• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Those are some valid points. I had one touched up today and he seemed to know what he was doing. There wasn't any burs or discolor on the teeth.

How many times can you sharpen a chain?

It really depends on use, Type of wood, clean or dirty wood, metal content, user experience, etc.....

But on average I'd say your looking in the neighborhood or 8-12 touchups, less if you have to straighten a tooth out.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Those are some valid points. I had one touched up today and he seemed to know what he was doing. There wasn't any burs or discolor on the teeth.

How many times can you sharpen a chain?

If you keep it sharp and are just touching it up, hundreds of times. I generally take 3-5 swipes with the file on each cutter every tank fill or so and only rarely have to buy new chains, and I run 3-4 tanks of fuel through my saws a week.

If you take it in to be machine done, maybe 10-20 times.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've found it much less time consuming to do it by hand. I don't have to take the chain off and then take it somewhere.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i charge 5 buc's for 20" and under and 7 for 20" and up....no blue teeth and take the rakers down too:D....you can sharpen the teeth all you want but if you don't take the rakers down it won't cut worth a s^%t.....i get a lot of blued bars because of it....

btw if you have trouble sharpen try one of the kits i linked......oh it works fine on Stihl's too:D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you keep it sharp and are just touching it up, hundreds of times. I generally take 3-5 swipes with the file on each cutter every tank fill or so and only rarely have to buy new chains, and I run 3-4 tanks of fuel through my saws a week.

If you take it in to be machine done, maybe 10-20 times.
    This ^^^

The machines eat chains... quick touch-ups are the way to go. I haven't had to buy new chains since I got my saws 3 years ago and the chains were used when I got them.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    This ^^^

The machines eat chains... quick touch-ups are the way to go. I haven't had to buy new chains since I got my saws 3 years ago and the chains were used when I got them.

if you know what your doin' with the machine it won't eat chains.....3 years?????....do they even see wood???....longest time i have ran one was a 1 1/4 years.....

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    if you know what your doin' with the machine it won't eat chains.....3 years?????....do they even see wood???....longest time i have ran one was a 1 1/4 years.....
    You may be right that the machine won't "eat" chains if you know what you're doing, but I'm going to stand by what I said in the respect that they still "eat chains" aka, burn through them much faster than if you hand-filed.

Yes, my saws see plenty of wood. I've cut 20+ cords of wood on the smaller saw alone. The big one hasn't seen much use because I haven't cut much wood since I got it. Most of my wood was cut after I got my small Stihl saw but before I got my Makita. I haven't cut wood in the last 2 years because I had a 20 cord reserve set back when my life got really busy and hectic. Now that things are starting to settle down again and my 20 cord stash is getting down to about 12 cords I may start cutting again at a leisurely pace.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You will find that not many people can sharpen correctly with a machine. They leave the disc engaged on the tooth too long and takes the temper out of it.

YOu would be money ahead to use a file and touch up as needed. The one I posted earlier in this thread is an excellent tool.
    That does look good, great Xmas gift idea too :) Email hint sent to appropriate individuals.

I also have good luck with a cheap chain saw sharpener I got at Harbor Freight on sale when a new store opened up. It was just too cheap not to try it, like $20. You have to freehand with it. I don't trust the guides to be accurate or correct but I have a lot of experience sharpening blades and enjoy it so non issue for me. If a person lacks skills and knowledge, I can see chains being ruined in an instant.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    love all my Stihl's. Have an 076 with abrasive 14" blade that eats anything/everything if you are man enuf to handle it.....steel/concrete or both at same time. My first motorcycle (years ago) was a Honda 75cc.....its like picking up that engine with a spinning carbide blade out there.......wicked fun demo saw

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    MS170(in a case on a 4 wheeler)

My very reliable rebuilt AV31.I had a new base plate,rings,gaskets,cylinder sleeve,and carb rebuild last year for around $180.Also put a new bar on it.It says quite a bit about the company that they still support a 30+ year old saw(this was done at a dealer),and that I have never had a problem out of it.

The rings where shot,the cylinder was scored,and the base plate was leaking.Even with all that it still ran(though was a bear to start). I figured it was worth the money to rebuild.Now it is a first pull champ again and I should get many more years out of it.

+1 Stihl
    Wait till your ignition coil goes out on your 031 and then how much Stihl supports your saw..........

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Really? :D

Be careful. Somebody just might take you up on your offer.
    I been wrenching on saws for 25 years and the 372 is the best saw in the 70-75 cc saw class. I'm by no means disrepecting the 044-440 or even the 046-460 Stihl saws, they are fine saws, but a 372 does have a slight edge. It's a damned shame they are no longer being produced. Damned EPA regulations put the hurts on all chainsaws in stock form, but these regulations can be overcome with the right mods.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    yep there replacement 572's are a pain to make any good power......i have a new 372 still in the box.....didn't need it but it there just in case.....saw hoarder!!....lol...btw been makin' saw scream for 20+ years...:D

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    So what are you trying to say? It's not like he took his saw in and it was covered under warranty. Can you not get a replacement ignition coil?
    Not from a Stihl dealer. No longer available. I got a pile of 031's needing coils.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    If someone makes you that offer send them my way, I'd be glad to take them up on it. Because personal preferences aside, there's not much quality differences between the professional saws out there.
    I agree mostly what you post, Husky, Dolmar-Makita, Stihl, J-red all produced great pro saws, but one exception does stand out.The top handle climbing saw class. The MS200T is so far ahead of what Husky, or any other brand ever could produce. Husky's 335 and 338 climbing saws are pathetic compared to the MS200T. I have yet had a new model MS 201T that replaced the great 200T come in my shop, but from what I hear they are lacking unless modded to a stock 200T. Open up the muffler and fatten the high side a bit on the old 200T and you have the perfect arborist climbing- bucket saw.

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive owned Stihl saws and they are nice. Overall I like Husqvarna pro saws better though. Must have saws in a good collection. 346xp, 372xp, 044, 066, 390xp, 090, 3120xp. My favorite all around is the 390xp modded of course.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom