• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seriously considering a steel building for a home.
    Does anyone here have one, had one?

Pros-cons, deals...?
    Any info. would be appreciated.

Any particular businesses to avoid?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Seriously considering a steel building for a home.
    Does anyone here have one, had one?

Pros-cons, deals...?
    Any info. would be appreciated.

Any particular businesses to avoid?
    Growing up, had several friends in Colorado who lived in steel buildings. The indicated it was nice designing the rooms as there wasn't any concern about load bearing walls. Once finished, the interior looked like a standard house. I've got an insulated pole barn as a garage/workshop. The only negative I see is the wind blows through the metal seams and you can feel the air move through the building during gale force storms. I wish I would have had $$ to put an inch of spray foam right on the steel to create an air seal.
    --Rick

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Great thread. I’d been meaning to start it myself. I’m also considering this if I find the right piece of land.

Instagram has been my main source for pics, ideas and floor plans. As I drive around south Putnam and Morgan county I keep finding more and more shouses, pole barn houses, barndominiums.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Great thread. I’d been meaning to start it myself. I’m also considering this if I find the right piece of land.

Instagram has been my main source for pics, ideas and floor plans. As I drive around south Putnam and Morgan county I keep finding more and more shouses, pool barn houses, barndominiums.
    if you like I can take a few images of the ones around here, I have seen a few go up and one plus would be termites, coupled with increasing wood cost may have quite a few benefits.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you want a quality product, check out Metal Roofing, Nationwide - Best Buy Metals We ordered EDCO vertical board and batten siding from them for the house we built for our daughter. We couldn't find any local dealers that would work with us, and this company delivered it to us for a few thousand less than the price we finally did get from the one local guy that got us a quote after multiple calls to the regional distributor. Very good quality product and it was easy to install. Looks great and virtually maintenance free. We didn't do a traditional steel building but a stick built home with steel siding. 167954019_10158423121974620_3582370940891204012_n.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If I were building it would be steel. Too many positives about them. Given the rise in lumber costs recently I'd guess that's leveling the playing field quite nicely.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One of my ex inlaws had a pole barn house in Missouri, that place was super cool! It looked like a standard pole barn from the outside, had about a 10’ wide sliding barn door (duh) on the front that when opened, exposed a nice entry door with sidelights and a nice poured concrete front porch.

It was a big open floor plan with a loft to other rooms upstairs.

once you were inside, nothing really resembled a pole barn, more like a modern home with high ceilings and nice timber beams.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Guy just up the road from me has one. It looks nice, not at all like a pole barn. With modern coatings not much maintenance at all. When they built it they didn't have any kids so it was basically an open floor plan but since they've now got a couple of younguns it was simple to throw up a couple of interior walls for their room. He said biggest down side is they have to turn on the a/c earlier in the year since it gets hot fast, and they had extra insulation put in.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If I were building it would be steel. Too many positives about them. Given the rise in lumber costs recently I'd guess that's leveling the playing field quite nicely.
    I don't know, I just bid steel panels for a garage roof...14' x 3' panel now $50.....not a year ago that panel was $21, so now the cheapest metal roof panel is about 50-75% more than the cost of asphalt shingles, which have also increased.

I got a guy wanting me to re-do his stick framed/asphalt shingled roof on a 24x30 garage. He wants me to remove shingles, decking, install new decking and metal roof. Then he wants exterior T-111 wood covered with steel siding and all new metal soffits and gutters. I don't think he realizes how expensive this is gonna be right now. I should have warned him....

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    My buddy's neighbors price shot up $2800 in a month (feb-march) from "starting the process" to actually paying for it. He said nothing changed but the cost of materials.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Saw quite a few when I was working in North Dakota, most were set so the "house" part faced away from the road. Just driving by you'd think it was just a barn or storage building and not give it a second thought. Once you were inside they all looked like normal houses, all except one. The "garage" portion of the one was big enough to house a workshop, a couple of everyday vehicles, dirt bikes, 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, a cigarette boat and a class A motorhome, but isn't everyone's?:p

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Who builds pole barn houses in central Indiana? I’d love to get a quote.

Breaking the law construction. They are doing an absolute huge pole barn house/lodge out East of Lewisville.
    Parks Construction outside of Monrovia. Just saw a build yesterday they’re doing on 39 south of Monrovia.
    Graber post buildings did a shop just up the road from me. They have a building cost simulator on their website.

There are so many and they keep popping up. Look it up on Instagram and you’ll be amazed.

RR buildings on Instagram and YouTube will make you want them to build you a barn/house for sure.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am actually looking for a kit.
    I have assembled, with a little help, a few steel buildings.
    I've assembled post framed buildings as well as traditional stick framed on a slab.
    I've put together one's from 24'x 40' with 10' side walls all the way up to 80'wide x 200' long with 18' side walls. That one was a chore.

I am a general contractor by trade and would rather put in the sweat equity than pay someone else to do something I am perfectly capable of accomplishing myself.

Top Bottom