• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't see the diversion option, but will have her check into the diversion option. She has a clean driving record, but was going 13 over is a school zone in Greenwood. That may be why there is no option on the ticket.

I don't think they mention it on the tickets. The deferral/diversion program is at the discretion of the prosecutor. (My post above has the links for Johnson County, I believe, since you are in Franklin but a quick search for whatever County the ticket was issued in and deferral program should find it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't think they mention it on the tickets. The deferral/diversion program is at the discretion of the prosecutor. (My post above has the links for Johnson County, I believe, since you are in Franklin but a quick search for whatever County the ticket was issued in and deferral program should find it.

I have received a document explaining the deferral program from the officer at the same time they issued the citation. It’s pretty simple to just call the clerks office on Monday to find out if the county or city it was issued in has the program. They are more than happy to take your money.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I did the deferral/diversion route several times as a young man. In my experience, the county would much rather you pay them a little extra instead of your insurance company.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Wife got a ticket last week with 3 options on the ticket:
    • plead
    • no contest
    • not guilty

What is the no contest option. How do we avoid this going on her record and jacking the insurance.

Not guilty is not an option - she was speeding

Good explanation of the "No Contest" plea meaning.

If the ticket has a web address that you can use for paying it the options, including a probation or deferral program, will show up when you go to the site. If no deferral option shows up on the web site, if they have one, then calling the proper local authority might get you the information about applying for deferral if it is allowed where you live.

Your insurance agent should be able to explain the impact on your rates of the ticket.

IIRC when I was in a deferral program, I paid a fee and then had to go 6 months with no additional violations of the same type. The penalty for a violation in the deferral period was loss of the deferral fee, pay the original fine for the first ticket and not eligible for deferral on the second ticket.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I used the crap out of the diversion program, until they wouldn't let me use it anymore. Paid a couple three counties that bribe money.

Been lucky in recent years. The pink paper first trick has always turned tickets into warnings.

Which pink paper are you referring to? Are your checks pink and you keep a blank one with your license?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did the diversion deal once when I felt the officer was in the wrong. I paid a lawyer to go to the court and file the paperwork and 6 months later he called and asked if I had any tickets. When I said no, he went back to the courthouse and filed whatever papers he had to, signed all of them for me and it was done.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    She will have to call the court and ask about diversion. It will not be an option on the ticket. When I worked in Elkhart County, I had pamphlets about diversion that I could give out when I wrote a ticket. It is kind of like a secret option.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    She will have to call the court and ask about diversion. It will not be an option on the ticket. When I worked in Elkhart County, I had pamphlets about diversion that I could give out when I wrote a ticket. It is kind of like a secret option.

It was Elkhart County where I received the pamphlet from the officer that wrote the citation. It went something like this “Officer can you just give me a warning instead if the ticket?” The Officer said he couldn’t do a warning only but his help was to offer the diversion program. I was speeding and the citation was mine to pay so I did appreciate the officers help directing me towards the diversion program.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The daughter worked in the clerk's office back several years ago. She said that people would pay the extra for the diversion, then get another ticket, so they would come in and yell at her that they wanted their money back now since the diversion was no longer an option. People are morons.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The daughter worked in the clerk's office back several years ago. She said that people would pay the extra for the diversion, then get another ticket, so they would come in and yell at her that they wanted their money back now since the diversion was no longer an option. People are morons.

I just checked the website and it looks like it’s an available option.

Traffic Tickets | Elkhart County Prosecutors Office

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    There are key words - As in not reported to the BMV and neat stuff like that. This is for Greenwood only. But you get the idea. Generally traffic fines are split between government entities. This nifty program allows the City or County to keep ALL the money. Yes, they do like money. Edit to add, I
    have no problem paying my fines. The way I drive probably deserves the gas chamber.

https://www.greenwood.in.gov/egov/documents/1519331818_37677.pdf

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Top Bottom