• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I hear all this talk about background check. What in your "background" do they see is a reason to take away your natural rights?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    No, it was timed prefectly for their purpose. Part of the plan to make an appearance of something from nothing. The letter says nothing that isn't readily known and already in practice, right?

How often does ATF put out notifications?
    I get the FFL emails once every couple of months, they send out enforcement emails about once or week or so. Oh and need not be an FFL to get them, just sign up on their website. And yes, it's all stuff most of us have already known and most already do and was just a feel good bullet point, but still this is the federal government we're talking about, I thought coordinating such an email would require at least 3 months worth of effort.

All that is significant that came out of today was exactly what we need to be writing our reps to do something about stopping has now been clearly defined, and executive order is going to make it so that fewer people will want to seek mental health care from medical professionals.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hear all this talk about background check. What in your "background" do they see is a reason to take away your natural rights?

Mental defectives, felon, etc, the same stuff that has always prevented ownership. Believe it or not, much of this stuff isn't shared univesally between jurisdictions.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    I guess if they make it happen then we will all just follow the law and not sell FTF anymore.

Not that it's going to be implemented, but if it does, FTF transactions will take place at your local FFL's shop where a background check will be done for a price (not a bad thing IMHO, you have to do it for a new Retail firearm sales, why not FTF sales). I'd bet Gun shows will make sure an FFL holder is available to do background checks for FTF Gun show sales, again for a price (currently averaging $20-25 per transaction in my county, so they will be making $80-100/hr. during peak sales. Not bad income for some lucky FFL holder to push papers and make a few phone calls).

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Just like he couldn't create or modify existing laws with an EO, he can't do that either. Relax and stop borrowing trouble.

How many posts on this forum about the EO banning all weapons or magazines, and then it doesn't happen, but instead of just admitting it we have to look for the most nefarious possible outcome based on...what?

He's not acting like a dictator. He's stayed within his authority as the head of the Executive Branch. He's asking for additional action from Congress, which almost certainly won't happen thanks to friendly Democrats and a Republican majority in the house.

Seriously guys, dial it back a bit. Repeat after me: The sky is not falling. I do not live in a dictatorship or evil empire. Got it? Good, not followup by continuing to contact your Congress critters with calm, rational, and intelligent communications about your opposition to the President's proposals for Congress.

But, but, but ...
    Then we wouldn't have as many new members on INGO. And our LGS wouldn't be rollingin the dough.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I guess if they make it happen then we will all just follow the law and not sell FTF anymore.

Noooooooooooo

Not that it's going to be implemented, but if it does, FTF transactions will take place at your local FFL's shop where a background check will be done for a price (not a bad thing IMHO, you have to do it for a new Retail firearm sales, why not FTF sales). I'd bet Gun shows will make sure an FFL holder is available to do background checks for FTF Gun show sales, again for a price (currently averaging $20-25 per transaction in my county, so they will be making $80-100/hr. during peak sales. Not bad income for some lucky FFL holder to push papers and make a few phone calls).

NO no no :nono:
    This is registration. We ALL know why they would like to have registration. So they have a list for CONFISCATION. While it sounds innocent, it is NOT.

Our state law covers the bases. It is against the law to sell to felons or folks from out of state. We need NO MORE laws.

ddb40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Brazil
    The 2nd Amendment is a restraint upon the Government. It forces the Government to leave in the hands of the populace the current (or nearly so) weaponry carried by the common foot soldier; (his rifle / his handgun) for the purpose of repelling tyranny foreign or domestic.

The First Step of the final Phase of over throwing any country is to ensure that the assaulting force meets little or no armed resistance. Eliminating the armed resistance is greatly enhanced if those arms are documented as to where & what they are, plus who has them. The non existent Gun Show Loop Hole (or it's new name UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECK) is a government registration scheme to create that centralized database. Your guns would be safe for NOW, but what about 10, 20, 50, or 100 years from now. Your grand children will face a dictatorial Nanny State that confiscates your (their) guns based on that nice list of ALL THE GUNS IN THE NATION. Only Fools and Traitors would support such a CLEAR attack on the Constitution.

If your interested look at the Essays on my website.....proteq.us

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    The price of cosmetic military style weapons and hi/cap mags just doubled.

then don't buy them? Listening to people flame those complaining about the high price of ammo, or ARs, or pmags, etc.. It's all "that's capitalism" if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. Simple. If buying that "tactical" rifle means that much to you, then it's worth paying what it costs to get it. Not trying to be an *********, but thems the breaks..

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The issue here is surely the encirclement of the rights... They won't just pull the rug out, like people assume... They slowly entangle it, slowly tighten the grip, and eventually they close the gap... And choke you to death, before you even knew it...

I support no list with my name on it. I support no engagements on our rights. Why would I ever consider just a little less rights? Cause if we give them an inch.... they will always take a mile.

Background checks don't work to improve the safety or security of anyone except for the ones who hold those lists.

It took me six days to buy a pump action shotgun through a FFL... AND I HAVE NO CRIMINAL ANYTHING! When I recall people walking out with them at Walmart 15 years ago. Seems like a big adjustment to me. NOw I'm supposed to be happy that all they want are better background checks?!

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    then don't buy them? Listening to people flame those complaining about the high price of ammo, or ARs, or pmags, etc.. It's all "that's capitalism" if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. Simple. If buying that "tactical" rifle means that much to you, then it's worth paying what it costs to get it. Not trying to be an *********, but thems the breaks..

It's Inflation and availability.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

There is plenty of room in the above to expand upon as well as the start of a database on who currently possesses existing firearms.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I wonder if all this is part of a larger game?

King Obama realized he could not stretch EO's (or EA's) to do a ban on rifles that happen to look like military rifles, so he proposes relatively meaningless EA's as well as legislation that he knows will not get through Congress.

He know this, and new legislation is not the ultimate goal.

At some point in the next 4 years, one (or more) Justices are likely to retire from the Supreme Court. Now he and his allies in the Senate will push hard for an anti-gun rights replacement, and he'll justify it by pointing at the ineffectiveness of his own efforts and the lack of action by Republicans in the House. Given the number of liberal Dems and RINOs in the Senate, he has a good chance of getting someone like that confirmed -- especially if there is another tragedy like Sandy Hook in the meantime.

Have I earned a roll of extra-thick tin foil?

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The EOs, as signed in their entirety, are still yet to be posted.

Because they're Executive Actions, not EO's. EA's don't have the force of law; EO's on the other hand do. EA's are like your boss saying, "Work on project A, and put project B on the back burner for now." A president probably takes dozens, if not hundreds, of EA's every day.

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's why yesterday was so surprisingly good for us: he didn't even take one EO to restrict firearms. He could have very easily, and non-controversially (legally speaking, anyway) prohibited the importation of ammunition or guns. I really expected this to be the minimum that he was going to do, in addition to the feel good stuff that everyone knew that he would, and did, do.

More controversially, he could have reclassified 12ga shtoguns as destructive devices by declaring that they had no "sporting purpose." If he wanted to go full in on gun grabbing, he would have classfied all semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines or the ability to accept clips of greater than, say, seven rounds capacity to also be destructive devices. Then we would have ATF form 4's, tax stamps, and all the rest for nearly any gun.

He didn't do any of these things. I don't know what behind the scenes deals, if any, have been struck, but it seems to me that it is pretty clear that the president isn't getting hardly anything of what he wants on this issue. And I think it shows that he knows that had he done anything of substance himself that he would have had a political firestorm on his hands.

My thoughts: the President would personally really like to change the gun culture of this country, and move us in the direction of, at least, Canada. But he knows that if he actually puts his full weight behind this for an extended period it will consume his second term, and not much would really change anyway. He has other things that he wants to do, he doesn't want to bet the entire farm on this one issue. This is an issue that rural Democrats know is a losing one for them, so I believe that the brakes are being applied by Reid and other Democrats. They don't want to commit political suicide for the urban, coastal Democrats.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Honestly, how do you figure that? :dunno:
    Last week I was offered 2500 for a bushmasted,everyone was just speculating what was coming down the pipe. I thought I heard him say he was pushing for a band.
    No ban 800.00
    Theres a shooting 2500.00
    Push for a ban who knows what these idiots will pay. Therefore I said 4000.00
    I dont own one so dont worry I wont try to gouge ya.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Congress isn't going to pass anything.

They are already playing political games to place blame of inaction on the other house.

The House of Reps said they won't introduce anything, but will seriously consider anything the Senate sends them. They say that because they know the Senate can't pass anything. They essentially put their hand on the table and called out the Senate.

There are enough Senate seats up in 14 in pro-gun areas that they aren't going to risk voting on something doomed in the HoR (even though they swear otherwise).

The POTUS did his bit to look like he cares, now he can just blame Congress. The Senate will try to blame the HoR, but they already implied they would hear and vote on anything the Senate sent them. Since they never got anything it was clearly the Dem Senate's fault.

Top Bottom