• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    Years ago I had a Para Ordance 9mm that I used in IDPA however, it had its shortcomings and was traded in at some point. I recently looked at the Springfield Prodigy and was impressed. The reviews early at the release had a few issues however the recent releases seem to be promising. Does anyone have one and how is it running?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I picked up a 5" off a member here and I have zero complaints. I ran 150rnds through it without a hiccup and it was as accurate as I hoped it would be. Factory trigger is ok but I'm a picky f'er so it's with AllenM for some mojo and a 38super barrel fitting.

I have a Para 14-45 and it's far better than it imo.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's a great way to spend the money of a Staccato without actually having a Staccato IMHO.

PD3pPQj.jpg

If you want a project gun, go for it but expect to have issues IMHO. 2011's and especially 2011's that actually run are not cheap.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    So is it worth the asking price? It seems to be a lot of firearm for the price.
    I would say the first ones off the production line were not very reliable but the newer releases have improved dramatically and are worth the price of admission.
    The only reason I took my Prodigy to a professional was to have a 38super barrel fitted, flat trigger, and a different manual safety because im a picky f'er, not for reliability issues. I agree with your assessment that they are alot of firearm for the money.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    It's a great way to spend the money of a Staccato without actually having a Staccato IMHO.

PD3pPQj.jpg

If you want a project gun, go for it but expect to have issues IMHO. 2011's and especially 2011's that actually run are not cheap.
    I do like the Staccato and it is a sweet gun but is it twice the gun of the Prodigy? Imo no. Do I have one? No, but I do have some trigger time on the Staccato.
    For the price of a Staccato, I have a Bul TacLight SAS2 and a Prodigy that actually run reliability.
    I frequent 1911addicts, 1911forum, and have visited 1911fanatics and have read of peeps having issues with their Staccato and have had to send them back more than once. Does that make them not worth the money? No. It means if you get enough of them out there, there will be ones that have issues. That happens with SVIs, Guncrafters, Staccatos, Prodigys, Buls, and other quality firearm manufacturers. No need to hate on the ones that you think are inferior just because yours cost twice or more.
    If I was going to spend Staccato money on a 2011, I would have AllenM build me one, well another one, since I already have 1. :twocents:

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I do like the Staccato and it is a sweet gun but is it twice the gun of the Prodigy? Imo no. Do I have one? No, but I do have some trigger time on the Staccato.
    For the price of a Staccato, I have a Bul TacLight SAS2 and a Prodigy that actually run reliability.
    I frequent 1911addicts, 1911forum, and have visited 1911fanatics and have read of peeps having issues with their Staccato and have had to send them back more than once. Does that make them not worth the money? No. It means if you get enough of them out there, there will be ones that have issues. That happens with SVIs, Guncrafters, Staccatos, Prodigys, Buls, and other quality firearm manufacturers. No need to hate on the ones that you think are inferior just because yours cost twice or more.
    If I was going to spend Staccato money on a 2011, I would have AllenM build me one, well another one, since I already have 1. :twocents:

I am intrigued you sent the prodigy to a smith and did not have the sear and hammer worked over especially with a newly fit barrel (since prodigy mags should work just fine with .38 super). Thats normally the first thing on my hit list when sending a 1911 off for work and accounts for a large portion of the cost. That being said I know what I like and am willing to pay to get it essentially off the shelf. My Springfield Operator being the exception, but I have a lot of time and money behind that particular gun. Finally see my signature for further explanation.

7hKXPOh.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I am intrigued you sent the prodigy to a smith and did not have the sear and hammer worked over especially with a newly fit barrel (since prodigy mags should work just fine with .38 super). Thats normally the first thing on my hit list when sending a 1911 off for work and accounts for a large portion of the cost. That being said I know what I like and am willing to pay to get it essentially off the shelf. My Springfield Operator being the exception, but I have a lot of time and money behind that particular gun. Finally see my signature for further explanation.

7hKXPOh.jpg
    I'll get the sear work done when I upgrade to the Guncrafter Frag grip to go with my single stack Emissary I had a 38super barrel fitted to and had some AllenM mojo on. The sear is fine for now but is on the list. The Buls sear will stay as-is as it was great out of the box.

I spent a little time with the Staccato and knew I wouldn't have left it stock either. When I'm finished with the SA I'll probably have Staccato money in it but I'll be happier with it than I would with a stock Staccato. Not dogging on the Staccato as it's a sweet gun, its just not my 1st choice.

As stock weapons go I still believe the value of the Staccato isnt twice the gun the Prodigy is as the price would suggest.

slavens33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Idk if it will apply to you, but Springfield has a discount program for first responders. I think it's called Firstline? Anyway, I paid $1250ish for my 5in Prodigy at Top Guns in Terre Haute. Had nothing but trouble with it. Double feeds, jams, magazine issues, and my rear sight walked over about a quarter inch my second time at the range. Sent it to Springfield with a list of issues and after six weeks I called for a status update only to be told the repairs were complete and the service rep emailed me a list of the repairs. I emailed back since some of the issues were not addressed in the completed repairs list and they assured me everything was taken care of. When I received my gun the rear sight hadn't been touched.... Not a big deal as I used a sight pusher and moved it myself, but it didn't boost my confidence that they actually addressed my issues. However... after that rocky start my Prodigy has been running fine. I wouldn't spend the money on one again or any other Springfield products at this point, but I tend to get really irritated when my $200 guns function better than my $1250 dollar guns. Also, you might check out the Stealth Arms Platypus. I have one in the build que and they also offer a military discount so mine was about $1600 which keeps you in that midrange price point for a 2011 style firearm.

Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    The more competitive pricing is making it harder to resist.

At a recent IDPA match, a guy had one and it was working flawlessly and he was quick and accurate.

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    My Prodigy 4.25 does like some of my reloads, but with factory Blazer ammo I've had no issues. Gun shoots accurate and flat.
    Reload issue is I didn't size the case small enough (reloads run great through my glocks and shadow systems), just seems the prodigy doesn't like them, I think it's a tighter barrel tolerance

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    STI / Staccato small parts are forged but OK at best, compared to other high end manufacturers,if you are having it upgraded aftermarket go cylinder and slide IMHO.
    At the price of a Staccato, the small parts should be better than ok. I personally wouldn't buy one with the intention of upgrading parts too. That just gives more reason to go with a Prodigy instead.

Top Bottom