I could see the open gate and the guy at my shed, I was so focused on him, I doubt I would've noticed anything else.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good being alert. I have had similar happen as well. Snap a photo of the plate and vehicle next time before you get any farther. Unless the truck was stolen, I think that gives you a pretty good description AND positive ID on the perp. (once again, if its not stolen).

Thats the first thing I do if they arent on foot, even if they are just suspicious and havent done anything crazy like rattling the doorknobs. You can always delete the pic later if it turns out to be nothing. I have lost track of how many suspicious cars I have photographed over the years. And I have one or two I wished I had snapped in hindsight.

Glad it worked out, and hope they catch the guy.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    cameramonkey nailed it. I would have taken a picture of the truck the plate and the guy. Then you should have asked him to stay put and called 911. If he left, let him go and use the info you have on your phone.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You can't type with your adrenaline up either.

Phone video is always recommended.

I was going to mention Tunnel vision too.

You handled the entire situation entirely too calmly for me. Or lets say more nicely than I would have. I probably would have asked if he had any idea what a .45 caliber 220 grain hollow point did to human flesh, and told him that the next time I caught him on my property, he would.

So glad you came through this unscathed.

Top Bottom