• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.

But even if Sunday sales were allowed, it doesn't mean that any liquor store MUST be open on Sunday.

But Liquor stores aside, I don't see how the state has rthe right to tell ANY type business when they can be open.

The REALITY to this is, the money that's being lost by people near the state line just driving over to the next state and buying liquor.

That's what we did when I used to live 20 miles from the Illinois line.

And I ALWAYS bought enough that it lasted me into the next week.
    So MY business from the local liquor store was LOST in the coming week.

How that HELPS Indiana liquor stores is beyond me...cuz if they were open, they'd have gotten my business and not somebody in Illinois.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    so are we going to allow package stores to sell milk, bread, and dipers? or are we going to keep supporting those with the deep pockets?

Sure. How many liquor stores would stock diapers? This argument falls apart with 49 unique pieces of evidence.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's silly to me we can't. But what I don't understand is that it has been this way for so long why so many people still can't plan ahead and buy on Saturday.

Why do you think you have authority to effect my planning? I went to my butcher several Sundays ago an he had some lamb shanks. They were nicely trimmed. Yet, I couldn't braise them because of religious crusaders and rent seeking cartels.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Guess who doesn't want cannabis to become legal in the US?

Los Zetas.

Politics makes strange bed fellows.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Be nice if we had a liquor store owner here that could chime in. I know someone that owns 3 stores in Evansville area, I will see if I can get hold of him and find out more info.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not a fan of free markets, I take it? If it were up to me, nobody would have to have a license to buy or sell it and there would be no restrictions on when or where it was sold. With all the rent seeking done by every industry, it's no wonder our economy and government is a giant cluster ****. Each person who pushes for their little piece of the protectionist pie is part of the problem. But who cares, I'm getting mine.

Exactly.

I doubt I'll ever visit another package store again. I'm tired of the crap.

If I can't buy it at the Meijer or Costco, I don't need to buy it.

Lets see how much money they can throw at the Indiana State Legislators when they don't have any sales.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boyc...n-on-Sunday-sales-is-repealed/116713505177998

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why shouldn't your local package store be allowed to sell a deck of playing cards?

Nobody here is arguing they shouldn't. You seem to be the only one arguing to maintain the status quo. Read my post up thread. I want to end all the ridiculous lisencing and regulations.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Nobody here is arguing they shouldn't. You seem to be the only one arguing to maintain the status quo. Read my post up thread. I want to end all the ridiculous lisencing and regulations.

I can agree with that, but since there is not a deregulation bill pending, but there is one that poses a threat to their business, I fail to grasp why people are so upset.

It's kind of hard for them to pool their money together to fight for deregulation when they spend it every year trying to keep from being thrown under the bus

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I can agree with that, but since there is not a deregulation bill pending, but there is one that poses a threat to their business, I fail to grasp why people are so upset.

It's kind of hard for them to pool their money together to fight for deregulation when they spend it every year trying to keep from being thrown under the bus

The bus of freedom, liberty and consumer choice?

Funny, last I checked freedom and liberty were only considered a "bus" by the statists.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Liquor store owners say that it cuts into their profit margin because they have to pay employees to come in on Sunday and pay for whatever other daily charges occur. If they've ever met my former manager, they'd know that being open on Sundays can only help them.

No it's not because it cuts into profits, it's because Grocery/Convenience/Drug stores should have to abide by the same laws and regulations as Liquor stores have to.

Make everyone go by the same laws and they have no problem with it. Right now the GC/CS?DS are excluded from laws such as they are allowed to have people under 21 roam the aisles, that's just one of many laws that are a NoNo for liquor stores.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No it's not because it cuts into profits, it's because Grocery/Convenience/Drug stores should have to abide by the same laws and regulations as Liquor stores have to.

Make everyone go by the same laws and they have no problem with it. Right now the GC/CS?DS are excluded from laws such as they are allowed to have people under 21 roam the aisles, that's just one of many laws that are a NoNo for liquor stores.
    :dunno:

I'm not sure where one has anything to do with the other. IMO both should be repealed. As should laws prohibiting minors into 'bars'. It's absurd.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone try and claim that because minors can walk into a grocery store, no one should be allowed to sell alcohol on Sundays.

That's one heck of a stretch there.

Top Bottom