• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I thought this, too, but was recently (today, 9/12/15) corrected by a member here, who showed me that there is no provision in IN law to allow the inactivation of one's LTCH.

That said, yours is not recognized in FL because you are not an IN resident now. FL is one of a few states that recognize our LTCH only for residents of IN. In other words, it's not because IN State Police have inactivated it, it's because you're in FL. Had you gone to TX, for example, or any of the other states that recognize our LTCH, according to what I've been shown, you would still have recognition of your right. You may wish to confirm this with IN State Police.

Blessings,
    Bill

Keep in mind --when you are not a resident of Indiana (like I am now) then your indiana license to carry handgun become inactive ...so in florida there is no reciprocation available because i no longer have an active ltch (until i move back to indiana --and it should be reinstated- i beleve) but i heard from bubba at vicks hardware that it was going away LOL:):

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I thought this, too, but was recently (today, 9/12/15) corrected by a member here, who showed me that there is no provision in IN law to allow the inactivation of one's LTCH.

That said, yours is not recognized in FL because you are not an IN resident now. FL is one of a few states that recognize our LTCH only for residents of IN. In other words, it's not because IN State Police have inactivated it, it's because you're in FL. Had you gone to TX, for example, or any of the other states that recognize our LTCH, according to what I've been shown, you would still have recognition of your right. You may wish to confirm this with IN State Police.

Blessings,
    Bill

I recently moved back to IN from FL, and can confirm this is true. Have spoken with several FL State Troopers about this when I was a FL resident.

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    New Map of Who Honors Indiana

INGunOwers.png

Though Maine went Permitless Carry they do not honor all other states permit/licenses but will honor anyone who honors them. Also Maine law is very specific. You need a permit/license that Maine issues or honors to carry in their state and national parks.

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Make sure you thoroughly research the definition of "residency" or discuss it with a knowledgeable attorney because this gray area can lead to trouble if you ever have any issues with your CCW or LTCH in another state.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Make sure you thoroughly research the definition of "residency" or discuss it with a knowledgeable attorney because this gray area can lead to trouble if you ever have any issues with your CCW or LTCH in another state.

Sounds like personal experience talking... What do you mean? I'd take residency to mean the state in which one makes his/her home. Is that inaccurate? Does this beg the question of what the meaning of "is" is?

Blessings,
    Bill

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Say so long to reciprocity with Virginia. The democrat disarmists are severing ties of reciprocity with all states but a few.

If you have a Utah permit, they still honor it. Of course, once the disarmists see the non-resident "loophole" they'll probably close it. God knows how they love to close "loopholes"...bastages!

http://www.guns.com/2015/12/22/virginia-to-void-ccw-reciprocity-agreements-with-25-states/

http://bearingarms.com/virginia-democrats-end-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bring-back-slavery/

Last edited:

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    New Map of Who Honors Indiana 2/1/16

Posting this early. Virginia will no longer honor Indiana starting Feb. 1, 2016. Also Maine is throwing some wrenches in the game. Seems they are saying now to carry in the only National Park in Maine (Arcadia Nat. Park) you have to have a permit issued by the state of Maine. That means a Resident or Non-Resident Maine permit. They are stating this as they say their law on carrying in the national park states a Maine Permit is needed. They never stated this before they went permitless carry when they honored 8 other states. I will be very busy the last couple weeks of Jan and first three weeks of Feb so thought I better get this taken care of now since I am just waiting for Santa right now to bring me some fresh ammo for my firearms!
    Merry Christmas and may your New Year be all you are seeking! INGunOwers.png

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That would be my understanding, but I've not read their new law to that effect. Wyoming, for example, went Constitutional Carry a few years ago, but only for their residents.

ETA: Jeremiah, do you have a link to this veto override? I'd like to see the law they passed.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    With just about a month before WV goes permitless carry WV has agreed to honor IN. It is about time!!!!

Attorney General Morrisey Secures Mutual Concealed Carry with Indiana

attached is a new map of who honors Indiana.

View attachment 47027

Thanks, Gary!

And for those keeping score at home, that makes 17 states that do not recognize us and 33 that do:

States that recognize IN LTCH
    States that recognize IN LTCH, resident only

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID,
    IN, IA, KS, KY, LA,
    ME, MI, MS,
    MO, MT,
    NH, NC, ND, OH, OK, PA,
    SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WV, WI, WY.

States that do not recognize IN LTCH
    States that do not recognize IN LTCH based solely on where the carrier actually lives.

CA, CT, DE, HI, IL, MD,
    MA, MN, NE, NV, NJ, NM,
    NY,
    OR, RI, SC, WA

Last edited:

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Starting July 1, 2016 Virginia will honor Indiana. They will honor all states on that date! I am going to be very busy as a lot of changes taking effect July 1. IF I forget Email me at admins@handgunlaw.us and remind me and I will update the map for you.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm certainly appreciative of Mr. Slider's efforts, and the handgun reciprocity map. However, there is something I don't understand.

In my case: I'm an Indiana resident with a valid LTCH. I want to go to Colorado to hike this summer. Colorado is colored in 'tan', and the ledger says "IN Res Permit Only". What does this mean ? Can I legally carry my handgun in Colorado ?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It means that CO only honors a resident permit. I have a UT non-resident permit e.g. because I'm not a resident of UT.

If you have the LTCH, you have a resident permit because you're a resident of IN. You're GTG in CO. Visit the referenced website. Denver has a magazine capacity limit. Learn the laws of CO before you go.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    It means that CO only honors a resident permit. I have a UT non-resident permit e.g. because I'm not a resident of UT.

If you have the LTCH, you have a resident permit because you're a resident of IN. You're GTG in CO. Visit the referenced website. Denver has a magazine capacity limit. Learn the laws of CO before you go.

Will do .... and many thanks for your explanation. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Starting July 1, 2016 Virginia will honor Indiana. They will honor all states on that date! I am going to be very busy as a lot of changes taking effect July 1. IF I forget Email me at admins@handgunlaw.us and remind me and I will update the map for you.

Actually, according to their website, they have an informal agreement in place to recognize us now as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    WTF Minnesota

I'm going into the boundary waters. Thanks for denying my ****ing right to have a handgun on me to protect myself. **** you Minnesota. **** you.

Top Bottom