• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    March 17, 2009
    Larrey Anderson
    [FONT=times new roman,times]You thought the global warming theories could not get any sillier? Think again. (Or don’t think -- because the theory you are about to hear described is not rational. And don’t eat a full meal before reading the rest of this blog -- because you may not be able to keep your food down.)

The AP has reported (with a straight face) that the ocean level in Boston and New York could rise up to 8 inches higher by the end of the century than the oceans in most of the rest of the world.

That’s right. Some of the true global warming believers (who also claim to be scientists) are claiming as much as a 3-foot raise in the depth of the oceans worldwide by the year 2100. And the silliest of the silly scientists are adding an extra 8 inches of depth for Boston and New York. (So that’s 3’ higher oceans in Miami in just 80 years and 3’ 8” higher oceans in Boston and New York.)

I know. Those readers with a modicum of common sense are right now saying to themselves, “Except for the movement of the tides, oceans can’t be higher in one place than another. If the water level rises in the oceans, it rises everywhere the same.” Well, thank God common sense is not in charge of predicting global warming!

Common sense has no place in this new "science." Not if you believe in global warming and not if you have a computer model that tells you that the beaches in Boston will be 8 more inches under water than the beaches in Tallahassee.

I would try to explain the logic of this new theory to you. But there isn’t any logic. You can read it for yourself. And laugh, or cry, or pull your hair out at such idiocy, or if you are a true believer … you can go ahead and believe.

As far as I can tell there is more empirical evidence for the existence of God than there is for this extra eight inches of Man Made Global Warming.
    [/FONT]
    American Thinker Blog: Some Oceans Are More Equal Than Others

:dunno: WTF?

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    i saw this and had a good laugh myself. the problem is, people will believe it. I am still waiting for an actual study that has true scientific merit that conclusively shows co2 to be an actual greenhouse gas. I just have a real hard time accepting it as a ghg if there are ghg's that are 17000-50000x more potent than co2 is claimed to be.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    [FONT=times new roman,times]I know. Those readers with a modicum of common sense are right now saying to themselves, “Except for the movement of the tides, oceans can’t be higher in one place than another. If the water level rises in the oceans, it rises everywhere the same.” Well, thank God common sense is not in charge of predicting global warming![/FONT]

Well, minor nit, but since flow from one location to another does not happen instantly, you do get slight differences in surface height. As just one example, in a river running north to south, the water level on the west bank will be slightly higher (coriolis). The other main example is wherever water is flowing into the ocean from rivers, icecap melt, etc., you'll get a tiny gradient.

Mind you, this doesn't justify the claims made in the article. I'm not sure whether the 8 inches figure between one location and another is viable (8 inches over several thousand miles is an awfully small gradient, but then, you would need an awfully large volume of water to create sufficient flow for even that small a gradient. Look at rivers with a similar gradient to see what kind of flow rates would be involved). However, the particular locations mentioned have nothing about them to create that kind of gradient and while you'd have a small gradient around New York because of the Hudson (although I would be highly skeptical, to say the least, of any claims of 8 inches), there's nothing about "global warming," even if the so-called science held up, that would cause an increase of that magnitude.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here's what is happening: the east coast thinks it is the center of the earth and thus has more gravity than the rest of us. It pulls more than it's fair share of water there. Kind of like a permanent high tide.

Oh, and the sun rises and sets there, too.

Top Bottom