• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    My son got pulled over by a Spencer Sheriff today. He was asked if there where any weapons in the car so he gave the Sheriff his 9mm and his pemit. It was returned field stripped and mags unloaded which I guess is fine :rolleyes: But when he got home I went to reassemble it and the slide is all scratched up ? Wasnt like that before so I guess the officer couldnt figure the field stripping out at first and procceded to scrach the **** out of the gun trying to take it apart ! Question is what can I do about this ?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I really don't understand the whole disassembly thing. What's the point? Is it to give the cop time to get away before you shoot him? Write the ticket and give back the gun... the way you found it.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I'd have my attorney take care of both getting an appology from the deputy for overstepping his authority in disassembling my lawfully owned & lawfully carried firearm & also for getting compensated financially for the damage that he caused to it.

I agree. I couldn't help but question a LEO as to why he feels it is necessary to disassemble my firearm. I feel that unloading should suffice.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    My issue isnt with the taking it apart ( even if it is stupid everyone know a bad guy isnt going to just hand his gun over ) its with sratching the crap out of the gun !

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I will have to agree (at the risk of sounding like I'm LEO bashing) with this. Why disassemble a legally carried firearm? So the LEO feels safe? Here's an idea; quit your job. I guarantee you will not only feel safer, you will actully be safer. Is the possibly the concept that the LEO will have time to drive away before the firearm is reassembled and reloaded? If someone were going to shoot you, wouldn't it make more sense to shoot as the LEO approaches the car? Or pull a second undeclared firearm as the LEO returns off guard?

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I was stopped years ago and told the officer up front I was armed and had a permit. He asked me where it was I told him it was in my shoulder rig. He asked me to remove it with my left hand and place it up on my dash then said very politely not to make any sudden movements toward it. He checked my permit and then said I was free to go. "Forgetting to write my ticket BTW :)" When did they change policy on this? Or is there even a policy on the proper way to handle the situation?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I was stopped years ago and told the officer up front I was armed and had a permit. He asked me where it was I told him it was in my shoulder rig. He asked me to remove it with my left hand and place it up on my dash then said very politely not to make any sudden movements toward it. He checked my permit and then said I was free to go. "Forgetting to write my ticket BTW :)" When did they change policy on this? Or is there even a policy on the proper way to handle the situation?

If they have a policy, they don't follow it. There are many threads here with stories that are all over the place with how such encounters go down.

JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    Did the cop ask for the pistol, or did your son surrender it voluntarily? The couple times I've gotten pulled over, I've handed out my licence and permit before being asked, and its never been an issue.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    NotThisShitAgain.jpg

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Sorry to hear. Your son's gun got molested.:n00b: I would be really pissed off if I were in your son's shoes. How bad do the scratches look? Do you have a before and after pic you could post up to show all of us? I am sorta curious as to how bad it looks.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I love that ! Have to do a little better to get a rise out of me check out my avatar :D Yes I have pics of it before Ill have to what untill I see him again to get after pics . No he did not just hand it over he was asked if there were any weapons in the car so being a good citizen he did as he was told . Like I said the taking it apart isnt my real issue although if you dont know how to take a firearm apart the right way then DONT it that he screwed up the finish ! I called the Department and the officer is suposed to call me back . 10 to 1 be dosent ! :rolleyes:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Be sure to let us know how it turns out, I am tired of this crap, they got no right man! I am starting to think we DO need to start telling cops that we have nothing illegal in the vehical, we wouldn't be lieing...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I got a custom 1911 with a two piece guide rod. I would like to see him try and disassemble it....LOL

It takes the right size Allen wrench to unscrew the guide rod and then a special tool for that brand barrel bushing. Not a normal barrel bushing.

Top Bottom