Steve Rinella's brother Matt goes against Meateater and other "social media" hunters

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    https://huntquietly.org

Im not sure if this has been talked about but i just happened across this. He makes some good points but I am guilty of posting pictures, mostly of fish which he doesnt talk about. Matt considers himself estranged from Steve now, despite being a former member of the meateater crew. He went head to head with Steve on the meateater podcast episode 304 87minutes in if anyone cares to listen to the brothers battle it out.

Personally I've always been against chartering/high fence at least for what I do. I know theres some hunts that require a charter so not speaking to those. Even in fishing I dont considering chartering really fishing. I dont see anything wrong with it if you're on vacation and go out on a charter but I dont really see that as being in the outdoorsman vein. More just a fun experience if that makes sense. Same with hunting, I watched a video of a guy bow hunt a lion and he had 5+ people around him with firearms, put 3 arrows in it and then pose with it. I know it has its place and brings in money for the community so im not against it but I dont think its really hunting. Im curious to see what others think on here.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I mean to each their own right? This debate will be like 45vs9 or open vs concealed there is no right answer and everyone thinks they have it.

my personal feelings….. high fence doesn’t make you a hunter but you are hunting. Same with chartered fishing to less of a degree because fish are much less predictable than high fence critters.

I am a hunter. And the only reason I don’t do any type of crazy exotic (high fence hunts) is budget limitations lol would I pose with a lion? Heck yeah but I’d be honest about how the lion was obtained. And what kind of fool wouldn’t have backup when archery hunting a lion lol I mean you have firearm backups when hunting moose.

unfamiliar with the family feud although I do enjoy watching meat eater. And I like how he promotes the lifestyle.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I'm not a member of the HQ group, but after reading the bullet points, I tend to agree with them. I think I have even deliberately followed them without knowing they were a thing. Good or bad. right or wrong, it fits my style of hunting.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm not a member of the HQ group, but after reading the bullet points, I tend to agree with them. I think I have even deliberately followed them without knowing they were a thing. Good or bad. right or wrong, it fits my style of hunting.

I checked out the article after you said it had bullet points lol….. and I agree with most except the MAIN message. I think making us lurk in the shadows like we are doing something wrong not only makes people less likely to participate in hunting but I think makes hunters out to be the bad guys. Hunting is nothing to be ashamed of.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I mean to each their own right? This debate will be like 45vs9 or open vs concealed there is no right answer and everyone thinks they have it.

my personal feelings….. high fence doesn’t make you a hunter but you are hunting. Same with chartered fishing to less of a degree because fish are much less predictable than high fence critters.

I am a hunter. And the only reason I don’t do any type of crazy exotic (high fence hunts) is budget limitations lol would I pose with a lion? Heck yeah but I’d be honest about how the lion was obtained. And what kind of fool wouldn’t have backup when archery hunting a lion lol I mean you have firearm backups when hunting moose.

unfamiliar with the family feud although I do enjoy watching meat eater. And I like how he promotes the lifestyle.
    Absolutely I agree with your point on carrying a firearm while hunting lions. I dont think its hunting though, unless you're the one actually tracking it. Having a team set everything up including a tripod to shoot from, pack everything out, etc takes the hunting out of it for me. If I had the funds id probably do it too. But I wouldnt call myself an african big game hunter. I wouldnt call myself a saltwater fisherman if I booked a charter and caught a swordfish. I personally know a millionaire who "hunts" and "fishes", has a marlin in his office but doesnt own a fishing rod. His hunts are mostly high fenced. Although ill give him credit he does now hunt property he purchased but he still doesnt gut the deer himself and the property is in a blue state out east where you can see more whitetails than squirrels. Great guy but considers himself a hunter, and fisherman. Am I a white water rafter because I went on a white water theme park ride?

Where I agree with Matt Rinella on this is that stuff like this (speaking of North America not Africa) is setting up a pay to hunt industry thats taking away from blue collar people and outfitters are buying up leases from farmers. Social media is pushing kids to think they need to be out trophy hunting. Im conflicted because I want farmers to prosper but now handshake deals where you help farmers out fixing fences etc doesnt cut it anymore. At some point you're paying more to hunt than it costs to just buy meat.

If you have the time id suggest listening to his podcast hunt quietly episode 32 with aron snyder. I think he articulates his message better than I can.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Absolutely I agree with your point on carrying a firearm while hunting lions. I dont think its hunting though, unless you're the one actually tracking it. Having a team set everything up including a tripod to shoot from, pack everything out, etc takes the hunting out of it for me. If I had the funds id probably do it too. But I wouldnt call myself an african big game hunter. I wouldnt call myself a saltwater fisherman if I booked a charter and caught a swordfish. I personally know a millionaire who "hunts" and "fishes", has a marlin in his office but doesnt own a fishing rod. His hunts are mostly high fenced. Although ill give him credit he does now hunt property he purchased but he still doesnt gut the deer himself and the property is in a blue state out east where you can see more whitetails than squirrels. Great guy but considers himself a hunter, and fisherman. Am I a white water rafter because I went on a white water theme park ride?

Where I agree with Matt Rinella on this is that stuff like this (speaking of North America not Africa) is setting up a pay to hunt industry thats taking away from blue collar people and outfitters are buying up leases from farmers. Social media is pushing kids to think they need to be out trophy hunting. Im conflicted because I want farmers to prosper but now handshake deals where you help farmers out fixing fences etc doesnt cut it anymore. At some point you're paying more to hunt than it costs to just buy meat.

If you have the time id suggest listening to his podcast hunt quietly episode 32 with aron snyder. I think he articulates his message better than I can.
    Yeah we are saying the same thing really… just because you’re hunting doesn’t make you a hunter.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That BS sounds like it is straight out of the anti hunting play book. If I'm being very, very generous, he is merely entitled and ignorant. Rather cowardly too. If I'm being more honest, the guy has his own agenda and it isn't about the preservation of hunting and certainly not the promotion of it.

I'm far from the biggest Steven Rinella fan but I have to feel for him having such a POS for a brother.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Debates about/with hunters about hunter/hunting are always so interesting.

Some believe that they are a part of some elite sect of society whereby you must abide be a set of ethics or a code to maintain this elite status. I suppose the term "sportsman" has fallen out of favor?

Others simply enjoy being outdoors and taking advantage of what opportunities present themselves.

The prior attitude is what keeps a lot of people out of the woods during hunting season, which I suppose is their intention.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Most of the stuff I have seen the Meateater crew do seems to be do it yourself hunts instead of canned hunts. I like how the first part of the show is the hunting, and the last half is the cooking and eating. No other hunting show I see does that.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Not really sure what his beef with his brother is. Most of the hunts I've seen on meat eater are public land hunts. Or he hunts with a land owner that bring him in
    Yea he does guided hunts but its not overwhelming.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Not really sure what his beef with his brother is. Most of the hunts I've seen on meat eater are public land hunts. Or he hunts with a land owner that bring him in
    Yea he does guided hunts but it’s not overwhelming.
    His issue seems to be with “hunting for likes” and how it gives so much ammo to anti hunters and how they shoot these animals to make sponsors happy instead of putting food on the table.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-social-media-helped-take-down-british-columbias-grizzly-hunt/

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How you define hunting is an old argument and it covers a lot of ground. The term "canned hunts" covers a lot of ground as well. My own experience with "canned hunts" was hunting with a friend who had bird dogs. We went to a place that put pen raised birds in different locations around a field and my friend basically exercised his dogs. It wasn't quail hunting as I did when I was a kid, but birds have been hard to find and I've pretty much given that up.

I enjoy turkey hunting in the spring, but can't get the gardener to cook or eat the turkey so they go up on a wall. I still consider that hunting even though I don't eat them.

Deer cover all the squares as they are treated as trophies and food so I suppose that meets about any definition of hunting.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Listen to the Hunt Quietly podcast. Seems oxymoronic.

I really don't need someone telling me how I should or shouldn't hunt. Same goes with fishing, hiking, camping, shooting, etc... as long as I'm within the rules and regulations and I'm doing it in a way that doesn't ruin it for someone else, you can pound sand if you don't like it.

You don't like a landowner's choice to engage in a hunting lease with the person or group of his choosing? Pound sand.
    You don't like someone for hiring a guide? Pound sand.
    You don't like someone posting that picture on their facebook page? You guessed it. Pound sand.

I haven't listened to or watched Steve Rinella since he sold out to the anti-gun media company because I thought it was the wrong thing to do, but you know what? It wasn't my company or choice, so I pounded sand.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    How you define hunting is an old argument and it covers a lot of ground. The term "canned hunts" covers a lot of ground as well. My own experience with "canned hunts" was hunting with a friend who had bird dogs. We went to a place that put pen raised birds in different locations around a field and my friend basically exercised his dogs. It wasn't quail hunting as I did when I was a kid, but birds have been hard to find and I've pretty much given that up.

I enjoy turkey hunting in the spring, but can't get the gardener to cook or eat the turkey so they go up on a wall. I still consider that hunting even though I don't eat them.

Deer cover all the squares as they are treated as trophies and food so I suppose that meets about any definition of hunting.
    You should watch meat eater lol you can learn to cook :laugh: :dunno:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Listen to the Hunt Quietly podcast. Seems oxymoronic.

I really don't need someone telling me how I should or shouldn't hunt. Same goes with fishing, hiking, camping, shooting, etc... as long as I'm within the rules and regulations and I'm doing it in a way that doesn't ruin it for someone else, you can pound sand if you don't like it.

You don't like a landowner's choice to engage in a hunting lease with the person or group of his choosing? Pound sand.
    You don't like someone for hiring a guide? Pound sand.
    You don't like someone posting that picture on their facebook page? You guessed it. Pound sand.

I haven't listened to or watched Steve Rinella since he sold out to the anti-gun media company because I thought it was the wrong thing to do, but you know what? It wasn't my company or choice, so I pounded sand.
    Should we “pound sand” if our public owned access we use to hunt/fish is being taken away?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/alaska-caribou-hunt-closures-federal-public-lands/

Federal land is ours yet in some states you need to go through an outfitter to hunt them or are completely blocked off from getting on them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That BS sounds like it is straight out of the anti hunting play book. If I'm being very, very generous, he is merely entitled and ignorant. Rather cowardly too. If I'm being more honest, the guy has his own agenda and it isn't about the preservation of hunting and certainly not the promotion of it.

I'm far from the biggest Steven Rinella fan but I have to feel for him having such a POS for a brother.

That was my thought as well, before listening to anything. Just seemed off.
    After some digging on web ended up just going to a HQ deal on YT.
    Didn't make it past a couple mins.
    Dude's delivery is worse than his brother's LOL.

Is he really an elitist or just has that in his normal speaking tone?

Hmmmm.............one has a hunting biz, that seems pushy.
    Now the other has a hunting biz that's supposedly anti pushy

Salt and pepper, packaged together?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have long suspected some Fauci type of nonsense to be used to end sport hunting ( in certain species ).

Yup, the lefties would kill 80% of the deer w some new disease, to stop deer hunting.
    That'd fit within their "logic".

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

I used to hunt with a old timer that didn't eat the deer or turkey he took, but he always made sure he had someone lined up that wanted or needed the meat.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Should we “pound sand” if our public owned access we use to hunt/fish is being taken away?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/alaska-caribou-hunt-closures-federal-public-lands/

Federal land is ours yet in some states you need to go through an outfitter to hunt them or are completely blocked off from getting on them.
    Not at all and never mentioned that type situation in my pound sand rant.

Join up and make your voice heard https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Beware though. One of Steve Rinella's buddies is a founder. His brother won't like it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom