• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks for the answers. If I get up early before work and drive across town to get fingerprinted and they ask for my social security card I will be pissed!

Not at you guys but the bastard who stole my wallet. (Please no lectures on keeping your social security card in your wallet, I already know!)

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I work in the financial industry & would highly recommend contacting all 3 credit bureaus & at the very minimum putting a fraud alert on them with directions for them to contact you (give some contact #'s) prior to granting any credit. Or you could just put a total freeze on your bureau, where nothing shows up, unless you give them a PIN # that unlocks it......

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Nope. In case you didn't know, your social security card isn't a form of identification.

Technically true, but you must present it to a new employer before they can put you on payroll...why? To verify your identification and establish your lawful employment status.

Social Security Card Eligibility Requirements: Any person seeking employment in the United States needs a Social Security number and a Social Security Card

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/social-security-card.html

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I work in the financial industry & would highly recommend contacting all 3 credit bureaus & at the very minimum putting a fraud alert on them with directions for them to contact you (give some contact #'s) prior to granting any credit. Or you could just put a total freeze on your bureau, where nothing shows up, unless you give them a PIN # that unlocks it......

I second that motion.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

^^This^^

I second that motion.

TK

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I lost my Social Security card about twenty years ago. I haven't been asked for it since, and I have changed jobs several times. Most of the employers were good about asking for the required proof of eligibility to work (the "one from this column" and "one from that column" form), but not once has anyone even said "Social Security" and "card" to me in the same sentence.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I agree with PTGB above; haven't used my SS card in over 35 years. While I think I know where it is, no one has ever asked for it, as long as I knew the number (but, since it was also my service number, I'll never forget it). -- Greg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I lost my Social Security card about twenty years ago. I haven't been asked for it since, and I have changed jobs several times. Most of the employers were good about asking for the required proof of eligibility to work (the "one from this column" and "one from that column" form), but not once has anyone even said "Social Security" and "card" to me in the same sentence.

:+1:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    fyi on how to get a replacement SS card.

Replacing a lost Social Security card..

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Where to shoot in NWI (ie Ranges)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Technically true, but you must present it to a new employer before they can put you on payroll...why? To verify your identification and establish your lawful employment status.

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/social-security-card.html

Actually, they can't legally ask you for any particular document. Just one from list A or one from list B and one from list C.

One of the little things most people don't know about hiring illegals is that according to the law you must accept any form of documentation from INS (or whatever it is now) that "looks official." This vague term is there because there are many, many types of cards issued by that agency that are legit. There are fines for discriminating against people who present official documentation.

I often read where people say, "C,mon, you KNOW they're illegal." May be true, but if they present official looking documentation, you have no recourse. Immigration is NO help whatsoever in such a situation.

I learned about this when I got caught up in a situation with a client company. They refused to accept the guy's documentation, which we believed "looked official" enough. Immigration made us come down and stand in line all day, but they would only verify verbally, not in writing, and refused to call my client. We were caught between a rock and a hard place, facing fines either way.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom