Snopes has to do a 180 about Elon Musk's Starlink being involved in the Submarine Loss

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    RADIO WAVES DON'T WORK UNDERWATER.

To create an antenna powerful enough to reach any submarine on Earth, plans called for a grid of cables 6,000 miles long — and to protect them from potential Soviet nuclear attacks, they'd all be buried six feet underground.

IMG_8061.jpeg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To create an antenna powerful enough to reach any submarine on Earth, plans called for a grid of cables 6,000 miles long — and to protect them from potential Soviet nuclear attacks, they'd all be buried six feet underground.

View attachment 282778
    And the transmitting freq is ELF.
    Basically it can send codes, such as, come to periscope depth to receive radio traffic.

Reactions: oze

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment

View attachment 282778

Just asking.....wouldn't they have to be more than 6 feet deep to prevent destruction via a nuclear device?
    Maybe closer to 800~1000 feet?

I've seen an ELF antennae array in Upper Michigan, not sure of it's purpose there, unless it can reach the Atlantic, or it's in case Canada goes wobbly.
    But as long as I'm here asking, have US submarines ever operated in the Great Lakes? Certainly they can gain access through the locks, just like the large freighters, but aside from possible training scenarios, or museum delivery (how did the U-boat at the Museum of Science and Industry get there?) did they ever conduct combat patrols (mebbe WW2 :n00b: or a missle sub safe from enemy torpedoes)?

@actaeon277 , any idea?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And the transmitting freq is ELF.
    Basically it can send codes, such as, come to periscope depth to receive radio traffic.
    As a Maryland kid, across the Severn River from the Naval Academy is David Taylor Research, Marine Barracks with a 100 yd range, a few other things and until 1999 builds and nineteen towers stood on that property that were built in 1941 for ship & submarine communications. They left three of the towers as landmarks when they were scrapped. Down in Calvert Co Md there is more modern Navy communication buildings and antennas.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just asking.....wouldn't they have to be more than 6 feet deep to prevent destruction via a nuclear device?
    Maybe closer to 800~1000 feet?

I've seen an ELF antennae array in Upper Michigan, not sure of it's purpose there, unless it can reach the Atlantic, or it's in case Canada goes wobbly.
    But as long as I'm here asking, have US submarines ever operated in the Great Lakes? Certainly they can gain access through the locks, just like the large freighters, but aside from possible training scenarios, or museum delivery (how did the U-boat at the Museum of Science and Industry get there?) did they ever conduct combat patrols (mebbe WW2 :n00b: or a missle sub safe from enemy torpedoes)?

@actaeon277 , any idea?
    6' is plenty deep. Except for a direct hit. But those typically dont happen as they air burst them for maximum efficiency. The blast will parallel the ground, and wont even begin to disturb something 6' under.

Those ELFs dont have to be near water as I recall.

Top Bottom