• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Speer short barrel 38 spl +P Gold Dots when I had one, don't carry magnums in it IMHO. Recoil is like getting hit in the hand by a freaking baseball bat.

About 20 minutes in is the recoil comparison going from standard 38spl to 357magnum full house loads

Will add I got rid of this to fund a P365X with a dot and regret nothing :abused:

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I like the 135gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel load as well. It's designed for snubbies, and even the magnum version of the load isn't too bad on the recoil (relatively speaking, of course). The only problem is that it's been kind of hard to find in recent years.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I recommend 148gr wadcutters.
    If you want light recoil and decent penetration.

38 Special Federal Gold Metal Match is a good one.
    ^^THIS^^ a proven effective round out of snubbies. Not sexy or exciting but does what it’s suppose to.
    Hornady Critical Defense in 110 seems like a decent snub round as well. You don’t really want something to high power in a scandium the juice just isn’t with the squeeze in 2” or less guns!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'll cast another vote for the full-wadcutters as well. Easy shooting, accurate, and good terminal performance. They also tend to hit to point of aim on my fixed-sight guns. The only thing I don't like is that they can be a bit fiddely on reloads compared to a more rounded or pointed projectile...the flat face provides nothing to help guide the round into the chamber. Not a big deal on the static range, but it can be an issue on the clock or under pressure.

ETA: I just remembered we're talking about the Scandium guns. Most of those have a titanium cylinder. Those cylinders require some special care when cleaning, and can be damaged if you use the wrong chemicals or harsh abrasives. Thankfully my Scandium 360 has a steel cylinder, so I've not had to worry about it, but there are things that I do to remove leading in my steel cylinder guns that I wouldn't do with titanium. If the OP's gun has a titanium cylinder, I'd probably recommend sticking to jacketed bullets just to simplify that cleaning process.

Last edited:

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    In my 340PD it's usually 38 Special Hornady critical defense 110+P. They always seem to be available for purchase when everything else is hard to find. Also use the Speer 38+P 135 gold dot short barrel. The magnum short barrel version of the same 135 gold dot is somewhat tolerable in the 340PD ☺

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’d say for .38 spcl, 148 grn wadcutters loaded up some more than the usual bunny fart loads at a little higher velocity to ensure penetration. :dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’d say for .38 spcl, 148 grn wadcutters loaded up some more than the usual bunny fart loads at a little higher velocity to ensure penetration. :dunno:

This has a 38 Special wadcutter ballistic gel test it also has MDF board to represent bone.
    You'd be surprised how much penetration the low velocity 148gr wadcutters can achieve in a snubnose revolver.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I shoot nothing but. 357 in my 360 Airweight and stick with either 125 gr Golden Saber or the Barnes 125 gr TAC XPD as both clock around 1200 fps out of a short barrel.

The first thing I did was get rid of the useless stock grip and put a Hogue monogrip on it, what a difference that made in felt recoil and it is very manageable. The grip adds about ½" to the length but still makes it very concealable and pocket carry is still good.

Top Bottom