So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I dont have the stuff to reload but have been to the rand to dig for bullets and melt down a few years ago. I am very curios being ww these days are a zinc kind mixture. Any melted that stuff down for target loads. Bullet weight much different than the standard ww lead?
    Zinc is a no go for casting bullets.
    It will turn your lead into slush.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I sort the zinc and steel out. The lead ones melt first and everything else floats. You have to watch to skim off the floaters quick.
    I was told about the skimming off instead of sorting before going in the pan. I seen many reports of people having the zinc weights melting on them, so need to sort to be safe. I use a cast iron dkillet and 1 of those lp fish fryer units to reclaim lead.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Loading some .38 wad cutters and .30-06 for the Garand currently. Now’s the time to get going on reloading with all my different calibers for start of spring shooting season. Can’t wait! :ar15:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Did some test rounds with 700x in 357 mag wasn't impressed out of pistol or lever action, the autocomp was a lot better but will do some more test load reloads tonight. Using multiple styles of bullets all fmj or plated.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I got 8 lbs of 700X for a song a couple years ago. I got a few different loads in 45acp and 38 Special that worked fairly well, along with a couple soft 44mag loads. I think it's big downfall in metallic reloading is it's propensity for giving powder dispensers fits. I got it to throw pretty well in my Lee Auto Drums but it took a lot of vibrating/compressing the powder to get there.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    A beautiful day to go to the range today. I finally got a chance to test my .223 handloads.

Gun: Colt LE6920 16" 1:7 twist w/Vortex PST 1-4x on Caldwell lead sled from bench
    Range: 100yds @ FCVCC in Anderson
    Bullet: Sierra Matchking HPBT 69gr
    Powder: IMR 8208 XBR
    Test loads 10 each: 22gr, 22.1gr, 22.4gr, 22.8gr 5 shots each
    Best groups with 22.1gr (upper right targets)
    Worst group: 22.4gr
    The fliers were me re-zeroing scope since I loosened the zero turret at one time and lost my spot.
    223_handloads_groups.JPG

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am just happy none of my rounds blew up my gun. although at 22.8 grains was a lightly compressed load with the base of the bullet touching powder, I couldn’t fit any more powder if I wanted to.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Starting on 400pc of 32 S&W long. Started priming the new RP brass. I need to get a Lee Auto Drum powder drop and I will be off and running.

Top Bottom