• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My issue isnt with the taking it apart ( even if it is stupid everyone know a bad guy isnt going to just hand his gun over ) its with sratching the crap out of the gun !

That would have been my biggest issue, even if he had taken it to his cruiser and re-finished it and returned it to me flawless.

Just like always, another great story of a "chest thumper" who has his own views on they way it SHOULD be; not the way it actually is.

Maybe your son intimidated the LEO? :D

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    This is one of many reasons if your state protects your privacy and you don't have to disclose I advocating exercising your rights.

Your son was directly asked though. Lying is not the right way either and lying to an officer can be looked at as quite poor.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I love that ! Have to do a little better to get a rise out of me check out my avatar :D Yes I have pics of it before Ill have to what untill I see him again to get after pics . No he did not just hand it over he was asked if there were any weapons in the car so being a good citizen he did as he was told . Like I said the taking it apart isnt my real issue although if you dont know how to take a firearm apart the right way then DONT it that he screwed up the finish ! I called the Department and the officer is suposed to call me back . 10 to 1 be dosent ! :rolleyes:

No intention to get a rise out of you, and no offense intended in re: your OP. My point, as I said to someone else in a PM, was only that I hate seeing these threads turn into the inevitable LEO bashes they do.

I do agree that this officer needs to be accountable for his actions that day and that someone (preferably him, but it will probably be his department) needs to compensate the actual loss/damage caused by his actions.

I'd also like to see a department policy (or better, a statewide educational initiative) that field stripping and emptying mags is unnecessary and can be costly to one's department.

Blessings,
    Bill

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I called the Department and the officer is suposed to call me back . 10 to 1 be dosent ! :rolleyes:

He may very well call you back, but who the hell cares? What's he gonna say over the phone to you that is acceptable, other than "I'm sorry, how much do I owe you?"

The first time I ever field stripped a gun I broke it. Followed the directions (or so I thought) but neverthelsss, I had it for one day, and sent it back to the manufacturer for 2 weeks.

The point is if you can't do it, don't. ESPECIALLY LEO who shouldn't do it anyway under the OP circumstances, even if they DO know how to field strip it.

It drives me absolutely nuts to see employees at gun stores do it as well. They have like 200 different models on display and when they start field stripping one, it never field strips like they say it will. :rolleyes:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I happen to be taking criminal justice classes and I can tell you this goes far beyond the boundaries of that the police officer should have done. I would definitely take legal action.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    No intention to get a rise out of you, and no offense intended in re: your OP. My point, as I said to someone else in a PM, was only that I hate seeing these threads turn into the inevitable LEO bashes they do.

I do agree that this officer needs to be accountable for his actions that day and that someone (preferably him, but it will probably be his department) needs to compensate the actual loss/damage caused by his actions.

I'd also like to see a department policy (or better, a statewide educational initiative) that field stripping and emptying mags is unnecessary and can be costly to one's department.

Blessings,
    Bill

Interesting to note that their web site:

Handgun Permits

States: "Personal Protection Permit, also known as the unlimited permit - A Personal Protection Permit provides that the holder may carry the handgun anytime, anywhere in the State of Indiana (unless restricted by proprietary rules) in plain sight or concealed."

:dunno:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    "Field stripped and mags unloaded..." WTH??? Do they bring it back to you in a plastic bag? Seems mighty dangerous to me as a field-stripped weapon, mags and loose ammo would take two hands to carry. Maybe I've got the wrong visualization.

"There is nothing illegal on me or in my car, officer."

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Without a doubt if the LEO damaged the firearm it is his responsibility to repair or replace it. I would say he is responsible personally, and since he was in uniform at the time, ultimately it becomes the responsibility of the department he represents. As this unfolds you will find out rather or not the officer in question is a man of honor in rather or not he takes responsibility for his actions. If he refuses to take that responsibility this could turn into a real pain in the azz. You would have to prove he caused the damage. If he lies and says it was already like that it will be his word against your sons. In my experience the word against word scenario the ball usually falls in the LEO's court.

Also IMHO there is no reason whatsoever for the LEO to dissemble or even handle your firearm. Seeing your LTCH is all that is required. Just because he is a LEO does not mean he is fluent in the procedures for field stripping every handgun on the market, not to mention that loading and unloading/field stripping a firearm in the front seat of a car, is not only dangerous but irresponsible. Outside of an emergency or combat situation these functions should only be preformed on a flat solid surface with firm footing where your not jostling parts and ammo around in your lap. Just my :twocents:...That and a buck fifty will get ya a cup of coffee... Good luck and I hope this comes to a amiable and honorable resolution...

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the replies and I dodnt want this be become a LEO bashing thread ! Leos are just normal people some good some bad . But if I were to handle some one elses firearm and mess it up I would pay to have it fixed ! Why well because its the right thing to do . So if he dosent own up to it then IMO hes a bad LEO plain and simple !

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Just because he is a LEO does not mean he is fluent in the procedures for field stripping every handgun on the market, not to mention that loading and unloading/field stripping a firearm in the front seat of a car, is not only dangerous but irresponsible.

I concur 100%. I firmly believe in the "never arm yourself with a weapon that you are not qualified to use" rule. This can go for handling any weapon that a person is not familiar with. I truly believe that handling a weapon that a person is not familiar with is borderline negligence and may cause a ND :twocents:

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Zero LEO bashing here. They've got a hard job. Unless I do something really stupid, like touch a 480V 3-phase line (could happen,) then I know I'm coming home at the end of the day.

Still, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It don't feel particularly safe with a LEO -who is potentially holding a flashlight, standing on the side of the road, one eye on me - handling my firearm, say a cocked-and-locked 1911, that he may be unfamiliar with the model and is darned sure unfamiliar with this particular example, all on the side of the road.

Double edged sword, for sure. I've friends who are LEO whom I would think of as firearms experts. (Ex Charleston, SC LEO Detective, as an example.) I've known others whom only fire a handgun during a scheduled qualification and didn't seem to practice safe practices handling a firearm.

I was always taught to NEVER hand someone else a loaded firearm. Me sitting, the other standing, handing them a loaded, unfamiliar firearm when they are already distracted and on edge - I'm as nervous as a long-tailed cat at a rocking chair convention.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    does a LEO even have the right to inspect your firearm? after providing your permit for inspection, isnt that it? wouldnt him taking the weapon in any way, shape or form constitute illegal search and seizure unless you voluntarily surrendered it?

i'm no lawyer, just thinking aloud.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I can't think of how the slide was scratch unless the slide was dropped. Did you son watch the officer throught his rearview mirror to see if the officer did any movements like to pick up something?

I would for sure drop by the Sheriffs office to show the Sheriff the pistol and tell him your son's story in person.

MO

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    does a LEO even have the right to inspect your firearm? after providing your permit for inspection, isnt that it? wouldnt him taking the weapon in any way, shape or form constitute illegal search and seizure unless you voluntarily surrendered it?

Do they have an actual right to do it? Not a f***ing chance in Hell.

Can they do that (and a lot of other things they choose to do) with full approval from the courts and significant portion of society at large? Hell yes.

This gives me another idea. How about carrying an extra gun (regardless of how many you already carry) just for the purposes of surrending to police officers who ask invasive questions and who feel the need to take your gun? It could be something cheap that won't matter if it gets damaged, and unloaded (perhaps disabled) so it can't be negligently discharged. That will allow the cop to feel better about himself and it won't be any significant problem for the driver.

Win-win.

Top Bottom