• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    See now this has always confused me too...plenty of stores that are legal to be open 7 days a week close on weekends or close early on Sundays or whatever to give people a bit of a break. Why do they oppose being able to run their business as they see fit?

It is not that liquor store owners want Sundays off. The reason they oppose lifting the prohibition is that they realize more than half of the population does their weekly grocery shopping on Sunday. If they are able to stock up on booze at the same time, those shoppers are less likely to visit a liquor store during the rest of the week.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And in typical fashion, instead of the the liquor stores fighting to end all rent seeking to level the playing field, they fight to keep their own rent seeking.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Liquor Store owners want a 1 day alcohol sale. Maybe we should only have sales on Saturdays or Mondays. That way they only have to open one day a week and they can really exploit the monopoly powers they have!

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    I never knew it was the small liquor stores fighting against sunday sales, I may just ask my LLS (local liquor store) how they feel about it and vote with my wallet accordingly.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It's silly to me we can't. But what I don't understand is that it has been this way for so long why so many people still can't plan ahead and buy on Saturday.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    so are we going to allow package stores to sell milk, bread, and dipers? or are we going to keep supporting those with the deep pockets?

So instead of fighting to end another's protection, you fight for your own? The old saying 2 wrongs don't make a right comes to mind.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I guess I assume businesses fight for things that are in their best intrests

Not a fan of free markets, I take it? If it were up to me, nobody would have to have a license to buy or sell it and there would be no restrictions on when or where it was sold. With all the rent seeking done by every industry, it's no wonder our economy and government is a giant cluster ****. Each person who pushes for their little piece of the protectionist pie is part of the problem. But who cares, I'm getting mine.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.

Mom and Pop - like the behemoth know as Belmont Beverages here is Fort Wayne?

Public policy should not be based on trying to prop up one particular retail group. If that's the case why don't we prohibit sales of shoes on Sunday? Or guns, or any other product you can get at a small store and big store?

Assine.

Top Bottom