• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Well like the title says whats your opinion on the best screwdrivers for the job?
    I have had a Wheeler set for a long time, however the quality of the Wheeler set is very poor. The drivers don't hold the tips well and the tips break easily.
    Any suggestions on a quality screwdriver?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I like Grace USA, decent hollow ground screw drivers at a good price. I'm sure there are better but I have no complaints. I haven't mucked up a screw head in a long time.

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I got a Forster set a while ago for a birthday. I really like them. I'd like to think I don't abuse my tools, but thus far no brakes or otherwise with my Forster's.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I got this set for Christmas, and don't know how I ever did without it!
    Weaver 88-Piece Deluxe Gunsmithing Hammer Punch Screwdriver Tool Kit

This looks like a fairly comprehensive toolset that'd be a good starter set of tools. BTW, is there any reference guide about which bits are for which screws or what size screws are part of a particular gun short of trial and error? Sometimes a bit seems to fit very close but may not be the actual correct bit.

Never heard of Weaver, how good are they?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I think Im going to go with the Magna Tip set from Brownells...
    l_080112081_1.jpg

58 bit master set for $130

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    This looks like a fairly comprehensive toolset that'd be a good starter set of tools. BTW, is there any reference guide about which bits are for which screws or what size screws are part of a particular gun short of trial and error? Sometimes a bit seems to fit very close but may not be the actual correct bit.

Never heard of Weaver, how good are they?
    It's the same weaver that makes scope bases and rings and such. I'm sure it's made by someone else, then branded Weaver. Quality seems good. I haven't snapped a punch yet! (I've broken a bunch of cheap punches in the past, so I have this set plus several partial sets!) The bits are marked by size, but I'd assume that the only way to size what you are working on is trial and error! Better to start too big than too small! I can say that I haven't messed up a flathead since I got this set! Definitely a good starter set for basic smithing!

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    No Brainer ... do the Brownell's set.

Even a smaller set would do if you are not making a living at gunsmithing. I prefer the shorter handled magnetic Law Enforcement screwdriver. No need for the long handle in my opinion. Stay close and in control of the tip.

I have this set and it has met every need for me. $74

PS, If you order today there is free shipping.. Code FAV

l_080107804_2.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I guess a lot of this depends upon what you tend to work on. I've owned several sets, and use them for trips out shooting or hunting, but I've never found them to work all that well for me. I work on a lot of old, custom made stuff. English, Euro, and American SxS's, sporterized Mausers, large bore rifles, and classic pistols and rifles. None of the kits seem to do much. I bought a couple of grinding wheels from Brownell's. You chuck them in a drill press, run them slow, and grind to fit a given application. When I'm out with my wife at the flea markets I usually look for older, beat up, screw drivers that tend to sell for a buck or so. I toss these in a bin I have near the bench, and grind something new whenever what I've already ground doesn't fit. I also used to pick up the black handled, semi-cheap, drivers at Wholesale Tool, until they closed the Indy location. They worked well and seldom bent or broke. Long story short, experiment, but you can get a whole lot of perfectly fitting screwdrivers this way and for not a lot of expense.
    Luck,
    Jim

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    JIM you have the right idea . You dress each driver tip for the specific screw. I use a file to get close then a hand stone to make a snug fit on the width & thickness .You want to buy a set that you can get more tips for to fit them to specific gun screws.
    Its like 1911's 'Fit each part. No drop in parts or screwdrivers

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have the Brownells set and really like it. I have had no problems out of them. The only problem I have is I don't have a big enough set. I have had to order some tips ever now and then when I fiend a screw that I don't have a tip for.

Top Bottom