• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Both my brothers live in them on our ranch down in Texas. And both did most of the construction themselves. Obviously they had someone come pour the foundation, and my younger brother's father-in-law is an electrician, so they cut lots of costs there. I got to see one of them during various phases of construction. Setting up the walls was like using an erector set. Bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. had standard ceiling height, den and living rooms open all the way up to the top, so lots of ways to go with it. His original house was 1600 square ft when he built it in 2002. In 2013 he knocked out the back wall and added another 1600 square ft. From the road it looks just like a barn, but inside you would never know it was a steel building.

They also built my mother's house on same ranch 3 years ago. But she wanted a more traditional looking house. It was still steel interior construction, but outer walls were textured Hardie Board. With hers you would never know it was steel construction.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing wrong with metal homes. We looked at this years ago and were told banks were a little skittish about loans on them because of resale value. Probably different today.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I know at first when steel use in residential housing started to become more prevalent, builders had problems, as you would have with any new material or method.

The steel industry was training a bunch of people, in order to increase their market.
    So, I don't know if things got better or not, or how the insurance is.
    I just know that at first things were rough.
    I think I heard they got better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I know at first when steel use in residential housing started to become more prevalent, builders had problems, as you would have with any new material or method.

The steel industry was training a bunch of people, in order to increase their market.
    So, I don't know if things got better or not, or how the insurance is.
    I just know that at first things were rough.
    I think I heard they got better.
    iu

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    We toured one of the early steel framed homes at a home show in Vegas back in the 90s.
    We used to do basement finishes, acoustic ceilings and commercial work in steel.
    The pros and cons that I remember.
    Pros- Bugs don’t eat it and does not burn or rot easily.
    It is straight and consistent dimensionally.
    It is lighter in weight compared to wood.
    Steel does not shrink or expand and contract with humidity, the main cause of fastener issues,“nailpops” in drywall installations.
    Cons- The material for electric installation is going cost a bit more.
    Wood blocking for doors, cabinets and equipment to be be mounted on walls was still necessary.
    Wood smells better when cut with a saw.

Last edited:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    My shop is pole construction. The details of the shell and the slab are key to efficiency in terms of heating and cooling . The walls have uninterrupted, full width 6 inch batts between the poles. The slab is tooth design with 3 inch foam veneer from the wall in the floor around the perimeter. The only thing I would change is to make it radiant heat(pex) in the floor. As it is, shop temps are always 5-8 degrees cooler than outside temps through the years. If I were to build a house, the versatility of pole construction would certainly be on my short list of options.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Growing up, had several friends in Colorado who lived in steel buildings. The indicated it was nice designing the rooms as there wasn't any concern about load bearing walls. Once finished, the interior looked like a standard house. I've got an insulated pole barn as a garage/workshop. The only negative I see is the wind blows through the metal seams and you can feel the air move through the building during gale force storms. I wish I would have had $$ to put an inch of spray foam right on the steel to create an air seal.
    --Rick
    Tyvek under the steel then insulating foam. Expanding foam can warp the siding and is impossible to separate from the steel if something is damaged and needs replaced.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    I bought a Mobile Dimenion 3 blade sawmill & cut 18,500 bd ft of lumber in a week in the UP. Built a 64'x84; 13'H Hanger/Pole barn here on the farm. Including fill, grading, hiring it framed & the steel roof put on, I wired it, built the 40; plane bifild door & sided istained it 8" bd & batten & the cost of 3 semi loads of Northern hemlock logd I had just under $10k in it. I got the concrete done for $1.35 sf all about 10 yrs ago. Sold the mill ar a nice profit & had a blast doing it. Now we're going to sell the farm & move to Utah or AZ so I can shoot yesr round.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I was going to go with a steel frame when I built, and I still would if I were building on flat ground. My dad however talked to me into a berm home, 3 concrete walls half buried and the front wall is regular stick framed. I am super happy with it because of the efficiency. My ac doesn't kick on until July, and I keep my thermostat at 72.

The main thing is insulation. I can't recomend spray foaming your walls enough. It is more expensive up front, but will definitely save you money in the long run.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In Morgan Co., someone is building a "shipping container" home. Doesn't look too shabby and has a basement.
    Done RIGHT, they can be pretty nice.

But you've got to know the limitations of the containers you get before you begin.

And they're nigh-on impossible to hit tornado safety benchmarks as far as I understand. I'm not 100% about that, though.

Top Bottom