So, Why do you carry a gun?... And your response...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Who was it that commented "I run security for a very important family."? Referring to his own, of course. I thought that was a great response!

I'm going to combine that with another great response from this thread as my stock answer: "Because I run security for a very important family - mine. Yours too - no charge."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because I am responsible for the lives of my wife and daughters and I take that responsibility very seriously. Why don't you carry? Are your families lives meaningless to you?

So far, I like Hammerhead and Mr Habib"s best.

Although I usually start with the question, "why don't you? Don't you care about your families safety?"

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I usually ask people that inquire if they watch the news.
    Used to live by South Bend...seemed everyday you hear that someone was shot, sometimes random innocent people....sometimes bar fights.
    Now i live in what i suppose they call the "Chicago land Area"....do you hear the news?
    Shootings like crazy....i dont want to be a victim and dont want to see innocent people suffer either.

People dont seem to understand until someone they know falls victim.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    It is awesome to read some of these responses, since I've been on the fence as to whether or not I want to get my carry license.

I was on the fence myself. My wife was very 'anti gun in the house' because we have 5 kids at home.. The night after an attempted break in, she allowed me to purchase a gun for home defense but it had to stay in the safe. I argued and argued w/ her about the need to carry and for her to access it etc.. this was back in feb/march.

Now, I have 2 guns and carry one of them on my person around the house/yard at all times. it sits on my nightstand at bedtime. we have both filled out our apps for LTCH and went the L1 route and we're currently putting a little dough back for her to get her first gun.

Get the LTCH and be prepared for the worst. You can 'ease into' carrying like I have.

I'm still easing into carrying one in the tube at home. Sure don't want my kids injured. (it's a mental barrier I'm overcoming).

/off topic

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Why do I carry?

I own three burial plots at the local cemetery. That's odd for someone who is not even 30 years old. One is for myself, and one if for my wife. Hopefully we won't need them for many decades. The third is where my son rests, who died of sickness beyond my control in 2009. He was with us for ten months, and spent the entire time in the NICU at St. Vincent's hospital in Indianapolis. We were there with him when he died, and held him as he took his last breath.

I have no plans to fill the other two plots any time soon. Nor do I ever want to buy a fourth plot for my four month old daughter. While I had no way to prevent my son's death, there are things that I can do to safeguard my family. If I didn't, if I was negligent in my role as protector, if I had to fill another one of those plots knowing that I might have been able to prevent it if only I had made another decision, how could I live with myself?

This is why I carry.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Why do I carry?

I own three burial plots at the local cemetery. That's odd for someone who is not even 30 years old. One is for myself, and one if for my wife. Hopefully we won't need them for many decades. The third is where my son rests, who died of sickness beyond my control in 2009. He was with us for ten months, and spent the entire time in the NICU at St. Vincent's hospital in Indianapolis. We were there with him when he died, and held him as he took his last breath.

I have no plans to fill the other two plots any time soon. Nor do I ever want to buy a fourth plot for my four month old daughter. While I had no way to prevent my son's death, there are things that I can do to safeguard my family. If I didn't, if I was negligent in my role as protector, if I had to fill another one of those plots knowing that I might have been able to prevent it if only I had made another decision, how could I live with myself?

This is why I carry.

(very sorry for your loss)..

I read this and teared up instantly. :(

I have 5 kids at home (6 total) and if I had to bury one of them, I don't know how I'd ever make it.. This had to have been one of the hardest things a parent has had to endure.

This is also the reason I am armed. (waiting on LTCH at the present), however I do carry at home for now..

We are supposed to protect our young and loved ones. It's our God given right, it is our natural born instinct.

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    I will quote an author talking about his family. "when we are together, I carry to protect them. When I am alone, I carry so I may return to them.Then there is this one, Police are there to investigate a crime they are very rarely there to prevent one. (they can't be everywhere). If they are going to draw a chalk line, it is going to be around the other guy.

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    A few different responces depending on who I'm dealing with... One, to protect myself & the 2A. Two, It's something I'd rather have and not need, then to need and not have. Or, because it gives me the chance to not only protect myself and my family but to educate on the 2A..

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Because bad guys don't shoot themselves in my & my loved ones defense. Because I can. Because I served this country to be able to do so.

.... Almost forgot, because I am a lead slinging, cowboy wanna be, billy bad ass that just wants to intimidate people.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I used to use "Because carrying a cop would strain my back." but now take a different route, especially if I have my daughter with me...

"I do not have the strength to beat a man to death that is messing with my daughter, but I sure as hell can and will shoot him."

Vallman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    The world turning upsidedown

These days people have been doing some crazy things. I personally feel things are only getting worse and my family should be protected.

Top Bottom