• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Ok...with the introduction of Stephen Strasburg to MLB..they are already hailing him the best pitcher in MLB...with a 100mph fast ball and a curve that looks un-hittable....only time will tell......but it made me think..who is the best pitcher of all time..because there are so many...pick your top 3... 1.Maddux 2.Ryan 3.Seaver

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It's way too early to say that Strasburg is the best in the MLB. Heck, tonight is his Nats debut! I think Ubaldo Jimenez is the best in the league THIS SEASON. Maybe at the end of it I will say it's Strasburg, but not yet.

Best pitcher of all time, in no particular order:

Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, and Roger Clemens.

Cy Young would be just outside that list. The award is named after him, but he also lost a lot of games. Heck, he just pitched A LOT of games.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    It's way too early to say that Strasburg is the best in the MLB. Heck, tonight is his Nats debut! I think Ubaldo Jimenez is the best in the league THIS SEASON. Maybe at the end of it I will say it's Strasburg, but not yet.

Best pitcher of all time, in no particular order:

Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, and Roger Clemens.

Cy Young would be just outside that list. The award is named after him, but he also lost a lot of games. Heck, he just pitched A LOT of games.

i had Clemens down,,then took him off because of the steroids....do you think it should play into your decision?....

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    i had Clemens down,,then took him off because of the steroids....do you think it should play into your decision?....

I think that Clemens has always been a top pitcher, even before admitting he took steroids in recent years. He was winning Cy Youngs and MVPs back in the late 80's and early 90's. Also, and this may be naive, I think there is a lot more to pitching than strength. I don't think the steroids would have had as much of an influence on a pitcher. I would agree that the steroid use is an important consideration when talking about "the best of all time." I would still put him near the top though, but I could see why you'd leave him out.

I feel the same way about Barry Bonds. He was always a Hall of Fame caliber player prior to blowing up in 1999-2000. I would love to see his home run records with an asterisk though because a lot of his home runs were hit after that period when it's apparent he was on steroids. If you look at his numbers after 2000, it's mind blowing. I compared his home run numbers to other players of his age throughout league history and the only conclusion I could come to was steroid use. Look at pictures of him from 1998 to 2000 also. It's also coincidental that Mark and Sammy had that highly publicized homerun race in 1998, most likely fueled by steroids. I think Barry wanted in on that...

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    I think that Clemens has always been a top pitcher, even before admitting he took steroids in recent years. He was winning Cy Youngs and MVPs back in the late 80's and early 90's. Also, and this may be naive, I think there is a lot more to pitching than strength. I don't think the steroids would have had as much of an influence on a pitcher. I would agree that the steroid use is an important consideration when talking about "the best of all time." I would still put him near the top though, but I could see why you'd leave him out.

I feel the same way about Barry Bonds. He was always a Hall of Fame caliber player prior to blowing up in 1999-2000. I would love to see his home run records with an asterisk though because a lot of his home runs were hit after that period when it's apparent he was on steroids. If you look at his numbers after 2000, it's mind blowing. I compared his home run numbers to other players of his age throughout league history and the only conclusion I could come to was steroid use. Look at pictures of him from 1998 to 2000 also. It's also coincidental that Mark and Sammy had that highly publicized homerun race in 1998, most likely fueled by steroids. I think Barry wanted in on that...

agree...rumor has it that Berry told Griffy Jr in '97 that he was upset about hitting 47 hr's and didn't get his due because the steroid brothers was hitting 50 and 60....1yr after Berry's hat size went up by 3..but you are right,,Berry was the best slugger in baseball for yrs before the steroids...ashame he folded under the pressure....Clemens went down the same path...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Steroids most definitely plays a HUGE factor when determining a list.

I like your list, with Ryan at #1 and Maddux at #2.

Being a die hard Braves fan, Maddux is my favorite pitcher of all time, but Ryan was better IMO.

Maddux did so much with so little though.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010

Being a die hard Braves fan, Maddux is my favorite pitcher of all time, but Ryan was better IMO.

yup..Maddux is like the Larry Bird of baseball...not alot of god given talent,,just alot of practice..plus what a class act both Maddux and Ryan was.....i remember watching Ryan throw a 97 mph fast ball...then follow it up with a 47 mph knuckle ball...Maddux was the master at pin point pitching...he would hit the outer edge of the plate like no one else,,but i could've picked either one as top dog..

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    yup..Maddux is like the Larry Bird of baseball...not alot of god given talent,,just alot of practice..plus what a class act both Maddux and Ryan was.....i remember watching Ryan throw a 97 mph fast ball...then follow it up with a 47 mph knuckle ball...Maddux was the master at pin point pitching...he would hit the outer edge of the plate like no one else,,but i could've picked either one as top dog..

LOL, could you even imagine trying to get a hit off of that :poop:?

MWebb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    1. Ryan 2. Randy Johnson 3.Maddux

First time I seen johnsons name on here, had several no hitters and the one perfect game.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

I owe you rep for being a braves fan after i spread it around.

Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson no particular order

ETA: Its a little early to say he may be the best.....They were playing the pirates

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    don't mean to thread jack and continue to talk about strasburg instead of my top 3 pitchers, but 14 K's in his MLB debut is pretty impressive. even if it was against the pirates.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    it is early to crown Strasburg...but then peloe is right...14 k's....is impressive..i did have Johnson as a top 5...just wish he wasn't such a douche....

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I also am a Braves fan and would have to put Maddux as #1, with Clemens a close #2, and my #3 pick would be Sandy Koufax. I will give Strasburg the credit that as of now he amy be one of the best in the leaugue, but I dont think he will last. I meen he is young, and I think they will use him up, and he will end up throwing out his arm. But I do look forward to watching his progress, and wish him the best. (I wish him the best not the Nationals)

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    the test for Strasburg will be after all the ML sluggers get to see him a few games....once they get to face him and observe his release and movements...they'll get a better idea on how to hit off him...lets wait till sept...then we'll rate him agian.....

Top Bottom