• ...and so much more!
  • gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I need a snow throwers/blower.
    I'm looking for something big enough to clear a sidewalk (~10 houses long) and some driveways.
    I imagine an electric start and something larger than 9 hp and dual augers is desirable but I don't know where to begin with makes or models etc.

I would greatly appreciate what brands or models to look for or avoid. I reckon I can put in about $600 or so.

From what I can tell the "older" models appear better built.
    All advice/help is welcomed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I bought mine at Tractor Supply a few years back for around $500. Gas powered w/ electric start and about 40". It takes on my 100' driveway and does it clear in about 5-6 passes. Has a Tecumseh on it and really does a good job.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I need a snow throwers/blower.
    I'm looking for something big enough to clear a sidewalk (~10 houses long) and some driveways.
    I imagine an electric start and something larger than 9 hp and dual augers is desirable but I don't know where to begin with makes or models etc.

I would greatly appreciate what brands or models to look for or avoid. I reckon I can put in about $600 or so.

From what I can tell the "older" models appear better built.
    All advice/help is welcomed.

I've got an MTD, 2 stage, 8 Horse, about 5 forward speeds and 2 reverse I think. It can be one wheel drive or locked up for posi track. AC electric start, I wouldn't get one with out the electric start.

I couldn't wear it out in 5 years in Wisconsin but I almost never even get it out down here in the tropics of Indiana. I'd just get a shovel if it was me for down here.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I bought a Craftsman several years back, haven't had any problems with it, only one minor complaint , it needs wider tires.
    but it beats a shovel anyday of the week.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    buy a single stage if you are just going to use it a little! I have both - single stage and dual stage. Single stage has the "beater bars" that clean right down to the pavement. They help "pull" the machine along, but they generaly aren't self propelled.

Dual stage are big and heavy. They are GREAT for big snows (8+"). For all other central indiana snows, they are generally overkill. They are very heavy to turn around and use. This gets annoying on the 1" - 3" snows. It's just as heavy to move around.

We have a dual stage MTD that we have used for 10+ years. Last year, we bought a Toro 221 QR. It's right around your budget. Not only is it guaranteed to start, but it's a joy to use. It has the quick change lever where you can move the chute 180 degrees in a split second. you don't have to stop throwing snow and crank an auger-like lever to slowly redirect the chute. It's genius. Also, there is a misconception that they can't move much snow. That's BS. It'll throw it up to 30 feet and can go into 10" of snow. Once in a while, we get more snow then that. No big deal, make the wife do the driveway twice.

Yes, the older 2 stroke toros are desireable (S200, 620, etc...). They run forever and there still seems to be a lot of parts available. Unless you are a small engine junkie, I would buy a newer one. Craigslist is OK, but you are entering the high demand time now.

I would find a 221QR and be done with it. I can't wait to use mine more this year.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I just bought and Ariens track drive unit. My driveway is over 300' long and there aren't many trees or houses for half a mile on one side (west side) and to the north is 100 acre open field. Drifts kill me on the small snow falls. My unit was a little more then what you are looking to spend, but the build of them appear to be very sturdy. I know the wheeled units go significantly cheaper but i am unable to say for sure how much. (It also came with heated handgrips:rockwoot:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Get a DR Field and Brush Mower and the Snowblower attachment so you can use it for cutting deer and ATV trails in the non-snowy months.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I have a Huskee from Tractor Supply. Two-stage 24" width and 8 hp Briggs.

Pros: Plenty of power, electric start, has been problem free for 10 years.

Cons: Tires too small and needs chains in heavier stuff.

Top Bottom