Support H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Link to the bill is here: Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

It still would not allow carry in IL or (for now) WI, and might slow efforts to pass carry legislation there as well as reverse the trend elsewhere, but that's a worst-case, "unintended consequences" scenario. As for who to contact, that would be your US Rep. At the top of this forum is a thread Who's your legislator? The link in my OP in that thread will answer your question; see "Congressional Legislators".

Of course, the better answer to "Who do I contact about this?" would be "Everyone you can." :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

What does everyone think? Will it pass this time?
    Although I understand the argument against this (e.g., states rights, constitutional carry), I think most of us will be for this. But, I'm curious about the details. I haven't read the actual bill--- does it include any "fine print" like training requirements, etc.?

Posted at: NRA-ILA :: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Friday, February 25, 2011 Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.
    H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It will pass the House easily I am sure. Then it goes to the Senate, where Little Dick Lugar will once again work with his anti-gun libtard buddies to kill the bill.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...But, I'm curious about the details. I haven't read the actual bill--- does it include any "fine print" like training requirements, etc.?...

Go read the bill. It's a short, easy read. No, it did not include anything like that, nor a list of places where one can or cannot carry, which would have been a deal-killer for me. Such lists always seem to be far, FAR more restrictive than Indiana has, and as proven with the AWB and similar, state laws tend to follow federal laws in terms of restrictions.

I wrote to Todd Rokita. I'm hopeful that I have at least one person representing me and my wishes in Washington. I'm hopeful one of them "gets it", understanding the issue of gun rights.

Dear Congressman Rokita,

There are a variety of measures before the House at this time that address an expansion of gun rights. Most notable among them in my opinion is HR 822, addressing national reciprocity. In short, this bill, if passed, would forbid any state that does not forbid concealed carry of a firearm in toto from denying that right to anyone who has gone through the process of receiving a license/permit from another state. I ask that you vote to pass HR 822 to the Senate and likewise, in the future, any bills that remove restrictions on the rights of peaceable, good citizens should also be passed. Restrictions on guns and ammo do not affect criminals; by definition they do not obey laws.

I thank you for your support of HR 822 specifically and gun rights in general, and with that I will wish you good day, sir.

(name redacted)

Blessings,
    Bill

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would expect reasonable support from most of the "shall issue" states, but I am not quite sure about the "may issues", particularly those that are extremely restrictive. We also can expect to have zero, or almost zero, support from Illinois and possibly even Wisconsin. Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, and California are others that come to mind that will show little to no support. While I am optimistic, I have a feeling that this will not go through. I hope it surprises me though!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What does everyone think? Will it pass this time?
    Although I understand the argument against this (e.g., states rights, constitutional carry), I think most of us will be for this. But, I'm curious about the details. I haven't read the actual bill--- does it include any "fine print" like training requirements, etc.?

Posted at: NRA-ILA :: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Friday, February 25, 2011 Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.
    H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

states rights have nothing to do with this. the states already agreed to everything in the U.S. constitution which includes the right to keep and BEAR arms in ALL of the United States. Im a big supporter of states rights, but this is one of those times I agree that the federal government needs to step in to enforce what the states already agreed to in the 1700's.

everyone here needs to call, write and email your congressmen!

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Support H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

I have made contact with Larry Bucshon R-8 asked him to support the bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Go read the bill. It's a short, easy read.

For a short, easy read, I still couldn't help but notice that it contains 17 instances of the word "concealed".

Yes, SEVENTEEN.

That's probably enough to cause your average, ordinary open carrier to develop a bit of a complex. :n00b:

(Not me, of course. I just found it interesting.) ;)

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I still want to keep Leviathan (feds) small, if we give them more of the states power (inch by nasty inch) it will come back to bite us. Lots of these powers we give up today seem to be for the right reason (Patriot Act) but when evil leaders get in they use them for evil to take more control tomorrow saying to keep us safe! Give me LIBERTY! Stay out of my state, let's change the state laws. Its harder and longer but the feds don't have as much teeth in our @$$!

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    National Right to Carry

Once again I dont see it happening. The Southern States for the most part have courses that you must take and pass as well as qualifying on the range. This is big business in those southern states as they require you retake the tests after your CCW permit expires. I dont think the Southern States would vote for this due in part to the requirements mentioned above.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Once again I dont see it happening. The Southern States for the most part have courses that you must take and pass as well as qualifying on the range. This is big business in those southern states as they require you retake the tests after your CCW permit expires. I dont think the Southern States would vote for this due in part to the requirements mentioned above.
    We'll see. When this was put up for vote under Nazi Pelosi... Oh, sorry, Nancy Pelosi... It failed by only a very few predetermined(?) votes. There may just be enough Americans in the House to pass it this time. In the Senate, however, it will probably fail, to say nothing of Barry Hussein signing it.

No, I don't see it happening, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to do what I can to help it along.. Who knows? Reid and the big 0 might go out on a bender some night and come back to sign a bunch of things in! :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom