• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Been wanting a retro style shotgun for a bit, barrel guard, front rear sights, wood furniture. Looks like there are a few imports out there that seem to be in the affordable price range. Just can not justify spending $1100 on a retro grade. Also looking at big green home defender model. But again for just a range use shotgun and a want versus a need is the extra expense justified?

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    IMO, if it's just for plinking, I'd be fine buying something cheap knowing that quality might reflect price. I plan on buying a "cheap" AR to burn down for practice, then buy a more quality one for actual use.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A few years ago I worked in a gun shop, and we started getting calls looking for parts for Charles Daily shotguns, turns out, the foreign company that made them for Charles Daily went out of business, and when that happened parts dried up. And lots of people ended up with paper weights!

The influx of cheap foreign made shotguns has me warning people to be careful buying them, and telling them my history.

So, here’s my advice be careful buying inexpensive foreign made guns that you might not be able to find parts for!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Buy once, cry once.

I got burned pretty bad very early on in my time in the firearms community because I made an impulse purchase. Hasn’t happened since. I don’t have to buy the very tippy top of quality, but I have my limits depending on intended use and never buy below them. It SUCKS throwing money away because somebody sold you a turd…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If this guy was a little closer, it would be mine...

1694919570989.png

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Are you looking at new or used? I picked up some nice used ones reasonably priced. High Standard, Remington and an Ithaca.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A few years ago I worked in a gun shop, and we started getting calls looking for parts for Charles Daily shotguns, turns out, the foreign company that made them for Charles Daily went out of business, and when that happened parts dried up. And lots of people ended up with paper weights!

The influx of cheap foreign made shotguns has me warning people to be careful buying them, and telling them my history.

So, here’s my advice be careful buying inexpensive foreign made guns that you might not be able to find parts for!
    That is common on a lot of 3rd world produced products. They may make a boat load, and maybe a second boat load, but when it is done, that is it, no parts, no service. when it quits throw it away. People bring those chinese scooters and power equipment to shops every day and with no parts, they are not worth working on. You hate to throw away a $400 product for the lack of a $20 part, but that happens. Home appliances are getting that way too. Pay more up front and you may avoid the disappointment.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

HA..
    Just sell your Customer 3 new firearms=2 to shoot+ 1 for parts===Or is that the other way around??..Bill.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Mossy retrogrades aren't that expensive.

But to answer the question, there is definitely a tier of "fun guns" that are not immediate protectors of life and freedom. It's okay if they're subpar. My first 12ga was an H&R 870 clone and I have many fond memories blasting cardboard boxes in the national forest with Walmart ammo because I was too broke to know better.

JohnnyTre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Jasper County
    I agree with knutty. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at what you can find in the used market when it comes to Mossbergs and 870's. I picked a beat up 870 once in the classifieds here for $75. Wilson Combat still has their Remington Steal service where they will refurbishe a customer supplied 870. Cost is $230 to $475 based on options.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230918_075206_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20230918_075206_Chrome.jpg
      187.5 KB · Views: 8

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Used 500’s, and 870’s are out there, I currently have an H&R single, but that could change if I found the right deal for a pump…. Just look on here, or your LGS… good luck!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Mossy retrogrades aren't that expensive.

But to answer the question, there is definitely a tier of "fun guns" that are not immediate protectors of life and freedom. It's okay if they're subpar. My first 12ga was an H&R 870 clone and I have many fond memories blasting cardboard boxes in the national forest with Walmart ammo because I was too broke to know better.
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but if I recall they were north of $1K

I think for me with the caveat that it’s only going to be filling a recreational role, the sweet spot is often not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Is this what you're talking about?

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but if I recall they were north of $1K

I think for me with the caveat that it’s only going to be filling a recreational role, the sweet spot is often not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Quality is great buy reliability is all that's an absolute need, IMO.

If I was offered a choice right now between a custom Atlas 2011 that for whatever reason never ran more than a few shots without a malfunction VS a hi point that never malfunctioned I'd take the hi point. Probably not but you get the point.

If you really want the $1100 one just make sure they're known for reliability. Quality + reliability + you liking it and you can't go wrong.

Edit:

And although I've likely had fewer firearms in my life than 95% of people here I've found that every time I bought the cheaper option of what I really wanted I never ended up happy.

Usually I'd end up selling the cheaper option at a loss and buy the one I should have.

Someone on this forum said that they were too poor to buy cheap stuff. Hearing that changed the way I buy things because I'm in that boat as well. No more temporary fixes and selling at a loss when I get the higher quality thing.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Similar but the one I was looking had had a heat shield, front rear sights a few more bells and whistles
    You were probably looking at the Mossberg 590 Retrograde. Those go for $650ish new. The 590A1 Retrograde gets you closer to $900+. They are quite nice but I do not see the Retrograde version used for sale to often.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Two kinds of quality. The construction, design, metallurgy and function is all that really matters. The finish, features and any bling is the other.

The M&P (military and Police) finish firearms were all way high quality in the function and reliability, with the cheapest durable finish. I am fine with that.

Collectors traditionally like bling. Old hot rodders used to say, Chrome doesn't win the race. I pretty much think like that.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You were probably looking at the Mossberg 590 Retrograde. Those go for $650ish new. The 590A1 Retrograde gets you closer to $900+. They are quite nice but I do not see the Retrograde version used for sale to often.
    Yes I believe that was the one. Kind of caught my eye but price not so much.

i really prefer the safety on the Mossberg’s versus the Big Green.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Been wanting a retro style shotgun for a bit, barrel guard, front rear sights, wood furniture. Looks like there are a few imports out there that seem to be in the affordable price range. Just can not justify spending $1100 on a retro grade. Also looking at big green home defender model. But again for just a range use shotgun and a want versus a need is the extra expense justified?
    Mossberg Maverick 88 is very inexpensive and is very reliable.

1695348515373.png

$210
    Free shipping.
    You can use that adapter to use mini shells also with this.
    My gunsmith told me you can even have the barrel threaded to accept chokes.

Almost forgot.
    You can buy aftermarket wood furniture for these as well. Mossberg 500 furniture fits them IIRC. Ebay has a lot of wood furniture for the 500 at decent prices.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom