Storms and power failure. Were you prepared today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Bought a 6500 watt generator at the pawn shop a couple years ago. Paid just as much for the transfer switch as I did the gen set.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    a 2kW generator could provide the basics: AC and TV. :)

iirc, a small window air conditioner uses about 1 kW, and one should keep a couple rooms comfortable.

close off the AC rooms from the rest of the house.

Hmmm.

That's a good idea.

Get a window unit for survival when I can't run the central air!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hmmm.

That's a good idea.

Get a window unit for survival when I can't run the central air!

The link i posted a few pages back gives you options to help size a set and has several typical loads, like microwaves, fridges, window A/c etc. A typical window unit will be able to be powered by a small genny, especially those that plug into a typical 110V / 15A wall socket. Doing the math that circuit could be at 1650W if it was drawing max amps. For those sizing remeber that motor starting current for compressors on window A/C, freezers, etc will spike. So you will want a little reserve for that condition.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    My power went out Monday afternoon and we still don't have power and it's Friday morning. For some reason 75% of the neighbor hood was restored Wednesday night and everyone else except the street I'm on now have power. But all in all we were ready with flashlights, spare batteries, and candles. Wish we had a generator but all's good.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years back, after a storm, we were out for at least a day. Me, being an electrical engineer, with not much to do with power, went up and down our road and side roads (with my wife), figuring out the REMC circuitry to our house. In doing so, I saw where the problem was--a branch fell across the lines, just a quarter mile from us. I knew that's all it was because the people upstream from us had power.

Several hours later, my wife decided to head into town for more ice or something and there was a REMC truck about a 1/10th of a mile from that spot where the branch was. She stopped and excitedly asked if he was about to get us powered back up. When the guy said no, he was getting ready to do something else, she told him that there's where our problem was and could he squeeze it in. I guess she's got some persuasive powers because it was only a few minutes later, we had power back. :D Who knows how long it would have been if she hadn't talked him into it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Bought a 6500 watt generator at the pawn shop a couple years ago. Paid just as much for the transfer switch as I did the gen set.

There are other, more affordable method of connecting a generator into your breaker panel. My NEC compliant connection cost me ~$100 including the 50 cable that runs from my 6500 watt generator to my outdoor generator connection point (that is subsequently tied directly into my panel)...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The link i posted a few pages back gives you options to help size a set and has several typical loads, like microwaves, fridges, window A/c etc. A typical window unit will be able to be powered by a small genny, especially those that plug into a typical 110V / 15A wall socket. Doing the math that circuit could be at 1650W if it was drawing max amps. For those sizing remeber that motor starting current for compressors on window A/C, freezers, etc will spike. So you will want a little reserve for that condition.

There are other, more affordable method of connecting a generator into your breaker panel. My NEC compliant connection cost me ~$100 including the 50 cable that runs from my 6500 watt generator to my outdoor generator connection point (that is subsequently tied directly into my panel)...

So now I know how to handle this efficiently when I'm ready to install a generator. I invite you guys over for a visit, then just happen to be looking at the instructions with a puzzled look on my face. "Gee, I'm not sure I understand all of this . . ."

Engineer's Problem Solving Mode ACTIVATE! Operation Tom Sawyer Generator Installation SUCCEEDS!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So now I know how to handle this efficiently when I'm ready to install a generator. I invite you guys over for a visit, then just happen to be looking at the instructions with a puzzled look on my face. "Gee, I'm not sure I understand all of this . . ."

Engineer's Problem Solving Mode ACTIVATE! Operation Tom Sawyer Generator Installation SUCCEEDS!
    Lol!

That method also seemed to work well for the few girls that we had in our engineering classes. Needy engineers just can't help but come to the rescue when they see someone struggling with an "easy" problem!

*no implications that Rhino is a girl. ; )

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lol!

That method also seemed to work well for the few girls that we had in our engineering classes. Needy engineers just can't help but come to the rescue when they see someone struggling with an "easy" problem!

*no implications that Rhino is a girl. ; )

If it gets my generator installed properly, I'll wear a wig.

I used to be like you guys. I've even stopped to change tires for people . . . when I was young. Now I'm older and my laziness has extinguished my "helper" instinct.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If it gets my generator installed properly, I'll wear a wig.

I used to be like you guys. I've even stopped to change tires for people . . . when I was young. Now I'm older and my laziness has extinguished my "helper" instinct.
    Lol... my "helper" instinct is still very much alive in me...

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Lost power Friday afternoon till 0430 on Saturday. IPL had to replace a transformer and there was about 10 houses without power. Got home about midnight and made a cord to back feed the house from a 8500 watt generator in the garage. Some how I was getting 0.02 volts out of my turned off main. Noway was I going to send ANY voltage back on the IPL workers.

Wheeled that unbelievable heavy bastard by the house. Ran a cord to the fridge and a lamp 0230 powered up and saturated in sweat.

Mars Hill flooded, Mickey&Bills looked to have a foot of water in the buliding. Kroger flooded and IMPD set up mobile command at Burger King. I stopped by the BK to offer cones and stop signs, but IMPD had other DPW in route with the proper barricades. IMPD pulled officers from exbo duty to help the citizens of Mars Hill. Not much was going on downtown at 2000 when I went on a run on Georgia street. The concert was cancelled so that kept a lot of people indoors.

Things needed-
    - 3way disconnect =1 IPL,2 off, 3 generator
    -more fuel cans WITH fuel in them
    - 50' #8-4wire SO cord with 30amp twist lock plugs and recepicle
    -another head lamp
    - add front wheels and a handle to the generator
    - lantern

Things that helped having-
    -baseball cap with LED's
    -good gutters to keep the basement dry
    -generator
    -100 hour candles(my GF was burning scented candles and they made me nauseous)
    -heavy duty 12-3 40' cord
    -flashlights
    -my dogs watch my back as I was working(GF was bored, hot and asleep as I worked)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lost power Friday afternoon till 0430 on Saturday. IPL had to replace a transformer and there was about 10 houses without power. Got home about midnight and made a cord to back feed the house from a 8500 watt generator in the garage. Some how I was getting 0.02 volts out of my turned off main. Noway was I going to send ANY voltage back on the IPL workers.

Wheeled that unbelievable heavy bastard by the house. Ran a cord to the fridge and a lamp 0230 powered up and saturated in sweat.

Mars Hill flooded, Mickey&Bills looked to have a foot of water in the buliding. Kroger flooded and IMPD set up mobile command at Burger King. I stopped by the BK to offer cones and stop signs, but IMPD had other DPW in route with the proper barricades. IMPD pulled officers from exbo duty to help the citizens of Mars Hill. Not much was going on downtown at 2000 when I went on a run on Georgia street. The concert was cancelled so that kept a lot of people indoors.

Things needed-
    -another head lamp
    - lantern

-baseball cap with LED's
    -generator
    -flashlights
    -my dogs watch my back as I was working(GF was bored, hot and asleep as I worked)

Good call. We put in a generator panel that has the 3-way switch with a mechanical interlock. The panel can be fed by either the genny or the utility, but not both. For those reading...12-3 is good, but if you can get something 10ga and braided vs. solid conductor, life will be much more better. :)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    It cannot be over emphasized how important it is to properly hook up a generator to your house panel. If the connection to the utility company is not completely disconnected you will send voltage back out to the grid. Once that voltage goes through the transformer it will step up to high voltage (minimum 1200 volts is my guess) and keep going down the line.

You can KILL linemen a mile away by back feeding the grid. Linemen working on a line that has been triple checked as dead, then can be electrocuted when you fire up your generator and back feed to them.

If you have any doubts don't do it, don't kill the guy out there working his ass off to get power to you. With an interlock or transfer switch you can run a generator to power your house safely if installed properly.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

Things needed-
    -another head lamp
    - lantern

-baseball cap with LED's
    -generator
    -flashlights

This is a whole lot easier and safer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-3140...322487&sr=8-1&keywords=generator+switch+panel

Top Bottom