• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Has anyone heard any estimates on how long the turn around will be? I know it's in the order that they are received, but does the fix take 5 mins per gun or 3 days?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Has anyone heard any estimates on how long the turn around will be? I know it's in the order that they are received, but does the fix take 5 mins per gun or 3 days?

Considering you can completely strip and rebuild the gun down to the part level in about an hour, the biggest holdup will be if it requires machining or parts that aren't available.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe it's been stated upthread something about a 2-4 week turnaround estimate but it's anybody's guess at this point.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    FWIW, Springfield says they won't start working on them until Mid-September, and no ETA on return to owners. I'm waiting to send mine in.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Use this as an "opportunity" since you know you need a backup to your XDs anyway. Not that I really need much of an excuse to buy another gun but this one is "gift wrapped"!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Use this as an "opportunity" since you know you need a backup to your XDs anyway. Not that I really need much of an excuse to buy another gun but this one is "gift wrapped"!!

Heh, my Springfield was a backup to my G29 ;) I already have 4 guns as primary EDC depending on dress and need. The XDs was intended to be a deeper concealment weapon when I needed to be extra discreet.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Yes, I too had to sadly tell my wife that since I had to send my XDs off I would need to get a replacement. Finally, had a good reason to by the SR9c I was wanting.

Papabeargsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anderson
    FWIW, Springfield says they won't start working on them until Mid-September, and no ETA on return to owners. I'm waiting to send mine in.

I sent a email to Springfield Armory and I was told the same. I also asked if they would inform me when they shipped it back to me. There answer was they had not made that decision yet.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I hope they keep them in some sort of order. Since they won't bother to start for a couple of weeks that's a whole lot of stacked guns to go through. Those of us that sent them in early could easily get screwed into a very long wait if they don't process them in the order received.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I started out feeling pretty ambivalent about the situation, mistakes happen. However, I have to admit that I am starting to have some negative feelings here. Informing after the fact that they are not even going to start work until mid September, saying that they may not even take the time to inform owners that their gun had been fixed and shipped so that we know to watch for them, and getting nothing in return except a "fixed" gun that wasn't broken to start with, is pushing the boundaries of my patience. Not all of us have a safe full of alternate carry guns or the ability to run out and buy one on a whim. They just seem to have a very flippant attitude toward the owners affected by this IMO. I wouldn't have bothered to send mine in other than the fact that not doing so would negatively affect the sell/trade ability down the road.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've heard great things about SA's customer service. My take on this is just that. They are recalling over 225,000 guns. Even with a fifteen minute fix, your talking 30 minutes per gun to unbox, fix, and get ready to ship back out. A monumental task. I don't want mine to be one of the first they work on. I'll let them get the process streamlined, everyone comfortable. I have had no issues with it and there is no reason to expect an issue because a recall notice was placed. It'll go back once the flow is established. If you don't have a BUG, now is a great opportunity to get one.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Don't forget about the cost to verify the functionality of the gun when it comes back. No one knows what exactly is going to be changed yet. I've heard from various forums (XDTalk being one) that the parts replaced range from just the grip safety all the way up to the sear, trigger bar, striker along with the grip safety. It seems those that actually do get through to SA can't get a straight answer. Since this may end up being an almost rebuild of the frame then the guns (2 of them for me) will have to prove themselves again. That means at least 200 flawless rounds each before they get carried again. While it's fun to go out and blow off 400+ rounds, it sucks to have to pay for them for something that was flawless before, especially since they will be carry ammo, for me that means HST's. My wallet & wife are gonna be pi$$ed.

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    2 weeks before they start fixing the guns! I sure hope this is not an Obama Scam and this is how the Obamament starts to confiscate guns. If so, I fell prey.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Don't forget about the cost to verify the functionality of the gun when it comes back. No one knows what exactly is going to be changed yet. I've heard from various forums (XDTalk being one) that the parts replaced range from just the grip safety all the way up to the sear, trigger bar, striker along with the grip safety. It seems those that actually do get through to SA can't get a straight answer. Since this may end up being an almost rebuild of the frame then the guns (2 of them for me) will have to prove themselves again. That means at least 200 flawless rounds each before they get carried again. While it's fun to go out and blow off 400+ rounds, it sucks to have to pay for them for something that was flawless before, especially since they will be carry ammo, for me that means HST's. My wallet & wife are gonna be pi$$ed.
    That's exactly right. And WHY can they not give a straight answer as to what is going to be done. Seems that it is a perfectly reasonable request to know what someone is doing to your gun. Do they not even know for sure themselves yet? Is that why they are not starting work for two more weeks, because they haven't even decided HOW to fix them? It is just starting to seem like a huge cluster$@&_ now instead of the relatively easy deal it seemed at first.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    2 weeks before they start fixing the guns! I sure hope this is not an Obama Scam and this is how the Obamament starts to confiscate guns. If so, I fell prey.

I've heard the scam and confiscation statement on several forums, most jokingly and a few serious. Although I wouldn't put anything past this administration, I seriously doubt that Springfield or any other manufacturer would go along with this. The first one that did would be history, as they should be. Even in the event they did go along with something that despicable I doubt that the first thing they would go after would be 5 and 7 shot pistols.

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I've heard the scam and confiscation statement on several forums, most jokingly and a few serious. Although I wouldn't put anything past this administration, I seriously doubt that Springfield or any other manufacturer would go along with this. The first one that did would be history, as they should be. Even in the event they did go along with something that despicable I doubt that the first thing they would go after would be 5 and 7 shot pistols.

Mine is said jokingly exactly for the same comment you made as a 5 and 7 shot pistol.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Mine is said jokingly exactly for the same comment you made as a 5 and 7 shot pistol.
    Most people on INGO have enough sense to realize that. What's really scary are some of the other "larger" forums. The tinfoil is working overtime on them. It starts out kind of funny but the longer you read the worse it gets. It goes from a slight chuckle to almost a full on weep for society with various stages of facepalm intensity in between.

It's worth checking some of the others out to see what people have to say, just treat it like a black hole. Don't get too close and know when to turn around so you don't get sucked in. Resist the temptation to join a forum just to comment because of the stupidity. It's hard to do sometimes.

Top Bottom