• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    My wife and I were recently discussing self-defense options for her and she raised a question that I didn't have an answer to. I figured INGO would be the best place to find out. This has probably been asked about at some point, but I am not the best at searching the forums here.

Is there a license requirement to carry a stungun or pepper spray and, if so, do you have to get it used on you to get the license.

She believes that there is, but I don't think so. Thanks for your help INGO!

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    You might for a taser, since it does fire a projectile, but I was talking about stunguns that come in contact with the person instead of fire a projectile at them.

Good point though.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I stand corrected...I do believe you need your LTCH for a taser...sorry.

IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.

IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.

IC 35-47-8-5
    Stun guns; purchase, possession, and sale; use in commission of crime; use on law enforcement officer
    Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun.
    (b) A person who sells or furnishes a stun gun to a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who uses a stun gun in the commission of a crime commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) A person who uses a stun gun on a law enforcement officer while the officer is performing the officer's duties commits a Class D felony.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Now that you've had your question answered, let me say that "stunguns" that are not Tasers are pretty much useless for self-defense.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    Now that you've had your question answered, let me say that "stunguns" that are not Tasers are pretty much useless for self-defense.

Since she isn't willing to carry a handgun, but wants to feel more secure at work, I've had to consider other options. Been leaning towards pepper spray since it at least has some range.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    While they may not do much damage, I can tell you that the electric "SNAP" of even a weak "stun-type" device can be quite the deterrent. It is loud, and very bright. I would imagine that if someone was coming at you, and you pulled that out, got into a defensive stance, and "snapped" it once or twice, they would leave you alone.

As for how effective it is, I cannot comment. I only know that it scares the **** out of my fiancee everytime I casually turn it on at home, and that it scared the **** out of me one day when she triggered it behind me.

And you can get them for like $20 on Amazon; not ideal for self defense, but it would be better than nothing. And it gives you that visual "show of force" that you wouldn't get with pepper spray.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I would recommend that if she does decide to carry pepper spray that she does more than throw it in her purse. Watch some videos, learn how to properly use pepper spray. Know what the particular brand of pepper spay you decide to get is capable of achieving. Also know how it sprays. Not all pepper sprays spray the same. A little training with it can mean the difference in using it effectively or accidently spraying yourself.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I would recommend that if she does decide to carry pepper spray that she does more than throw it in her purse. Watch some videos, learn how to properly use pepper spray. Know what the particular brand of pepper spay you decide to get is capable of achieving. Also know how it sprays. Not all pepper sprays spray the same. A little training with it can mean the difference in using it effectively or accidently spraying yourself.

This exactly. I have been sprayed before, and like most others that have as well, I will avoid having anything to do with it ever again. I have timed my wife trying to get to her spray from her purse before and the results were not good. By the time you know that you need it, its too late. Unless it is in an uncovered exterior pouch, she will have to dig for it wasting precious time. Is it better than nothing? Yes.

Top Bottom