• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    He mentions sonobuoys. They're not side-scan sonar, they can't map the ocean floor, but they are very good hydrophones and I wonder if they've dropped a few just to listen for mechanical transients. Like, the clanking and clunking of lead ballast pipes being dislodged by a mechanical backup system? 4,000 yards is considered very close range for nuclear submarine hydrophones, and 4,000 yards down is the same density of water as 4,000 yards away.

I wonder if there is enough of the SOSUS system left in the North Atlantic to have possibly picked up an implosion. Yeah, it's not a nuclear submarine hitting crush depth, but it would have been a decent boom. They have a timestamp for loss of communication, I wonder if the Coast Guard has put in a call to check the logs for an event.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Remember this scene from The Abyss? First thing I thought of when I heard about the missing submersible. At least the end would be painless (not counting any warning the occupants might get). Hopefully they surface or are recovered alive and well but it doesn’t look promising. If found intact on the ocean floor is any form of recovery even possible?

Not easy to watch, even if it’s Hollywood-fake (as I’m sure we’ll find out… @actaeon277 please pick up the red courtesy phone…)

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember this scene from The Abyss? First thing I thought of when I heard about the missing submersible. At least the end would be painless (not counting any warning the occupants might get). Hopefully they surface or are recovered alive and well but it doesn’t look promising. If found intact on the ocean floor is any form of recovery even possible?

Not easy to watch, even if it’s Hollywood-fake (as I’m sure we’ll find out… @actaeon277 please pick up the red courtesy phone…

No.
    There would have been no warning of a cracking plastic lens.
    There would have been no caress of a gentle trickle spray of water.

As soon as that crack happened, the water would have come through that spot.
    All of the water.
    In an instant.

When the Thresher sank, it was determined from Navy hydrophone networks that the entire submarine (much larger than this one) was entirely filled with water in tenths of a second.
    And it wasn't even close to this depth.
    It burst in through whatever weak point there was, so that the entire sub did not implode.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Eh, easy to watch because he was a real **** in the film.
    I haven't watched that movie in awhile.

Wasn't the story, that he was separated from his superiors, and that caused him to have problems?
    Cause, that's kinda BS. SEALS operate away from their superiors on a regular basis.
    Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong movie.

Also, the flooding of the sub, in the beginning, was realistic if the sub was relatively shallow.

I was told, there's 2 kinds of leaks on a sub.
    The first kind, you find.
    The second kind, finds you.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Since my firefox browser seems to be rebooting every time I try to copy/paste, do a search for SOSUS
    Good stuff:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No.
    There would have been no warning of a cracking plastic lens.
    There would have been no caress of a gentle trickle spray of water.

As soon as that crack happened, the water would have come through that spot.
    All of the water.
    In an instant.

When the Thresher sank, it was determined from Navy hydrophone networks that the entire submarine (much larger than this one) was entirely filled with water in tenths of a second.
    And it wasn't even close to this depth.
    It burst in through whatever weak point there was, so that the entire sub did not implode.
    Supposedly it had a structural monitoring system. And there were possible problems with the hull several weeks ago...

If the hull failed it would have burst like an egg. Just a little debris field of parts and two titanium hemispheres.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the cold war I believe we had a lot of the Atlantic well monitored. I would think that if it imploded that would be on a hydrophone somewhere. Act is more knowledgeable on this so I'll be interested in his assessment.

Top Bottom