• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Hey all, this might be a stupid question, but will steel case ammo (tula, wolf) damage my gun at all?? I plan on using it for practice with my 9mm and 308. I clean my gun after a day of shooting, and I just cant get over 1000 rounds of 9mm for 199.99 and 205 bucks for 500 rounds of .308. Thanks for any advice, ill be running the 9mm through a Hi-Point carbine and my future handgun, and the .308 through a Save 10FP if that makes any difference.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It won't hurt the gun, but you will need to detemine how your .308 will perform with it. Some rifles just perfer a particular bullet weight and the steel case ammo is around 145 grain.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    It won't hurt the gun, but you will need to detemine how your .308 will perform with it. Some rifles just perfer a particular bullet weight and the steel case ammo is around 145 grain.

I see, ive used 82 grain army surplus stuff and Winchester Soft Point which are 150 grain I believe.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Personally if you plan on actually hitting your target then I wouldn't suggest steel cased ammo, it has always performed poorly and was very inconsistent for my tastes, however I do use steel cased ammo in my SKS ( 7.62x39 ) Also in theory ( correct me if I am wrong ) gun barrels are generally made of steel and I could see the issue in steel grinding against steel (I.e. when the firearm ejects the spent casing and chambers a new one. ) after so many times wouldnt the steel casings eventually wear out the inside of the chamber? However most rounds are brass and since brass is a weaker metal than steel I don't have to worry about it causing as much wear? It's just my theory though. Please correct if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Personally if you plan on actually hitting your target then I wouldn't suggest steel cased ammo, it has always performed poorly and was very inconsistent for my tastes, however I do use steel cased ammo in my SKS ( 7.62x39 )
    what uh.. kind of information do you have to back this up.. hornady makes some pretty nice steel match in the .223 flavor.. im sure if they did / do offer the steel match in .308, it would perform quite well.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Just know this, I have found that Wolf is very very dirty to shoot. Some of the older Wolf had a coating on it that could foul up your chamber with repeated use.

As others have said, not the Hornady, the bulk BLOCK ammo isn't as accurate. However that said for training rounds or just blowin stuff up rounds it is cheap and you don't have to pick up the brass :):

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Just know this, I have found that Wolf is very very dirty to shoot. Some of the older Wolf had a coating on it that could foul up your chamber with repeated use.

As others have said, not the Hornady, the bulk BLOCK ammo isn't as accurate. However that said for training rounds or just blowin stuff up rounds it is cheap and you don't have to pick up the brass :):

Yeah, this would be for fun shooting only, more for the 9mm really, I wouldnt mind as muh if that were to get messed up, but my Savage is the whole thing that got me started in guns and id rather spend extra money to keep it running smooth.:D

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I understand this is one of the reasons the commie guns were crome lined. The crome was hard enough
    to prevent early wear in military guns. Also lessened the odds of a rusty round getting stuck
    in a chamber.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Personally if you plan on actually hitting your target then I wouldn't suggest steel cased ammo, it has always performed poorly and was very inconsistent for my tastes, however I do use steel cased ammo in my SKS ( 7.62x39 ) Also in theory ( correct me if I am wrong ) gun barrels are generally made of steel and I could see the issue in steel grinding against steel (I.e. when the firearm ejects the spent casing and chambers a new one. ) after so many times wouldnt the steel casings eventually wear out the inside of the chamber? However most rounds are brass and since brass is a weaker metal than steel I don't have to worry about it causing as much wear? It's just my theory though. Please correct if I am wrong.

Im sure that the steel used for cases in Tula and wolf ammo is softer steel compared to that of a gun chamber.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yeah, this would be for fun shooting only, more for the 9mm really, I wouldnt mind as muh if that were to get messed up, but my Savage is the whole thing that got me started in guns and id rather spend extra money to keep it running smooth.:D

Keep an eye out on like midway, cheaper than dirt, and Widener's, every now an then you can catch Federal Gold Metal Match on sale for around the 25 to 26 dollar a box mark. Your Savage will thank you ;)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Personally if you plan on actually hitting your target then I wouldn't suggest steel cased ammo

33yq6j9.png

Disagree.

It won't hurt the gun, but you will need to detemine how your .308 will perform with it.

2d8hymw.png

Bingo.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Keep an eye out on like midway, cheaper than dirt, and Widener's, every now an then you can catch Federal Gold Metal Match on sale for around the 25 to 26 dollar a box mark. Your Savage will thank you ;)

I was waiting for you to make an appearance! And I decided I would use the cheap bulk ammo for my 9mm but not my Savage, its my baby.:D I found some brass cased (believe mexican ammo) for about 209.99 a 1000 rounds. And I have a hard time ordering from CTD when they have such high shipping! And what do you think of BVAC ammo??

Last edited:

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    I've talked to a few owners of gun ranges and some gunsmiths that will not use steel case ammo. I personally only use brass. I figure the people who see what the ammo does to the guns on a regular basis know more then most others.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I fired only 50-100 rounds of Tula zinc from walmart out of my M&P9, and PPQ, and BOTH guns began not holding back the slide after the last shot. Cheap ammo, I thought, so I went back to brass, and continued to have the same issues, which I've never had before after thousands of rounds.

Hopefully it just gummed something up and cleaning will have resolved the issue, but I'm concerned that it may have messed up some of my magazines. Bottom line is that I will NEVER shoot steel ammo again in any gun.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My AR15 will not eat steel cased ammo at all, my AK will eat it all day long. I've fired a few steel cases in my M&P 9mm, had several extracting issues so i stopped using it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I understand this is one of the reasons the commie guns were crome lined. The crome was hard enough
    to prevent early wear in military guns. Also lessened the odds of a rusty round getting stuck
    in a chamber.

That, and chrome lined barrels also stand up better to throat erosion from shooting which is why most mil-spec barrels are also chrome lined too.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    in a chamber.

the chrome lining was to resist corrosion from the corrosive primers. The gas systems and parts are typically chrome lined as well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was waiting for you to make an appearance! And I decided I would use the cheap bulk ammo for my 9mm but not my Savage, its my baby.:D I found some brass cased (believe mexican ammo) for about 209.99 a 1000 rounds. And I have a hard time ordering from CTD when they have such high shipping! And what do you think of BVAC ammo??

Here is what you need Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC if your wanting to see what the rifle will do as far as accuracy goes without handloading :yesway:.

That "Mexican" ammo is just surplus, and at 200bucks for a 1000rds Im sure its not much and i doubt its brass cased. An it will be dirty. But if your just looking for ammo to blast with give this stuff Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC a try. It will be fairly clean, and its a reloadable brass case. Its also decently accurate at closer distances. So if the day comes you want to reload, you've got a jumpstart on your brass.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Some of the older Wolf had a coating on it that could foul up your chamber with repeated use.

Nope, the lacquer coating did not foul up the chamber.

What fouls the chamber is carbon, the steel case does not expand as well as brass, some carbon will leak by, and then build up.

The steel used is not going to hurt your barrel, the case is a softer steel than your barrel.

Top Bottom