• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Yes I believe that was the one. Kind of caught my eye but price not so much.

i really prefer the safety on the Mossberg’s versus the Big Green.
    I have the 590A1 Retrograde after owning the 590 version and I would say both have a quality build for the price and if you have the funds to get what you desire then go for it. If you do not, then either wait until you do or settle for something that you can afford. No matter what you buy, there is always a better version out there. Get the best that fit your income and requirements.

There is a concept called the "Boots Theory". In essence, it says "A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet". Kind of like the wife that buys 10 pairs of "cute" shoes that wear out in six months after being worn twice while the guy still has the same pair of dress shoes since high school. Which was the best buy? It depends on what your priorities are and how much you are able to spend.

If you are asking us to spend your money, I would say buy the Mossberg 590 Retrograde and go have fun. It sounds like it fits all of you criteria. There are tons of aftermarket bits and pieces and as someone said above, most are interchangeable within the 500 family. Hickok45 has some good videos on several shotguns that may sway your opinion as well.

And best of all, the 590 Retrograde has a bayonet lug because you know, you "need" one......

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Mossberg Maverick 88 is very inexpensive and is very reliable.

View attachment 300783

$210
    Free shipping.
    You can use that adapter to use mini shells also with this.
    My gunsmith told me you can even have the barrel threaded to accept chokes.

Almost forgot.
    You can buy aftermarket wood furniture for these as well. Mossberg 500 furniture fits them IIRC. Ebay has a lot of wood furniture for the 500 at decent prices.
    AM wood furniture, I really need to get out more.
    We have a shotgun an 870 barrel is like I think 22 inches too long for my taste. it’s ok but I really prefer the mossberg safety .

If parts were out there I wouldn’t mind retro fitting ghost ring sights and a heat shield if that were an option. Kind of looking just for diy options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    AM wood furniture, I really need to get out more.
    We have a shotgun an 870 barrel is like I think 22 inches too long for my taste. it’s ok but I really prefer the mossberg safety .

If parts were out there I wouldn’t mind retro fitting ghost ring sights and a heat shield if that were an option. Kind of looking just for diy options.
    I plan on getting a Mossberg Maverick 88 like the one in the link.
    I'll add a RDS to it, and I'm like you I like wood furniture. So that will be added also.
    I've kinda researched this out already, but haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Quality is at the top of the list. Which would your significant other want? A dozen daisies or one perfectly beautiful red rose?

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    That’s a matter of personal opinion. To me, yes quality is always important. I decided 30 years ago to buy quality over quantity. Turns out over time. You end up with both! My 2 cents

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A few years ago I worked in a gun shop, and we started getting calls looking for parts for Charles Daily shotguns, turns out, the foreign company that made them for Charles Daily went out of business, and when that happened parts dried up. And lots of people ended up with paper weights!

The influx of cheap foreign made shotguns has me warning people to be careful buying them, and telling them my history.

So, here’s my advice be careful buying inexpensive foreign made guns that you might not be able to find parts for!
    I have a LGS owner that bought a new Charles Daly that wouldn't chamber a round. He called the supplier and they told him, "they couldn't warrantee it since it had been taken out of the box." WTF kind of answer is that? He, myself and all I tell about it have sworn off the trash they advertise as useful...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have a LGS owner that bought a new Charles Daly that wouldn't chamber a round. He called the supplier and they told him, "they couldn't warrantee it since it had been taken out of the box." WTF kind of answer is that? He, myself and all I tell about it have sworn off the trash they advertise as useful...
    If the supplier said that, that’s understandable, if Charles Daily said that, that’s complete bull crap and I’d be done with them period! Wouldn’t ever look at another cd product again!

When I worked at a gun shop, if someone brought in a new gun with a problem, I would always say “call the manufacturer first”, the big reason, as soon as we started monkeying with it, it’d void any warranty, now grandpas 30 year old browning sweet 16, different story, we’d work on that!

But afaik zanders, davidsons, midway and rural king don’t have smiths on staff (I know rural king doesn’t), so supplies/distributors don’t warranty their products, you have to contact the manufacturer!

And here’s the big rub, with the amount of ar15 assemblers, buying that ar15 off ingo with the Colt/smith/Wilson combat lower, if you contact the manufacturer, they won’t warranty lowers they didn’t assemble! So buyer beware! No box, no paperwork, no store receipt (from the original purchase) to me means assembled on a workbench in a garage! So no warranty period!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If the supplier said that, that’s understandable, if Charles Daily said that, that’s complete bull crap and I’d be done with them period! Wouldn’t ever look at another cd product again!

When I worked at a gun shop, if someone brought in a new gun with a problem, I would always say “call the manufacturer first”, the big reason, as soon as we started monkeying with it, it’d void any warranty, now grandpas 30 year old browning sweet 16, different story, we’d work on that!

But afaik zanders, davidsons, midway and rural king don’t have smiths on staff (I know rural king doesn’t), so supplies/distributors don’t warranty their products, you have to contact the manufacturer!

And here’s the big rub, with the amount of ar15 assemblers, buying that ar15 off ingo with the Colt/smith/Wilson combat lower, if you contact the manufacturer, they won’t warranty lowers they didn’t assemble! So buyer beware! No box, no paperwork, no store receipt (from the original purchase) to me means assembled on a workbench in a garage! So no warranty period!
    My bad, I skipped a step, he called the supplier, the supplier told him to call the manufacturer and it was Daly who fed him that line of crap.

It would help if I were to re-read my posts...

Top Bottom