• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    What can INGO tell me about them. Good or bad companies. Common issues?
    Currently my sump pump sometimes does not kick on. A little tap to the sump cover and kicks right on.
    I have not truly checked anything yet but the obvious thing is the switch malfunctioning. So need to see if upgrade or replacement. If icant fix then i need to know what a good sump pump is lol.
    Thanks,
    Dan

:ingo:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    One word HYDROMATIC. They have a 3 year warranty, and they honor it. Zoeller is also a good pump, but the warranty is only 18 months from the date of manufacture or 12 months from the date of installation. I have heard people complain about Zoeller's warranty service.

My Hydromatic has been in the pit since 2002 with no issues.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would anyone put an added load on their sump pump by segregating gray water (sinks, tubs, showers) from black water (toilets), in order to water lawns and ornamental landscaping, or would that be an unwarranted load and shorten the life of the sump pump?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm no expert, but I don't think that sump pumps are made to do that. They are designed to sit in a crock in the basement and discharge water that accumulates around the foundation.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Would anyone put an added load on their sump pump by segregating gray water (sinks, tubs, showers) from black water (toilets), in order to water lawns and ornamental landscaping, or would that be an unwarranted load and shorten the life of the sump pump?

If you wanting to use grey water for yard use, have the sump pump into a holding tank and use a pump that is intended for constant pressure in the 40-45psi range.

This little shallow well pump system below is a great pump for a small sprinkler system coupled with a holding tank.

1 Horsepower Shallow Well Pump with Stainless Steel Housing

We set this up @ my friends house for his fairly large garden.

I've though about trying it out with a 1000 gallon tank, and just using my two wells 10 year old submersible pumps, to pump in to the tank. Better than having to replace them, and it's easier to pump 750+ gallons a hour @ 15 psi than having it pump @ 45 psi.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Our house was build with the discharge from the water softener regeneration cycle, and the drain water from the furnace/AC utilizing the sump pit. When we put the sanitary sump in a few years ago, we chose to leave it as it was. I did have to route the discharge from the groundwater sump into a dry well...it was pumping too close to the house, and the rerouted surface line into the yard was killing the grass.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/HC6000-Hi-Lo-Controller-Float-Switch/dp/B006AU4L4U/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1366137581&sr=1-7&keywords=sump+pump+switch]HC6000 Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller (Dual Float Switch) - Amazon.com[/ame]

Do any of you use one of these switches? I think i would only need something like this or something similar because as i said i just nudge the sump pump it kicks right on. :dunno:

thanks,
    Dan

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    One word HYDROMATIC. They have a 3 year warranty, and they honor it. Zoeller is also a good pump, but the warranty is only 18 months from the date of manufacture or 12 months from the date of installation. I have heard people complain about Zoeller's warranty service.

My Hydromatic has been in the pit since 2002 with no issues.

My Hydo has been in since 1997 !!!! Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' :rockwoot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    HC6000 Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller (Dual Float Switch) - Amazon.com

Do any of you use one of these switches? I think i would only need something like this or something similar because as i said i just nudge the sump pump it kicks right on. :dunno:

thanks,
    Dan
    First I've heard of it. It is expensive, but if it works as advertised and never needs replacing, it would be worth it. This switch looks pretty good, as well: http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Leve...?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=product+portals

Last edited:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    What can INGO tell me about them. Good or bad companies. Common issues?
    Currently my sump pump sometimes does not kick on. A little tap to the sump cover and kicks right on.
    I have not truly checked anything yet but the obvious thing is the switch malfunctioning. So need to see if upgrade or replacement. If icant fix then i need to know what a good sump pump is lol.
    Thanks,
    Dan

:ingo:

Is the float free, or does it rub against something? Just a thought.
    Also is yours submersible, or pedestal?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Kitchen sink is not considered gray water. Just FYI...

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    If it is a pedestal pump-any good hardware store should have a replacement switch available-mine was very easy to replace-i think maybe 4 screws and three wires to unplug.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't remember what we've got in our units. But I can say that anything you will pick off the shelf from the big box stores will die 2 days after the warranty periods end. They simply do not have the durability and/or longevity.

Not to knock the recommendations above, but never take them alone without first understanding the actual demand placed on the unit. Does it kick on at every rain event? Just the heavy ones? Or only when the sewer fails and the basement drain backs up? (That's ours. Our pit doesn't fill up except from the inside of the basement; been here 5+ years and the only times it has ever kicked on has been when the basement drain backed up and water filled the basement.) It's fairly easy to keep a pump in operation 10+ years if it only has to run a half a dozen times a year.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    i have a submersible pump. Not sure company yet but i came home to 1/4 of my basement with water. the float seemed to be hitting the cords for the pump itself not allowing it to kick on. At least that is what I saw with the cover off. I heard it kick on several times last night. the style of switch that i have is one which pivots up and down off a zip tie. looked a bit muddy so need to clean also.

Top Bottom