• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...it's a reasonable assumption that certain cars that appeal to safety minded and "boring driver" owners will have lower fatality ratings based entirely on driver behavior per registered vehicle as opposed to physical safety measures.
    As I said, just another tool. And I think it can be useful when comparing similar vehicles or vehicles likely to be driven by similar drivers.

The drivers of a Mercury Grand Marquis are likely to be fair boring. The drivers of VW Passats are likely similarly boring, though probably skew younger. Both cars have very similar NTSB ratings. But one rates 16 deaths per million and the other 83. That's a pretty big disparity. I'm sure there's any number of reasons why, but one car is a design that is decades old, the other is based on much more modern design.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad like my 95 so much he bought a 06.

They ride like a caddy, when the rear air suspension starts leaking swap the bags out for the ever reliable springs. No leaks after that.

Millions of cabs and police officers relied for years on the panther platform, either as a crown vic or GM. Looks like an old man's car but has enough 4.6 to move on out. Decent mileage and the back seat is roomy enough to make a fella into a grandfather.

Only other car to suggest would be a Toyota pick up with a 22r. They don't die, respectable enough looking for a young high schooler and slow. Only issue right now with that is they're very sought after on the market and 3k won't get a rusty frame right now. Everybody wants em a Marty McFly toyota....

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I have a Grand Marquis, I love the car but it has been a bit of a money pit on repairs.

18mpg is a little optimistic for city driving IME with the cars.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    My first was a 78 f-250 4x4 with the 400 v8, back in 2004. Loved that truck so much, i still have it! But i don't drive it much these days lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As I said, just another tool. And I think it can be useful when comparing similar vehicles or vehicles likely to be driven by similar drivers.

It's a tool that tells you a VW bug is 3x safer than an F-250, but since you said similar vehicles let's take a look at multiple iterations of the exact same vehicle. The Ford Fusion:

It's a tool that tells you a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid is over twice as safe as the non-plug in hybrid.

It's a tool that tells you adding AWD to your Fusion nearly doubles your risk of dying in it.

If that seems like a useful tool to you, by all means use it. Again, respectfully, I say it's a horrible metric.

Reactions: Leo

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I have a Grand Marquis, I love the car but it has been a bit of a money pit on repairs.
    Well the same can be said for any car over about 5 years old. My reasoning is this - if it's paid off, put what you'd be spending on a car payment into a savings account. When a pricey maintenance item arises, either fix it or decide it's time to buy new. After a while, the cost of a repair will outweigh the value of the vehicle and by then you should have a nice healthy amount of money to put as a down payment on that new(er) car.

Now if you're like some people (whose name I won't mention) and don't follow this, every time that repair bill comes up it's this agonizing over is the car worth the price of the repair but can't afford a new car and don't want another car payment... I'm exhausted just reciting it! It's also why I proactively bought a spare used car just for that very reason. So apparently she isn't dumb - she knew if she whined about it enough I would take care of it!!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My first was a 78 f-250 4x4 with the 400 v8, back in 2004. Loved that truck so much, i still have it! But i don't drive it much these days lol.
    My first car was a 79 Fairmont but I didn't drive it long before I bought a 79 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 400 and 4.10 gears rolling on 33x12.5's from my uncle. We rebuilt the engine together and that thing would've pulled about anything. Sure didn't pass very many gas stations driving around in the city though. I miss that truck but wouldn't want that fuel mileage with prices now

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    A set of curtains, a pillow, and a blanket. Rolling Motel 6! Sold a 2004 last Nov. that had 128k on the clock. I was 2nd owner. Florida model.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My first car was a 79 Fairmont but I didn't drive it long before I bought a 79 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 400 and 4.10 gears rolling on 33x12.5's from my uncle. We rebuilt the engine together and that thing would've pulled about anything. Sure didn't pass very many gas stations driving around in the city though. I miss that truck but wouldn't want that fuel mileage with prices now
    I had an 81 Fairmont. Was my second car. I'll have to find a pic and scan it and post it. Was hilarious because I got it painted, put some wheels on it, air shocks on the back, tinted windows, New transmission, little steering wheel, even put an aftermarket tac on it,etc. Wouldn't get out of its own way, but looked good for what it was.

First car was a '74 Mustang ii. My brother took it off my hands to give it to his ex wife as he was divorcing her. Yeah, it was a complete POS with more holes than floorboards.

Top Bottom