• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This might not be a bad place to plug pet insurance. It may seem ridiculous when you have a puppy, but I've talked with several owners so very seriously say they wouldn't still have their pets if it weren't for the small investment.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When my parents' rottweiler was diagnosed with diabetes, the VET told them that most people immediately put their dogs to sleep after a diabetes diagnosis.

For 3.5 years, my parents bought expensive insulin, and gave it to him 1-2 times a day. Even when he went blind, they made sure he was comfortable and happy until the end.

A torn ACL is different, depending how bad it really is. Their Rotty had a torn ACL, and he healed.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    When my parents' rottweiler was diagnosed with diabetes, the VET told them that most people immediately put their dogs to sleep after a diabetes diagnosis.

For 3.5 years, my parents bought expensive insulin, and gave it to him 1-2 times a day. Even when he went blind, they made sure he was comfortable and happy until the end.

A torn ACL is different, depending how bad it really is. Their Rotty had a torn ACL, and he healed.

People put their pets down for a diabetes diagnosis?

Wow! I did not see that coming

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Don't ask me for advice on this.......

I've spent between $8 to $10 on one.

Yes, thousand.

A co-worker gave me a purebred pomeranian puppy because her daughter was not taking care of it. Within the first six months we had her, she broke the same leg twice, and both were complicated breaks that required surgery. Our free puppy became the $5000 puppy.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Never had to spend a lot of money on surgery, but I have replaced 800 square feet of carpet for laminate floor for one abandoned dog with a heart of gold and a bladder of leaks.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    This thread reminds me, I haven't given one of my dogs a parvovirus vaccine for 10 years he is 12 (84 in dog years) guess I better order a dose.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    had a basset that had a partial tear.

our vet left the decision up to us, giving the pros and cons.

her age played a big part in it as well.

we opted to not do surgery and treat with pain meds. after a couple of months we were able to ween her off the meds and never noticed a limp with her from then on, several years passed from tear to death. Cancer took her, not her torn ACL

get another opinion.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    We had a Pom mix a few years back that had a complete ACL tear. Dog was hobbling around on 3 legs (Left Rear affected). It was about $1500 to fix. Vet said the other leg would likely go bad without the surgery, so we did it and she was great. For about a year. Then the right rear let go. Got it fixed too.
    Most expensive dog I've ever owned! But she loved to run and play with our 2nd dog, it was worth it to us and we could afford it. We kept telling her (us) that it was a good thing that she was cute!!!

YMMV, good luck.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love a good vet that I can trust to not push unnecessary treatments. Often that means a country vet. Our old vet passed away. He was awesome and I was worried about replacing him. We go to AA in Walton now, and I feel that they genuinely care about the animals, too.
    I'll almost always try the less-invasive route first, on myself as well as the dogs! I've seen good results just with switching food and/or trying supplements.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    We had a 190# Mastiff that tore his ACL when he was 2 years old, we went ahead and had the surgery to correct it. We decided to have it done due to his age and size, I figured there was no way he would heal well being that large and I have to admit I am a big softy when it comes to my dogs. He lived another 4 years without any more issues with the leg but he developed bone cancer when he was 6 years old and we had to then put him down. I was there for every shot he ever got and his head was in my lap for the last one, I cried like a baby. I have no use for people who put a pet down for convenience.

Depending on the circumstance I might wait and see how the dog is doing before having the surgery, good luck with your decision and I hope your dog heals well Que.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I think that it is important that you have a trusting relationship with your vet. Otherwise your want to care for your dog is always going to leave you wondering if he just sees a $ sign on four legs. One of our dogs tore her ACL and couldn't walk on it so we gave her surgery. Her sister just got diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing surgery as I type. Our vet has treated us with nothing but respect, and knows that we will always do right by our babies.

Top Bottom