• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Over the last 60 days on the range I have seen some strange things. Man trying to sight in rifle with scope tied on with oily rag. Scope mounted backwards. Man sighting in rifle with no sights or optics. scope mounted sideways. 45ACP rounds in ears for hearing protection. Cigarette butts in ears for same reason. Ladies with loaded pistols, finger on trigger doing war dance when hot casings land in low cut blouse. man teaching daughters to shoot upset because he had to work bolt each time to shoot.(thought it should fire like a semi-auto). Adjusting scope without taking caps off. Many people not knowing how to load or make a firearm safe.

Above are just a few examples of why RSOs are required on most public ranges.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    scared-to-death.png

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Over the last 60 days on the range I have seen some strange things. Man trying to sight in rifle with scope tied on with oily rag. Scope mounted backwards. Man sighting in rifle with no sights or optics. scope mounted sideways. 45ACP rounds in ears for hearing protection. Cigarette butts in ears for same reason. Ladies with loaded pistols, finger on trigger doing war dance when hot casings land in low cut blouse. man teaching daughters to shoot upset because he had to work bolt each time to shoot.(thought it should fire like a semi-auto). Adjusting scope without taking caps off. Many people not knowing how to load or make a firearm safe.
    And you still hang out there?
    scope mounted sideways.
    Oh man...pics of that one next time, please!:D

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    scope mount

How... exactly... do you mount a scope sideways? :n00b:

Thank you buzz815. I feel like a real pro after reading your OP. :D
    Sorry for the confusion. I mean to say that they had it mounted so that windage was elevation and elevation was adjusted as windage. Also wanted to say that 99% of the shooters are very friendly and ask questions if they need to know something. Just a few nuts.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

Above are just a few examples of why RSOs are required on most public ranges.

:lmfao:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I try to avoid public ranges for those reasons. Whenever I do go to one, it is an eye-opener to what is really out there.
    Sadly, these people are often what the general public sees and therefore form the opinion they are representative of all of us.
    As my best friend has said: "Sometimes we are our own worst enemy".

So when I start to walk away telling myself they are beyond hope and I should save myself, I have to remember that it does none of us any good to just let it go. And it may cause harm. I will try to help them (once) even though I know some people can't be helped. The result may be anything from gratitude to an attitude, but I'll regret it more later if I didn't try.

Probably the nuttiest thing I've seen was the lady at Atterbury (the old public range) who was scrounging brass ahead of the line.........while the rest of us were shooting.

And I have to confess-
    I have mounted scopes sideways, putting the windage adj at 12:00 and making it the elevation adj, and the elevation becoming the windage at 9:00. I did it because I had to in order to make the scope work with that rifle.
    In at least two cases I can think of, the stock was cut so the scope had to be mounted extremely low for my eye to line up with it...so low that the windage adjustment interfered with ejection of a fat cartridge (the first time I did it was on a 375 H&H). Turning the scope a quarter turn left cleared the ejection path.

I just remembered doing it for a different reason: When I was doing a fair amount of bench shooting several years ago, I would mount a target scope that way. It was easier to use the quick-adjust knobs and see their movement when sitting at the bench with them oriented like that.

But I'm sure that's not what you meant. I'm guessing the people seen with scopes that way couldn't give a reason for it.
    I wonder if any of these Einsteins mounted a scope with some form of BDC reticle that way? It's for leading game running from left to right, don'tcha know.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ah, you haven't lived until you notice someone shooting. At you.

Back in 1996 or so, a buddy of mine and I had finished shooting our pistolas at a now-defunct club near Veedersburg. We were collecting brass near the backstop and when we started, we were the only people on the premises. Then we started hearing "booms" followed by a slapping noise in the backstop right beside us. The first moments were, "What the hell is that?" followed by, "Is that someone shooting at us? That can't be someone shooting at us. No one could be that stupid."

Then we realized someone was in fact shooting at us.

My minivan was parked a couple of feet away, so we scrambled behind it and commenced to panicking. Then we heard a voice yelling between shots, "It's okay, you can keep doing what you're doing. You aren't bothering me." I'm paraphrasing, but that's really the gist of what the guy shouted at us. He wanted to let us know we were not inconveniencing him.

After he stopped, we carefully drove uprange to the 50 yard line where a guy was under the overhead shelter at a bench fiddling with a rifle. It was an old Springfield trapdoor convervsion to .45-70 with (and I'm not joking) an allen wrench for a front sight, attached to the end of the barrel with a hose clamp.

We didn't get that close to him, but he offered that he was "sighting-in."

Yes. A guy saw two people near the backstop, and then thought it was a-okay to try to zero a rifle with an allen wrench for a front sight while we were still there.

And it gets better . . . when we reported him, we found out he was "known" and was a convicted felon. I don't know what happened to him, but we never saw or heard from him again.

I am significantly more concerned with personal security when at the range now. I will wait in my vehicle if there are people shooting that I don't know until they leave, or I leave and come back later.

Top Bottom