Storms and power failure. Were you prepared today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Yes.

2. I don't know if our model can, but I would think there are some that can run on LP or both NG/LP.

Thanks!

A generator that can run on either NG, LNG, or LP would be awesome. NG for when the electricity fails, but the natural gas is still coming to the house, and then a couple of big LP tanks for more serious emergencies.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    what was the pun? I guess I missed it.

Haha, I was hoping nobody would ask that. I was really tired when I was typing, and it doesn't make as much sense now in the light of day. Something about a water pump and "all is well".

It made sense at 3am. lol

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Lasted at least 20 mins up by me. It let up a little bit in the middle then came back even harder... that's when the hail started... The light show really was something; the sky was almost continuously lit.

I looked at the radar when it started pouring...we were kind of on the edge of it. Like the other storms, it drifted south east too. That's probably why we didn't get the whole effect. (I live on the south end of the county).

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Please don't be over confident on how long food will survive in fridge or freezer with no power. Most won't last nearly as long as you'd think. Lots of them 4hrs is tops.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    16 hours later and still without power. Fridge and freezer still ok but much longer and it will be a complete loss. Duke says back on by 6:00 p.m. It's never been out this long before. Time to buy a genny.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    16 hours later and still without power. Fridge and freezer still ok but much longer and it will be a complete loss. Duke says back on by 6:00 p.m. It's never been out this long before. Time to buy a genny.

Can you go buy some ice and put in the fridge and freezer? Or at least load up a cooler or tub with ice and stuff?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I would not live anywhere without a genny. You know where I am at and I have 3 of them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would not live anywhere without a genny. You know where I am at and I have 3 of them.

Just curious, do you have that many outages, living in town? I'm out, kinda near the end of a REMC branch circuit and there's maybe 3-4 times in 11 years where I would have gone to all the trouble of dragging one (or three :) ) of them out and hooking them up. Maybe we've just been lucky.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Power is still out (went out about 1:15 a.m). Generator is up and running, so the sump pump, freezers, and refigierators are good to go. Still wishing I'd have had that transfer switch put in, but we are finally getting that done tomorrow. Word is we might get power back tomorrow, but there are still a ton of trees and lines down, I'm betting it will be Friday before we get power back.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bad weather missed us fortunately. Back at my old house in the burbs, almost the entire neighborhood left when the power went out for three days. I think I was one of three homes in 60 that had a genny.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Neighbor's tree got hit by lightning and fell into my yard. It fell on the power lines and ripped all the attached components off our house. I had to take the day off work to get an electrician out to fix it so the power company could hook us back up. I also spent most of the day with the chainsaw out cleaning up the mess. It could have been much worse though, and the power is back on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Neighbor's tree got hit by lightning and fell into my yard. It fell on the power lines and ripped all the attached components off our house. I had to take the day off work to get an electrician out to fix it so the power company could hook us back up. I also spent most of the day with the chainsaw out cleaning up the mess. It could have been much worse though, and the power is back on.

At least it was the tree getting hit by lightening rather than your house and electronics!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom