• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You have my deepest sympathy I know what it feels like. I first saw this posted here a few years ago by iirc BoR.
    the-rainbow-bridge-poem.jpg

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    RIP Chewy

I feel your pain. Two weeks before Christmas 2014 our little Whippet, Goldie, passed away at 17. She was 23 lbs of lightning speed, with a perfect temperament for a family pet. This is her the night before she passed;

24x0w39.jpg

We swore we'd wait at least 6 months before even considering another dog, but two days after Christmas, we rescued a 1 year old Boxer-Pit mix named Jilly. She's a 70 lb monster that's unbelievably strong, smart and sweet. She loves to ride in the truck with me and she will chew the crap out of any piece of firewood she can get her huge jaw on (but in the house, she's never had an accident and doesn't chew anything she's not supposed to). She much prefers though to lay on the couch, watching TV and snoring like an old man. But if the doorbell rings, she's a guided, barking missile, aiming for the front door to protect us.

2hpr8lx.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    RIP Chewy

I feel your pain. Two weeks before Christmas 2014 our little Whippet, Goldie, passed away at 17. She was 23 lbs of lightning speed, with a perfect temperament for a family pet. This is her the night before she passed;

24x0w39.jpg

We swore we'd wait at least 6 months before even considering another dog, but two days after Christmas, we rescued a 1 year old Boxer-Pit mix named Jilly. She's a 70 lb monster that's unbelievably strong, smart and sweet. She loves to ride in the truck with me and she will chew the crap out of any piece of firewood she can get her huge jaw on (but in the house, she's never had an accident and doesn't chew anything she's not supposed to). She much prefers though to lay on the couch, watching TV and snoring like an old man. But if the doorbell rings, she's a guided, barking missile, aiming for the front door to protect us.

2hpr8lx.jpg

You just perfectly described my dog! The ONLY time she barks is when someone rings that bell and she goes crazy!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'm so very sorry to hear this SD1. Chewy couldn't have wanted for more loving parents then you and Mrs. Skulldaddy. Chewy knew he was loved totally, and for more then that he would never ask.

You and Mrs. Skulldaddy are in my prayers brother. :(

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    12 years ago my wife thought it would be a great idea to get one of those rescue dogs. At first I was on board. I mean I can see myself with a majestic shepherd or a loyal lab. But when she came home with this 12 pound lil chihuahua, well I was out. I told her that it was "her" dog. After all, you can't expect a manly man to walk around holding a purse that poops! I mean yeah it would sit on my lap every so often. And of course I would feed it bits of my ham sammiches. That didn't mean I liked it. And so what if I sometime took the lil SOB to PetSmart to buy it a toy or two. That doesn't mean anything. I spent the last 12 years telling myself that Chewy was her dog. That it was just in my way, that's why I would hold him, cause he was always under my feet. When he started getting old sure I bought him a doggy carriage to push him around in. Doesn't mean a damn thing. Until tonight. When we found him snuggled under his favorite blanket, not moving. Not breathing. Not being that lil pain in my ass. Everything changed. Somehow I lost my dog, somehow I lost my buddy. My wife is devastated. I drove all night to our Michigan house to bury Chewy in the back yard. I'm not sure how it happens. How this stupid little dog that I really didn't want, how it ended up snuggled in my heart. I don't cry much, but tonight I had a good one. That stupid little dog is going to be missed. RIP Chewy.

SD that is a very nice post for your little buddy!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    That sucks, man. On paper, getting attached to a pet seems like a raw deal, loving something you know is gong to die on you. But the joy a pet brings, and the love it shows, makes the heartache worth it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :( sucks!

I know where you are at. The last couple of months has been rough.
    My "Chewy" our handicapped dog, died ON CHRISTMAS.
    Everything was fine on Christmas eve. We were cooking a few items late for Christmas dinner.
    All the dogs were in the kitchen and waiting for some morsel to hit the floor.
    I was making a batch of deviled eggs and giving each some HB egg pieces, tales wagging, yapping the whole nine yards.
    Daughter took Chewy to bed around 1, we hit the sack and when my other daughter came over in the morning, the stuff hit the fan.
    I was awoken to "He's Dead!!!" crying and carrying on. Really freaks a person out coming from a dead sleep.
    He's buried out back by a large tree. Did that Christmas morning.......

Lola just died last month....
    Chihuahuas gravitate toward one person in a household usually that they bond with.
    Cleo is mine, Dory is my daughters, Lola was my other daughters, Tink is my sons, Chewy was my wifes.

Lola was older than Chewy when he died so we were worried about her of course.
    My daughters birthday was coming up so she wanted to get pictures with her dog just in case.
    She made an appointment for Friday as her birthday was on a Saturday.....

Lola started acting weird Wednesday night. Before that acting completely normal.... running around, eating, no problems shown.
    We took her to the vet on Thursday AM. I went to work, daughter stayed at the vet while they were doing tests.
    Elevated levels, maybe cancer, enlarged heart, etc. Sent her home with meds..... she called about an hour later saying
    Lola was stumbling and wouldn't walk. Flew back across town to the vets and Lola died in her car on the way.
    She wanted her cremated ...... Happy birthday. :(

Sucks to even type this out.

Lola is the big blond on the right side, Chewy is just to her right (laying down, because... handicapped)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    " It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all of the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." - Anonymous

We fall in love with them knowing we will likely outlive them. I am sorry for your loss, I know it all too well

Lou

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You have my deepest sympathy I know what it feels like. I first saw this posted here a few years ago by iirc BoR.
    the-rainbow-bridge-poem.jpg

If you hadn't posted it, I was going to, TimJoe.

Even stupid little dogs wait at the bridge.

SD45, while I am saddened by your loss, know that you and Chewy will be together again: If you get somewhere and there are no dogs, it ain't Heaven.

Blessings,
    Bill

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Sorry for the loss. Thanks for writing and sharing what many of us have all felt. I hope it helps you with the sorrow of the loss. Pets, espc. dogs can tug at the heart strings. INGO is a solid community that understands and feels for you.

Top Bottom