• Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Plus some of the out of state vendors charge Indiana tax on your purchase. Do they turn in the tax. I doubt it.
    The Indiana department of revenue actually goes to shows, including the 1500, and checks the vendors to be sure they are collecting Indiana sales tax (at least they used to back when I set up there). If they aren't collecting tax, they are happy to help you fill out the proper paperwork.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Colt 556: Of course! We start out at Just Judy's (71st and Binford) for breakfast. The only one I try to miss is the August one. At my age, all the vendors and some of the customers look familiar, some are even friends. I do look for that one item that is a good deal. I think that is the fun of it. If I don't find a gun I like, I will walk out of there with everything from Army cots to MREs to scopes, but at least at almost 72, I still respect the vendors and always ask permission to handle their guns. Just an interesting tidbit: Many years ago, I had a vendor tell me that they do NOT bring the good stuff (safe queens) to the gun shows. Too many people handling and dry firing, I guess. I decided to try out what I was told. I mentioned to a few vendors what gun I was really looking for and most had it, at home, in their safes. They were willing to deal, gave me their cards, and even told me if I was really interested, where they were located and what shows they could meet me at. So for all the nimrods who say they couldn't find anything and came home empty handed, try asking!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As @LEaSH said, I think he's been here before under a different userid. If it's not him, then he's got an identical twin (from FL no less).
    The way I remember it was that the guy moved from Indiana to Florida and let everyone here know how awesome he was and how broke we all are… something silly like that.

Apparently Florida threw him out/back up here for some reason.:noway:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did buy a beautiful DW 15-2 (I think) with 2 barrels at a Stout Field show last year. It is in great condition so much so that I can’t tell if it has been reblued or not.

I think it’s probably from mid1980’s or before. Monson Mass was the factory. I have not really been able to find much information online, but I suppose I should hunt for it when I get the chance.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I did buy a beautiful DW 15-2 (I think) with 2 barrels at a Stout Field show last year. It is in great condition so much so that I can’t tell if it has been reblued or not.

I think it’s probably from mid1980’s or before. Monson Mass was the factory. I have not really been able to find much information online, but I suppose I should hunt for it when I get the chance.
    Try here. These guys have it down to a science.
    I'm another DW revolver guy.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've not experienced the fumes at this show. But I do need a couple holsters and sheaths cobbled up.

Will definitely try to make it next time.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    There have been several different promotors at that venue over the last 40 years. The one doing it now is the same promotor that was doing it up until 2001, when the military cancelled all the shows after 9/11 for awhile. There was at least one other promotor during the post-9/11 era for a few years.

The type of customers have definitely changed over the last few decades. You are correct that you don't see many of the older customers anymore. There are a lot of younger customers, and many of them will spend money on military surplus firearms and ammunition, but have no interest at all in non-military firearms (a product of the video game era). They typically bring LOTS of money to this show. They spend plenty if you have what they are looking for. Your experience may vary, but Stout Field is the second best show we set up at (second only to Crown Point). We have several regular customers at Stout Field.

7 or 8 years ago was a completely different era. Everything changed after COVID. Gun shows have also changed a lot in the last few years.
    Ed and Bill Crafton had it back in the 80’s
    Bill was a good friend
    Me and a buddy used to help run it

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Don’t forget the Stout Field show is this weekend. March 23rd and 24th!
    I might try to make it out one day depending on what the F1 schedule is. I need a few odds n ends. I like Stout Field as you never know what you’ll find.

Top Bottom