• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So I've been coming here for awhile now and really appreciate what INGO is at it's core, a local community of some generally great folks with common interests. That said, there's one glaring issue that I think really detracts from this forum, and that's the sheer amount of completely off-topic posts that are allowed to occur. Take for example, this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nsville-sued-violating-gun-owners-rights.html

Outside of the occasional update on the situation, it's essentially the playground of a few posters who are talking about things that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread topic. If they want a "chat room" style environment, it's available in a few threads in the break room. Why allow threads in an on-topic area to be constantly overrun by off topic drivel? I'm genuinely interested in that situation, but I'm certainly not going to slough through pages of that kind of content to find the actual related information in it. It's my opinion that allowing run-on off topic discussion like that discourages people from spending time here and translates into lost unique user page views.

So my suggestion is to start enforcing that posts in a thread must relate to the thread topic in a substantive way. Start deleting posts that don't contribute to the discussion and I think you'll find that people will quickly fall in line, and the core of your readers and contributors will start enjoying a much more positive experience during their time at INGO. It's certainly not my wish that the forum be a dry humorless place, but there's a balance to be struck and right now it's weighing heavily toward what I think is the wrong side.

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate being a guest here at INGO.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yes, more rules please!!

I propose that mods lock all threads. We can submit post ideas directly to an appointed approval committee where they may approve, edit and approve, or reject the proposed post and add it to the thread at their discretion.

It is my understanding that CTS has volunteered to act as chairman of this committee.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think threads are more conversation and less encyclopedia entries. When talking to friends do you insist they stay on topic or let the conversation flow naturally?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just can't help that somehow, in some small way, that I, in my own humble fashion, helped make this topic possible.

​rhino out!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So I've been coming here for awhile now and really appreciate what INGO is at it's core, a local community of some generally great folks with common interests. That said, there's one glaring issue that I think really detracts from this forum, and that's the sheer amount of completely off-topic posts that are allowed to occur. Take for example, this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nsville-sued-violating-gun-owners-rights.html

Outside of the occasional update on the situation, it's essentially the playground of a few posters who are talking about things that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread topic. If they want a "chat room" style environment, it's available in a few threads in the break room. Why allow threads in an on-topic area to be constantly overrun by off topic drivel? I'm genuinely interested in that situation, but I'm certainly not going to slough through pages of that kind of content to find the actual related information in it. It's my opinion that allowing run-on off topic discussion like that discourages people from spending time here and translates into lost unique user page views.

So my suggestion is to start enforcing that posts in a thread must relate to the thread topic in a substantive way. Start deleting posts that don't contribute to the discussion and I think you'll find that people will quickly fall in line, and the core of your readers and contributors will start enjoying a much more positive experience during their time at INGO. It's certainly not my wish that the forum be a dry humorless place, but there's a balance to be struck and right now it's weighing heavily toward what I think is the wrong side.

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate being a guest here at INGO.

WTS like new Remington 870.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I suppose you guys are right. Reading wildly off-topic threads that prattle on for 2 years and 50 pages because 5 people keep arguing about nothing is how I and thousands of other people love to spend our days. Anyway, not my forum, just making a suggestion based off of my own observations and experiences.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yeah, I suppose you guys are right. Reading wildly off-topic threads that prattle on for 2 years and 50 pages because 5 people keep arguing about nothing is how I and thousands of other people love to spend our days. Anyway, not my forum, just making a suggestion based off of my own observations and experiences.

I do understand what you mean. But like the Evansville being sued thread there is nothing to update and the occasional bump allows other newer members who may never have heard about it to read the story.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    It is a reasonable request/suggestion/question.
    Perhaps there should be areas designated "Serious As Hell" areas (because there's nothing more serious than Hell) where these rules could be more strictly enforced.

However.
    I think a large percentage of folks come here for fun and relaxation. Do I really need to come here to find out if my Black Talon .38s are worth anything to collectors?
    The short answer is "No" (the long answer being, "Hell No" - which is, of course, much more serious than "No") - The reason is that there's this new thing called "Google" ...

So, I will respectfully advise the OP that the unofficial answer to the above post is:
    "What was the question?"
    Thank you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

We try not to police threads too strictly, but if you see something this is totally overboard, just report it and we'll take a look.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    just report it and we'll take a look.
    im_not_a_doctor_but_ill_take_a_look_mesh_hat-rbe0136c72c004824817c421878aee922_v9wfy_8byvr_324.jpg

586098_1290757719453_full.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think threads are more conversation and less encyclopedia entries. When talking to friends do you insist they stay on topic or let the conversation flow naturally?

This. The other way some threads drone on is when 2 or 3 posters post up post after post refuting what another said 40 posts ago, standing up strawmen, or squinting at gnats.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Anyway, not my forum, just making a suggestion based off of my own observations and experiences.

We try not to police threads too strictly, but if you see something this is totally overboard, just report it and we'll take a look.

Just had to go and get the mods involved didn't ya !

BTW , I'll take the 870 . I'll trade you a home stippled , silver spray painted , two toned high point OR I'll give you .67 , a year's worth of dryer lint AND a half drank , half pint of honey Jack .

Oh and can you deliver it to my door , please and thank you .

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Well I'm on INGO probation for some aHoles commenting on a classified I posted dogging it, I commented back and I got busted for bumping twice in 24 hours when I wasn't bumping it!!!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well I'm on INGO probation for some aHoles commenting on a classified I posted dogging it, I commented back and I got busted for bumping twice in 24 hours when I wasn't bumping it!!!

That sucks, but ANY post less than 24hrs after the most recent post is a bump.

Fenway said:
    3. After your ad has been up for 24 hours you may bump it once in a 24-hour period. This means that no less than 24 hours after the last post in the thread, you may add a "bump" to allow your post to come back to the top to be noticed. DO NOT try to get around this by posting "replied to all PMs" or something similar. If a potential buyer asks a question, you may ONLY answer it in your original post or as your 24 hour bump. Remember you may only bump it 24 hours after the last post. If your item is SPF(sold pending funds) you must edit your first/original post to state that but do NOT bump your ad.

I recommend berating them via PM and then immediately adding them to your ignore list so they can't even reply to your PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom