So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    A couple of weeks ago I had to load up some 243 deer loads. While checking zero before firearms season I had issues and didn't think about checking scope mounts until I was almost out of ammo. Needless to say once i got it tightened, i was good to go. This weekend I finished up loading 5.56 that I had started back in May.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A couple of weeks ago I had to load up some 243 deer loads. While checking zero before firearms season I had issues and didn't think about checking scope mounts until I was almost out of ammo. Needless to say once i got it tightened, i was good to go. This weekend I finished up loading 5.56 that I had started back in May.

Was it a relatively new scope and mount or one that worked its way loose? I've been using blue locktite on all my mount screws. That has fixed that issue. Been there done exactly what you went through.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    9 mm 124 gr RMR JHP over 3.4 gr Clay Dot, 1.115 OAL, Wolf primer
    12 cents a round doesn't seem like such a waste of time any more.

Was having trouble with the Lee Loadmaster until I discovered that the metal rod that mounted the case slider pusher was bent. Got that way sometime in the last few months when I wasn't reloading. I guess someone thrashing around in the workshop hit it pretty hard but didn't think it important enough to tell me. That caused the slider to bind and I ended up snapping the bottom rail off two of them. Gorilla glue fixed them until replacements can arrive.

Used a .308 handload to take a deer earlier in the month. So far every handload I shot at a deer (3) has killed it within a minute or so.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Was it a relatively new scope and mount or one that worked its way loose? I've been using blue locktite on all my mount screws. That has fixed that issue. Been there done exactly what you went through.
    It's the cheap scope and mounts that came with the 783. I usually use loc-tite as well but got lazy on this one. I took this rifle to Oregon and slipped crossing a river while carrying it last month. Between that and flying there and back I figured that is what caused it to go loose.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to jump on this one. If it's too much of a drift or I don't get any action, I'll start a new one.

I was wondering what others think of my thought process. I am a strange duck at times and what seems like solid thinking to me has others scratching their head, if they even understand what I'm talking about.:)

I've been working up some ladder loads for my 9 MM. They are 125gr TC Blue Bullets. I started low (wouldn't cycle the slide reliably) and worked up in 2-3 grain increments. I found that 3.5 grains of TG work fine. Of course so did 3.8. I'm going to load up some 4.0 today.

At the range when I was testing these, I also shot a few of my 124 gr Sig Sauer HP defensive rounds. Obviously they are higher power rounds than the above reloads.

Which got me thinking; I should go ahead and make my target loads at the higher loading. 9 MM is not a recoil intensive round to begin with and why not have target rounds that are at least closer to my defensive rounds in terms of felt recoil?

I understand the gamers like to load as low as they can go and still have the gun run well and in some cases make power factor. I assume this allows them to get follow up shots faster and hence lower stage times. I don't care about that. If I ever do any competitions, it will be to make me better and have some commardery. Not to see how high up the leaderboard I can get.

Interested in hearing your input, theories, and advice.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to jump on this one. If it's too much of a drift or I don't get any action, I'll start a new one.

I was wondering what others think of my thought process. I am a strange duck at times and what seems like solid thinking to me has others scratching their head, if they even understand what I'm talking about.:)

I've been working up some ladder loads for my 9 MM. They are 125gr TC Blue Bullets. I started low (wouldn't cycle the slide reliably) and worked up in 2-3 grain increments. I found that 3.5 grains of TG work fine. Of course so did 3.8. I'm going to load up some 4.0 today.

At the range when I was testing these, I also shot a few of my 124 gr Sig Sauer HP defensive rounds. Obviously they are higher power rounds than the above reloads.

Which got me thinking; I should go ahead and make my target loads at the higher loading. 9 MM is not a recoil intensive round to begin with and why not have target rounds that are at least closer to my defensive rounds in terms of felt recoil?

I understand the gamers like to load as low as they can go and still have the gun run well and in some cases make power factor. I assume this allows them to get follow up shots faster and hence lower stage times. I don't care about that. If I ever do any competitions, it will be to make me better and have some commardery. Not to see how high up the leaderboard I can get.

IMHO, practice rounds should be as close to defensive rounds as possible. Since I found 124 JHP that is nearly as cheap as 115 FMJ, I only load and shoot JHP now. They are about the same as the factory self-defense rounds I use.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Unfortunately not a thang, cause I got a hairbrained idea to change the bench out and then one thing led to another resulting in me setting here waiting on new press mounts.
    Not shown are several more presses that I'm still trying to figure out space for.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
      bench.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

I was loading pretty warm practice loads with BE86 (same powder as in factory HSTs) and they were downright snappy for a 9mm. Felt like a .40 to be honest. In my P10S it was about as much recoil as I can manage and still make time and targets. 4.6gr of BE86 under a 147 is hotter than any factory carry ammo I've tried to date (gold dot, HSTs, PDX1)

I've moved to testing some lighter loads with Sport Pistol. But it has more to do with getting 2000+ rounds for a pound than it does with wanting to reduce recoil. I dropped from 4.6gr of BE86 with a 147gr bullet to 3.1gr of Sport Pistol with a 125. Yes, quite a contrast. I need to test them to see if they will cycle my carry gun reliably. (I'm guessing they will, as book max for SP with a 125 cast is 3.9gr).

Sport pistol is getting rave reviews, so I bought a keg based on that alone. That, and I've had exceptionally good luck with newer Alliant powders (BE86/RL16/26/ARComp). (not to mention it has very low charge weights and is a good bit faster burning than BE86).

Sport pistol is basically a more temp stable Titegroup that burns a little cleaner too. Supposedly low smoke also. And super low burn temp so as to not melt polymer coatings like Hi Tek. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that training with the same recoil as your defensive ammo is necessary within a given caliber. What's more important is to develop sound fundamentals and keep a cool head. I doubt that if you get a lot of range time with somewhat mild load that it all falls apart with warmer loads in an adrenaline-dump scenario. You can't even feel the recoil in the heat of battle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was loading pretty warm practice loads with BE86 (same powder as in factory HSTs) and they were downright snappy for a 9mm. Felt like a .40 to be honest. In my P10S it was about as much recoil as I can manage and still make time and targets. 4.6gr of BE86 under a 147 is hotter than any factory carry ammo I've tried to date (gold dot, HSTs, PDX1)

I've moved to testing some lighter loads with Sport Pistol. But it has more to do with getting 2000+ rounds for a pound than it does with wanting to reduce recoil. I dropped from 4.6gr of BE86 with a 147gr bullet to 3.1gr of Sport Pistol with a 125. Yes, quite a contrast. I need to test them to see if they will cycle my carry gun reliably. (I'm guessing they will, as book max for SP with a 125 cast is 3.9gr).

Sport pistol is getting rave reviews, so I bought a keg based on that alone. That, and I've had exceptionally good luck with newer Alliant powders (BE86/RL16/26/ARComp). (not to mention it has very low charge weights and is a good bit faster burning than BE86).

Sport pistol is basically a more temp stable Titegroup that burns a little cleaner too. Supposedly low smoke also. And super low burn temp so as to not melt polymer coatings like Hi Tek. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that training with the same recoil as your defensive ammo is necessary within a given caliber. What's more important is to develop sound fundamentals and keep a cool head. I doubt that if you get a lot of range time with somewhat mild load that it all falls apart with warmer loads in an adrenaline-dump scenario. You can't even feel the recoil in the heat of battle.

Thanks! Definitely something to consider. I won't get to my defensive round felt recoil, but I'd be above a powder puff load. I know 3.5 works, 3.8 doesn't increase recoil much. If the 4.0 rounds tomorrow increase recoil noticeably, I'll most likely go with 3.8. This will still be a medium load and I will be sure the gun will cycle even when dirty.

Good assessment of input I'm looking for.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

I load 124gr FMJ over 3.8 of TG. Great round. Have went to 4.0 but felt it unnecessary.

I agree with your thinking about felt recoil. Keep it as close as possible.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Top Bottom