• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I went to the Hillside range yesterday to try out my new Seekins 223/556 lower that I built and a Bushnell TRS32. The red dot is amazing and I really like using it. Was hitting the steel out 200 yards and it only took a few rounds to get everything zeroed in. The Seekins lower was not so good. After building the lower using CMMG parts I inserted a mag and it fit perfectly. Sweet. It was different on the range, though. I slammed the first mag and it wouldn't insert all the way and jammed before seating all the way. It wouldn't budge trying to remove it and it took three guys holding and pulling to dislodge it. A couple of young fellows helped me get it out by disassembling the AR. What I discovered was that Seekins doesn't like ProMags at all! I have 3 Promag mags and none of them will insert properly. I know I used the Promags in the original CMMG lower last year without issue. Good ole' Pmags worked. Shot about 300 rounds and the only issue I had was the first round of each mag wouldn't chamber by hitting the bolt release button. It would start to go in but would stop short of seating even the tip of the brass. I had to pull the charging handle and let it load. Is my buffer recoil spring too light? Maybe I'll just load 29 rounds instead of 30. I did fire about 15 rounds that I reloaded for the first time. Now, that was scary but they all worked.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    My dad bought a Promag and a Thermold from Rural King back when quality mags were hard to come by 2 years ago. We ended up using them as targets.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    My dad bought a Promag and a Thermold from Rural King back when quality mags were hard to come by 2 years ago. We ended up using them as targets.

Well.....I suppose that is one way to get your moneys worth out of them. I have a bunch of the Thermolds and haven't had very many problems with them. As far as the Promags are concerned..... I wouldn't bother taking them out of the package before using them as targets.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Your problem isn't the lower its the mags. Stick with Pmags, Lancer, or one of the other reputable companies if you want plastic. Get GI if you want metal.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Definitely buy quality mags, I typically only run PMAGS after having numerous issues with the thermold mags.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have had issues with ProMags on two different weapons, neither would go into battery and engage the mag release. Can't imagine why they are still in business...

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll echo everyone else with the mag issue. I shot the carbine match this weekend with my uncle. He was using some cheaper mags as well and had a lot of trouble during mag changes because they wouldn't drop free. With both D&H and pmags available now under $10/ea, why not invest in good mags from the start?

10 pack Pmags
    https://dsgarms.com/dsgholiday

10 pack BCM (D&H Industries)
    AR15 Magazines

I prefer Lancer L5AWM, but you do pay a tad bit more for them.
    Lancer Systems L5 AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round Polymer Translucent Smoke

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'll echo everyone else with the mag issue. I shot the carbine match this weekend with my uncle. He was using some cheaper mags as well and had a lot of trouble during mag changes because they wouldn't drop free. With both D&H and pmags available now under $10/ea, why not invest in good mags from the start?

10 pack Pmags
    https://dsgarms.com/dsgholiday

10 pack BCM (D&H Industries)
    AR15 Magazines

I prefer Lancer L5AWM, but you do pay a tad bit more for them.
    Lancer Systems L5 AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round Polymer Translucent Smoke

Suarez has them cheaper than anyone else I've found. They also offer a quantity discount:

LANCER WARFIGHTER MAGAZINES - BLACK

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    And I'll just echo what everyone else has already said on here: Thermold and ProMag are trash. Quality magazines are cheap enough as it is, it's not worth saving a penny and buying junk ones.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went to the Hillside range yesterday to try out my new Seekins 223/556 lower that I built and a Bushnell TRS32. The red dot is amazing and I really like using it. Was hitting the steel out 200 yards and it only took a few rounds to get everything zeroed in. The Seekins lower was not so good. After building the lower using CMMG parts I inserted a mag and it fit perfectly. Sweet. It was different on the range, though. I slammed the first mag and it wouldn't insert all the way and jammed before seating all the way. It wouldn't budge trying to remove it and it took three guys holding and pulling to dislodge it. A couple of young fellows helped me get it out by disassembling the AR. What I discovered was that Seekins doesn't like ProMags at all! I have 3 Promag mags and none of them will insert properly. I know I used the Promags in the original CMMG lower last year without issue. Good ole' Pmags worked. Shot about 300 rounds and the only issue I had was the first round of each mag wouldn't chamber by hitting the bolt release button. It would start to go in but would stop short of seating even the tip of the brass. I had to pull the charging handle and let it load. Is my buffer recoil spring too light? Maybe I'll just load 29 rounds instead of 30. I did fire about 15 rounds that I reloaded for the first time. Now, that was scary but they all worked.

To address your second question, how many rounds are on your buffer spring? I don't know that I've had one wear out. Who built the upper? If you slowly close the bolt without a magazine in, do you feel any drag?

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Kinda like putting a Kimber in an Uncle Mike's holster???

Top Bottom