So, Why do you carry a gun?... And your response...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Because I am responsible for the lives of my wife and daughters and I take that responsibility very seriously. Why don't you carry? Are your families lives meaningless to you?

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I liked this response on an episode of Have Gun Will Travel that was on the other day.

Paladin: You were supposed to push when I lifted!
    Melissa Griffin: I'm sorry. But I have to talk to you.
    Paladin: Talk? Talk?
    Melissa Griffin: About that. (looks at his gun)
    Paladin: Well, what about it?
    Melissa Griffin: I'm against it.
    Paladin: So am I.
    Melissa Griffin: I'm serious!
    Paladin: So am I.
    Melissa Griffin: You seem like a gentleman. Why would you have to carry a gun?
    Paladin: Because in the world around us, there are a number of men who are not gentlemen.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I read a book once. Seriously, and it was not about guns but elephants. In the last chapter the Author talked about a young Englishwoman by the name of Mary Kingsley (I think). She was a young Victorian Age woman of status and while in her early twenties she decided to follow in the footsteps of Stanley, Burton, Livingstone and others and explore Africa.

It was common knowledge that when she did her exploration that she had "A large Colt's revolver strapped to the inside of her thigh with a slit in her skirt to allow her access to her Colt" The story is told that some years later in London she was attending a party with many lords and Ladies in attendence and the subject of her Colt came up and one of the men at the party queried her about the Colt.

"Mary. I heard that in your younger days in Africa you had a revolver strapped to your thigh. Is that true?"

Mary took her right hand and tapped the inside of her thigh and said, "Oh yes, and I still do."

The man gasped in amazement and said, "You still do? My heavens. Do you think you will ever actually need that thing?"

Mary chuckled and said "Oh my no. I have never had to use it and I doubt I ever will need it...But...If I ever did need it, I would need it worse than anything I would ever need in my life. So here is where it stays."

That is the best response I have ever heard tell of.

Here is a link to a fascinating young womans story.

Mary Kingsley - Women in European History

Mary Kingsley : Biography

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I read a book once. Seriously, and it was not about guns but elephants.

Mary Kingsley : Biography

What you got to read a book? That is such a privilege. And where on earth were you able to find one.. those were banned after 2052 as not enviromently friendly.. to ise tablet devices instead.. Who on earth allowed such a thing?

I really wish i knew how to read and write.. i just know how to type..

Actually that is a neat story..

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I have only gotten this a question from strangers a hand full of time. Most poeple either don't notice or I dress or carry myself in a way that if it is seen there is not really a concern. Anways, its goes something like this:

Stranger: Excuse me, I was wondering why you carry a gun?
    Me: For YOUR protection. (I make sure to emphasize the word your)
    Stranger: Normally pauses and tries to figure out what I mean and does not know what to say. I wait a few seconds after the confused look and follow up
    Me: I hope that you decide to carry one too eventually so you can protect me and your loved ones if we are ever in need.

At this point it goes two ways: They walk away at least open to thinking about it or they all ready have and more or less are looking for advice on how to go about getting a LTCH, Carry Advice, and one lady once expressed she was concerned people would think less of her for carrying a "weapon."

I like this approach because it is initially confusing and the confusion seems to result in logical thought rather than triggering emotional "guns are bad" response. Once you see the wheels going in the brain it is nice to phrase things in a hopeful passive positive nature instead of just saying "You SHOULD carry too" as this raises their guard became you are telling them to do something and then triggers their emotional response.

This is just my personal experience and the approach that works for me.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Reason 1 - Self-defense and defense of my loved ones - or other innocent person who I see in trouble.

Reason 2 - It's time to stand up for our heritage as Americans before we lose it!

Some additional detail on Reason 1 - I don't want to spend 2 weeks in the hospital again recovering from broken nose, orbit (cheek bone) and severed facial nerves inflicted by sap gloves and chains by some drunk outlaw bikers who were pissed at me because I missed taking one of their bikes out with my car by about 2 inches when they ran a red light in front of me. That was in May, 1985. The bikers followed my car as I drove to a buddy's house. Didn't think they would actually assault me, but they did. One of them came up from behind me as I was walking from the car to the house. I saw his shadow in the streetlight and turned to confront him, he was already swinging the chain at the back of my head, I got it in the face. I dropped to my knees from the shock as he punching me in the face with sap gloves, all I could do was mutter f -u after every punch. Lucky for me my best friend heard the racket outside his front door. He came out with his dad's 45 auto and put it to the head of the guy now kneeling over me as I was slipping out of consiousness. I remember the guy jumping off me with his hands up as my buddy backed him away. The guy kept saying, "take it easy man, relax". My buddy said, "I am very relaxed, just get the f out of here". If not for my friend and his dad's Colt, they would have killed me, I would have not been here today. Things would have turned out much differently that night if I was armed. I got a permit to carry as soon as I got out of the hospital.

Since then have never drawn in self-defense, but have shown it once as a deterrent in the same neighborhood only 1 block away.

Believe it or not I let my permit expire when I moved out of there in 1999. I re-applied in 2009 after I got married. My friend from the above story was in my wedding party. Intend to carry for the rest of my days.

Great Response... thanks... glad you have the opportunity to carry...
    I also find it amazing how mr. Tough Guy, Biker Bully or other A** suddenly wants the person to "take it easy" when THEY could be on the receiving end... Thanks for that story... and glad you were ok

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I have only gotten this a question from strangers a hand full of time. Most poeple either don't notice or I dress or carry myself in a way that if it is seen there is not really a concern. Anways, its goes something like this:

Stranger: Excuse me, I was wondering why you carry a gun?
    Me: For YOUR protection. (I make sure to emphasize the word your)
    Stranger: Normally pauses and tries to figure out what I mean and does not know what to say. I wait a few seconds after the confused look and follow up
    Me: I hope that you decide to carry one too eventually so you can protect me and your loved ones if we are ever in need.

At this point it goes two ways: They walk away at least open to thinking about it or they all ready have and more or less are looking for advice on how to go about getting a LTCH, Carry Advice, and one lady once expressed she was concerned people would think less of her for carrying a "weapon."

I like this approach because it is initially confusing and the confusion seems to result in logical thought rather than triggering emotional "guns are bad" response. Once you see the wheels going in the brain it is nice to phrase things in a hopeful passive positive nature instead of just saying "You SHOULD carry too" as this raises their guard became you are telling them to do something and then triggers their emotional response.

This is just my personal experience and the approach that works for me.

Great response.... for YOUR Safety... that does immediately reframe it for the other person asking... I will definitely keep this in mind for the future...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Great Response... thanks... glad you have the opportunity to carry...
    I also find it amazing how mr. Tough Guy, Biker Bully or other A** suddenly wants the person to "take it easy" when THEY could be on the receiving end... Thanks for that story... and glad you were ok

That is how bullies work. They assume they are the baddest thing on the block, until it is proved that they are not.

Wolves don't expect the sheep to be armed. That is why carrying a firearm works so well. Be it 5 on 1 or 300 pound beast against a 90 pound woman. It is an equalizer.

The odd thing is that having the responsibility of a gun strapped to you, changes your demeanor. In most cases, it makes you carry yourself in a way that says you are not a victim. Perps can sense that and will take lesser targets.

There are also other positives to carrying. I used to work in Bloomington and would have to commute down to Louisville area. On one trip, it was raining bad and a car was broken down on 37. It was really late and very few cars were out. An old woman was out in the rain near the car.

Not two weeks before I read a story about a group that had been staging break downs in low visibility weather, with someone who looked harmless, and people ambushing the do gooder and getting a free car among other things.

This really looked like a setup, as the woman was just sitting there getting soaking wet and doing nothing. I would not have stopped had I not been carrying. I pulled a little way past her car and used a flashlight to check out areas around the car as I walked back the 40 feet.

There was no ambush. There was a worn out English teacher, a few years before retirement, crying in the rain due to frustration. She could not break the lug nuts free. She couldn't work the jack. She had no cell phone (they were rarer back then). No one had stopped for the last 20 minutes.

I told her to get in her car and warm up. Had the tire changed in 10 minutes and had her on her way. If she were my mom, I would hope someone else would do the same thing.

"An armed society is a polite society" is more than just assured destruction deterrent. It is allowing you to do the right thing, because you know you can still get out of a situation if it turns out to not be what it seems.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been asked only a couple of times. I answer "to shoot people". You can almost hear the mental gears clashing and grinding. It doesn't fit the weltanshauung that's been programmed into them, but frankly, that's why I have it. If they deserve further explanation, they'll get it.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I've been asked only a couple of times. I answer "to shoot people". You can almost hear the mental gears clashing and grinding. It doesn't fit the weltanshauung that's been programmed into them, but frankly, that's why I have it. If they deserve further explanation, they'll get it.

Somehow, I dont think that one will work with one of my clients who are also my livelihood, however It is a great one for the stranger in the convenience store who just is being nosy.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I carry a gun so I can go places by myself that I wouldn't go alone if I weren't armed. For me it's the bike trails out in the country.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I carry a gun so I can go places by myself that I wouldn't go alone if I weren't armed. For me it's the bike trails out in the country.

Since carrying, I have noticed a few women who carry and frankly (to quote Paris and don't take this the wrong way) "that's hot!!" a woman who carries to me radiates confidence, self assurance, independence and a "don't screw around with me, I am your EQUAL, not your victim" attitude.

I would like to get Mrs Sheepdog to carry more often. After 30+ years it would do wonders for our love life!!!:rockwoot::rockwoot::)

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    My daughter (who is 18 now) basically asked me this very question when she learned that we had guns. My immediate (and very trite) response was 'because I can'. Afterwards, I felt pretty bad and laid out a much better explanation. I expanded on 'because I can' and included 'because I believe that if we don't exercise our rights, eventually they will be taken away'. Another reason given was that I believe it's my responsibility to protect my family to the best of my ability. I gave a couple of other reasons as well, but the gist comes down to two points that have been stated here:

1) because I can
    2) because I run security for a very important family (i might actually snag this one and use it the next time someone asks, which is pretty rare).

Thanks all for threads like this, which prompt us all to actually think about these things. :)

Top Bottom