• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    What are peoples opinions of the upcoming solar maximum...I probably need to research it, but from what I've heard it will have a tremendous impact on our electronics and communications. They tell stories of telegraph cables melting at the turn of the century and more recently, the Quebec power grid going down in the '90's. Just curious if any one had insight or eh, an opinion?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    BE PREPARED!.... I have read a bit on this and it could cause problems for up to 6mts. We might have to live a bit difrently for a while. I already grow food and keep 2 bottles of water that i swap every month and use in my water cooler. I should be ready or the long hauls by then.

But very little could happen and in this case you will have extra water food and ammo at you disposal..... we can all have a cook out and range day...lol

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ah, ok. Not sure what you're referring to. Solar activity in general is down. The earth is closest to the sun during the winter, though, maybe that's what you're referring to. It's the tilt of the earth that causes the seasons, not our distance from the sun (hence why the weather at the equator is consistent year round).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ah, ok. Not sure what you're referring to. Solar activity in general is down. The earth is closest to the sun during the winter, though, maybe that's what you're referring to. It's the tilt of the earth that causes the seasons, not our distance from the sun (hence why the weather at the equator is consistent year round).

He was referring to the 11-year cycle of solar activity as denoted by sun spots.

Every 11 years, roughly, are the peaks of the cycle.

"They" are predicting that 2012 will be the most "active" sunspot activity since 1958 or something like that.

As if they can tell...

Can't even tell us how much snow we're gonna get.

-J-

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    They" are predicting that 2012 will be the most "active" sunspot activity since 1958 or something like that.

And we all remember what happened in 1958, right?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The price of 1st class US postage is raised to 4¢ from 3¢ where it had been for 26 years. Hard to believe - only a penny in 26 years!
    31.3% of all domestic passenger travel was by railroad; 27.7% by bus; and 38% by air.
    Sweet n' Low is introduced as an artificial Sweetener, using saccharin instead of sugar. Sweet'N Low received U.S. trademark patent no. 1,000,000.
    Vice President Richard Nixon is shoved, stoned, booed & spat upon by protesters in Peru as he makes a goodwill tour of South and Latin American.
    Japan’s new Datsun (Model 211) cars begin shipping to the U.S. but only 52 will sell. An especially meager number since in 1958 America will import 430,808 passenger cars.
    In the worst recession since World War II, nearly 5.5 million people are out of work.
    The Chevrolet Impala is introduced!
    Cocoa Krispies breakfast food is introduced by the Kellogg Company; it's 45.9% sugar.
    Cocoa Puffs is introduced by General Mills; it contains 43% sugar.
    American will import 430,808 passenger cars.
    There are 36,981 motor vehicle related deaths. While in the air, there were 8 accidents resulting in 125 fatalities.
    Unemployment is 6.8%
    U.S. GNP (Gross National Product) is $468.3 billion

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I didn't think anyone would have an opinion, this forum is usually pretty tight lipped ;-)...I can't help it I work at nights and "Coast to Coast indoctrinates me...

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do know that during times of Heavy sun spot activity it wreaks havoc on the old 800 MHz radios the city used to use. We shall see how the 900s work. Maybe in 1958 there was not the technology that we have now and we will see new things happen. Then again I am still waiting on the Y2K bug to crash my computer.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What are peoples opinions of the upcoming solar maximum...I probably need to research it, but from what I've heard it will have a tremendous impact on our electronics and communications. They tell stories of telegraph cables melting at the turn of the century and more recently, the Quebec power grid going down in the '90's. Just curious if any one had insight or eh, an opinion?

Were you around a few years ago when the world ended with this thing they called "Y2K"?

Who is it exactly who benefits most when the sheep are in a panic over the next big emergency? Who get's rich from global warming? Y2K? Solar flares? OHG! Who will save us? Who will tell us what we need to do?

Politicians to the rescue!
    Scientists to back them up!
    Scientist and politicians to the rescue!
    We will tell ya'll what to do!

Gimme money.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, there's no doubt that sunspot activity interferes with SOME forms of electromagnetic communication. And, of course, as we all know, there is currently a HUGE amount of communication that is done this way.

Will it all be affected? Probably. Will we be able to notice? Maybe. Just stands to reason that some will be more affected than another.

With all of the R&D that goes into new technology these days, and especially since a goodly portion of OUR technology was developed for, by, and/or with the Military and NASA in mind, I like to think that they've worked the kinks of solar interference out.

-J-

Top Bottom