• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Never ceases to amaze me the number of people that have hundreds of thousands of dollars "disposable income" to go on jaunts like this. What next, tours of the ruins in Ukraine? I pray the people are ok but it's starting to look pretty bleak.
    People with that kind of disposable incomes often get bored with the mundane things us poors can afford to do to get a thrill. Skydiving, base jumping, etc. They did all that s**t before the made real $$$. Now they have to up the danger level to even move their needle. :coffee:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Wasn't the story, that he was separated from his superiors, and that caused him to have problems?
    Cause, that's kinda BS. SEALS operate away from their superiors on a regular basis.
    Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong movie.
    Lt. Coffey (Navy Seal Leader) went crazy due to some sort of pressure induced psychosis that affects 1-20 people that go to the rig. Still is probably movie BS, but you know more about that stuff than I do. God willing I would never be anywhere near that far below the water.

I thought the scenes where the female protagonist purposely drowns herself, or when Ed Harrison breathes that liquid oxygen stuff was harder to watch than the bad guy imploding in a sub.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    People with that kind of disposable incomes often get bored with the mundane things us poors can afford to do to get a thrill. Skydiving, base jumping, etc. They did all that s**t before the made real $$$. Now they have to up the danger level to even move their needle. :coffee:
    I sure could think of a lot of others things to be be doing if had that kind of disposable income.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Back in the cold war I believe we had a lot of the Atlantic well monitored. I would think that if it imploded that would be on a hydrophone somewhere. Act is more knowledgeable on this so I'll be interested in his assessment.
    Simmer down. Dont go giving him a big head. :):

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Another USCG press conference. Nothing really new. A pipe laying ship is on site with ROVs but they can't dive deep enough to inspect the bottom. They're diving to search anyway. Sonobuoy use confirmed. Air search continuing.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    This actually exists and is being used in medicine. It is a perfluorocarbon liquid that is breathable and where drugs in solution can be directly administered to the lungs. It requires mechanical breathing assistance though.

Neet stuff.

Man, I can't be standing when I watch that scene or read that article. My knees just want to buckle. What's the phobia for for breathing liquid oxygen?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That would be a horrific way to go. Of all the ways I wouldn't want to die, drowning (or being crushed by the water pressure) and burning are at the top of my list.
    At those depths a catastrophic failure of the hull would be over before you knew it

They had 96 hrs of air according to the operator. Worse than drowning would be a systems failure that wouldn't let you surface and having 94 hours to think about that

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    One story I heard stated the multiple ballast release methods on the sub included a passive one where 16 hours in sea water would "erode" the clamps, drooping the weight.

So I suspect a debris field may be found someday.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    One story I heard stated the multiple ballast release methods on the sub included a passive one where 16 hours in sea water would "erode" the clamps, drooping the weight.

So I suspect a debris field may be found someday.
    One ballast method is hung on the sides of the vessel and will roll off if everyone inside moves to one side and tilts it. Seriously.

Seems very unlikely they're just sitting on the bottom with no comms.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Back in the cold war I believe we had a lot of the Atlantic well monitored. I would think that if it imploded that would be on a hydrophone somewhere. Act is more knowledgeable on this so I'll be interested in his assessment.
    My knowledge is a bit outdated.

And it's not like they're gonna notify some "has been" or "useta mattter"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom